A walk with just Po

Upload pictures of your dogs here!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Lauram

A walk with just Po

Post by Lauram »

I have just got a new camera. Poor Po has been photographed over and over again, such a wierdo hound, he loves it really. Here are some ones of just him.

Mattie

Re: A walk with just Po

Post by Mattie »

WOW what ears :lol: He has a lovely kind face.
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]
josie1918

Post by josie1918 »

Oh my goodness, I want to hug him and a big kiss right in between his ears would make me happy too. What a DOLL!!!
***Melissa***

Post by ***Melissa*** »

Aww, he's the sweetest thing :D (and your piccies are gorgeous - as always)
There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face. ~Ben Williams
Salomé

Post by Salomé »

I know I've never posted to you before but I have to say, I can never get over the photos you take. Quite seriously, you must take some of the best photos I've seen of dogs. I simply can't believe that you don't use a high-end DSLR for these!! It's incredible! I usually lurk and don't feel very comfortable posting, but I simply have to ask: what camera are you using now?

BTW, the photographer can only do so much if his subject is not memorable or charismatic. And your dogs are most definitely memorable and charismatic! But really, your photos are amazing. And that part is all you, and all talent. The ones you took in a prior thread in particular. My sister was a very famous photographer (fashion photographer/French Vogue/ European circuit), so I know a little about photography and yet again, I'm just struck by your photos and what you've done. Particularly your action shots given the camera you had before (a Fuji, I think you said). It's hard to capture movement and lighting as you've done, while *also* capturing the essence of your subject. I'm truly impressed.

BTW, you should consider submitting a collection of these to a photo agent or a publishing agent (2 diff. things). Add on a narrative, focus on your audience, tailor your photos and the text to a specific group, and get an agent. I mean it. Your prior photos in particular, because they were truly something that makes one take pause.

S-
Lauram

Post by Lauram »

Wow, thank you so much for your comments, I only post pics in the hope that you guys will like my dogs, they are such a big part of my life, I enjoy sharing them with people. I've got a lot of photos and I don't really know what to do with them but a few people do like them and it seems a shame to leave them in a box or even worse on a computer screen.

The camera I have now is a Nikon D5000, its not bad but nothing compared to the high end Dslr's on the market. I saved my tips for months and it was the best I could buy with the money available.

I was blown away by your comments salome', I never thought they were good, just showed the muts in a good light.

Thank you very much
Doglover42

Post by Doglover42 »

Wow hes so beautiful! and wonderful pictures!
Nikon D5000s are amazing cameras!!
Salomé

Post by Salomé »

Lauram wrote:I was blown away by your comments salome', I never thought they were good, just showed the muts in a good light.

Thank you very much
Well, it was very sincere. The photos you had in the other thread a little while back truly amazed me. And I was glad someone spoke up and asked about your camera at the time, because I can be shy but I was definitely curious. I couldn't believe what you could do with that tiny camera.

I like to think that I have a good eye for photography having been inundated from childhood with one sister who was a huge success in the fashion photography world but also another one who does very artistic photography. I have also been around a lot of photograhers in my life, so I think I can tell when someone is a natural by now. And I have actually a good track record in terms of recognising talent. I have a friend whom I pushed nonstop about doing her photography professionally because her talent was really flabergasting; now, she's managed to set up a really successful business doing something she actually wasn't trained to do and she's now booked up 3 months in advance. And another friend followed my advice and spoke to publishers and he will be putting out a book sometime soon. A third friend is starting to submit his photos to very avant-garde galleries and just got an offer of a solo exhibition in Berlin.

My point in all this is that I think you have a talent that you should think about seriously. And it might surprise you where you can go with it. There are several alternative routes depending on your time and what you want to give to it. The most minor is to take photos at dog parks of other people's dogs and get paid per picture. It's not a lot and it's hugely profitable by any means, but if it's something that you just do occasionally, it's a way to make a tiny bit of money on the side. I've seen professional photographers come to the dog park I go to on their days off and just to practice a little; you have no idea how many of the owners just go crazy for a perfect, high-resolution photo of their dog in action. And they're willing to pay $29 per photo, for multiple photos that the photographer took on the side without thinking and that he just has to put on a disc for them. It's easy money, but for potential customers to bite, you really have to impress them with the telephoto lens and thousands and THOUSANDS worth of equipment that is just not realistic for most people who aren't professionals trying to make a quick $200 on the side on their days off.

