Raymond, bloodtracking

Upload pictures of your dogs here!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Siw-Malin Bye

Raymond, bloodtracking

Post by Siw-Malin Bye »

Don't know what this sport is called in english, don't know if it exist outside Scandinavia actually, but I know that dogs are used for tracking wounded game all over the world:)

We call it bloodtracking. The dog is supposed to follow a track/trail of blood from an animal, and then find the animal in the end. One can do this just for fun, or to get certified for tracking down wounded animals.

This is Raymond on the track:

And of course he found his reward:

And of course we got our reward to :D

Love this Sport because it's so easy, and it's focused on tracking only :)

Anyone else into tracking, search'n'rescue etc here? :)
Siw-Malin Bye

Re: Raymond, bloodtracking

Post by Siw-Malin Bye »

some pictures taken by another photographer :)

Sanna

Post by Sanna »

Oh he is gorgeous! Love the pic of him jumping, that's one focused doggie :lol: and I'm totally craving 'vaffel med brunost' right now.. ;)

Edited to add: missed your question there- I am hoping to do more tracking/ searching with Precious. We are only doing very basic stuff like barrel searches at the moment but he goes nuts for it (and he did indeed come in useful when I lost my phone in a field the other week :D ). I'm pretty sure he would LOVE blood tracking.. How did you start off training with Raymond?
Last edited by Sanna on Thu May 08, 2014 4:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

It's a wonderful activity for a dog :) our deerstalkers are strongly encouraged to train a dog for this too. Some like a little dog that can sit up in a high seat, but that would be unsuitable for Raymond! :lol:

As an activity, a lot of pet dogs would feel so fulfilled by being allowed to track like that. Raymond looks so happy!
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
Siw-Malin Bye

Post by Siw-Malin Bye »

Sanna wrote:Oh he is gorgeous! Love the pic of him jumping, that's one focused doggie :lol: and I'm totally craving 'vaffel med brunost' right now.. ;)

Edited to add: missed your question there- I am hoping to do more tracking/ searching with Precious. We are only doing very basic stuff like barrel searches at the moment but he goes nuts for it (and he did indeed come in useful when I lost my phone in a field the other week :D ). I'm pretty sure he would LOVE blood tracking.. How did you start off training with Raymond?
"vaffel med brunost" is the only thing we Norwegians can brag about on the food-front ;P got to love Norwegians waffles, the Belgians can go to bed as we say in Norway 8)

What's barrel search?

Dog surely love to search and be useful=) "object-search" is definitely useful, good boy/girl Precious who found your phone! :D I sent my oldest Rottweiler-boy out in the garden to find my phone some months ago.. I knew he found it when I heard a crunch and a crack :lol:

To to bloodtracking, one need of course blood, than a part of an animal, most common in Norway are hooves/feet, but some also use hide/skin, but then it need to be "fresh", meaning not tanned/treated. One also need something to mark the track/trail you walk, especially if there is a lot of game there.

One mark the track with kicking up some vegetation/soil on the ground, not to big area, but bigger than a footprint, squirt some blood in it. It should simulate the area where the animal got injured. In the beginning I used the hoof to kick up the ground.

Then I, in the beginning drag the hoof after me, simultaneously dripping a drop (or some drops in the beginning) for ever step I took. The dripping and dragging is done next to where I walk. Of course the dogs also take the human track, but one should try to teach them to only follow the blood.

The track should be "spiced up" with some areas in the track where one kick up the ground and squirt some more blood than the rest of the track, to simulate that the animal has lied down for a rest.

In the end, one kick up the ground again, tie up the foot/hoof, and squirt the same blood on it.

In Norway the rules state that the hoof shouldn't be dragged, apparently wounded animals gets wings to fly on, so they only leave a trail of blood :P And there should also be 10 m in a straight line and 10 m in a angled line with out blood.. those magical flying deers of Norway :lol:
Siw-Malin Bye

Post by Siw-Malin Bye »

Nettle wrote:It's a wonderful activity for a dog :) our deerstalkers are strongly encouraged to train a dog for this too. Some like a little dog that can sit up in a high seat, but that would be unsuitable for Raymond! :lol:

As an activity, a lot of pet dogs would feel so fulfilled by being allowed to track like that. Raymond looks so happy!
It certainly is a wonderful activity for them :) And as you say, a lot of pet dogs would be fulfilled, it really drains them, and it don't take any more time than a walk. once on get the hang of it, it really takes no time at all. I lay the track 12-24 hours before we take it. So then I use like 15-20 minutes one day, and 15-20 minutes the next day:)

Sitting up in a high seat would be difficult for Raymond, unless some has a strong back and good balance to carry him up :p But, he wouldn't sit still if he saw a deer..... Life's irony, when my huskies died out, I thought I should get other breeds, since we have so much wildlife where we moved to, and I didn't want to risk getting a dog that couldn't be of leash.. But unlike two of my huskies who,ran away after game when they where of leash, two of my Rottweilers do if I'm not alert :roll:
ckranz

Post by ckranz »

Those 1st photos really capture both the event and your dog very very well. Looks like a fun activity.
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

I love to see a dog absorbed in his work, and those photos really show it in Raymond... OK, it's not so great watching Jasper take off after a deer knowing that he's bound to come back with a few war wounds and be stiff and creaky the next day, but it's that utter absorption - it's like a whole new portion of his brain has been activated (which may well actually be the case). Can we have some of your magic flying reindeer over here, please :lol:

Second to last pic in your first post is gorgeous :D
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
Sanna

Post by Sanna »

Siw-Malin Bye wrote: What's barrel search?

Dog surely love to search and be useful=) "object-search" is definitely useful, good boy/girl Precious who found your phone! :D I sent my oldest Rottweiler-boy out in the garden to find my phone some months ago.. I knew he found it when I heard a crunch and a crack :lol:

To to bloodtracking, one need of course blood, than a part of an animal, most common in Norway are hooves/feet, but some also use hide/skin, but then it need to be "fresh", meaning not tanned/treated. One also need something to mark the track/trail you walk, especially if there is a lot of game there.

One mark the track with kicking up some vegetation/soil on the ground, not to big area, but bigger than a footprint, squirt some blood in it. It should simulate the area where the animal got injured. In the beginning I used the hoof to kick up the ground.

Then I, in the beginning drag the hoof after me, simultaneously dripping a drop (or some drops in the beginning) for ever step I took. The dripping and dragging is done next to where I walk. Of course the dogs also take the human track, but one should try to teach them to only follow the blood.

The track should be "spiced up" with some areas in the track where one kick up the ground and squirt some more blood than the rest of the track, to simulate that the animal has lied down for a rest.

In the end, one kick up the ground again, tie up the foot/hoof, and squirt the same blood on it.

In Norway the rules state that