What I would suggest for you is to go the coffee table book route. Text and words appealing to not just dog-lovers but those who love a country life. You live in the UK, right? The market there for that is probably better than even here, although in the US there is always a huge demands for country-living photo books.

If you don't believe that there is a hugely -- HUGELY -- profitable career in very specific niche photography involving dogs, then look up William Wegman who made a fortune focusing SOLELY on Weimaraners! I kid you not. He's no longer in vogue as he once was, but he's still raking it in. Check out Amazon to see just how broad his reach of dog photos goes: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_ ... fix=Wegman

Wegman caught the perfect wave when it came to his dog photos, just as that other woman (whose name I can never remember) did with baby photos. But the more successful business plan now, esp. on a long term basis, is to capitalise on the lifestyle living-mixed with coffeetable-artsy crowd. By that, I mean the Martha Stewart type of people who take advantage of those like Madonna (nouveau riche trying to live the English life) who want to submerse themselves in English country living.

Your photos in the prior thread of hounds in action is a perfect way to bring that in. (I'll be blunt, those photos were much more absorbing and beautiful than these. These ones are good, but those were GREAT!) What you need to do then is to create a story line and have text about something to do with English country living. Now you may ask, "what can I really say? I'm not living at Chatsworth and having sconces for tea." But that's not what people want. Especially nowadays. They don't the impossible, ephemeral, totally intangible life that was once the aim in the 90s and 00s. But they do want to live vicariously.

I should shut up now. I certainly don't mean to seem like I'm lecturing and possibly, you're not interested at all. But just know, I think you do have the talent to take this further. {hugs}
Salomé

Post by Salomé »

Damnit, I wish one could edit one's posts.

When I said somewhat early up in the most that "it's hugely profitable by any means," I meant to say it's NOT hugely profitable by any means. It was a typo of omission. Hopefully, the context made things clear, but I thought I should clarify nonetheless.
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

They are indeed super photos and I agree you are very talented.

Paranoid old Nettle that I am, may I suggest that you watermark them (please don't ask ME how :lol: I'm not at all technical) when you post them up on the 'Net, as people DO "steal" photos and there isn't much you can do about it. If you get a sideline going you don't want to lose your copyright.

Worth offering some of these to publishers of country books and magazines.

See, we are getting you a new career whether you wanted one or not!
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
Leigha

Post by Leigha »

I believe you can add watermarks using any photo-editing software program. J's the photographer in the family, so when he's up from his nap I'll as him.

To your credit Lauram--yes, you do have a wonderful camera... BUT, photos like that don't come from the camera they come from the person. We have a really good camera as well, and J's pictures are ALWAYS better than mine (and not just better... but BETTER). There's something about taking really moving photos that requires a person to "have it" You really do, and no matter what camera I use, I just don't (but, I can bake the hell out of just about anything, so I guess baking's what I was blessed with). The photographer who took mine and my husbands engagement pictures one time made the comment that an expensive camera doesn't make a photographer, she was right. It doesn't matter what kind of camera you have, if you're good at it, you're good at it. You are VERY good at it! I think sometimes we give more credit to the machine than to the person running the machine, when it's the person who deserves it.

So anyway, I hope that came out as the compliment I intended it to.
jacksdad

Post by jacksdad »

yes, very nice pictures.
HunniBunni

Post by HunniBunni »

Ohhh great pictures! I love your dog too. He looks like a Jim Henson muppet. He is too cute!
Doglover Toyah

Post by Doglover Toyah »

Great pics
He is beautiful
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

Oooh thats the camera I am contemplating buying!

Now... will it make me as good a photographer... hmm :lol:
West Midlands based 1-2-1 Training & Behaviour Canine Consultant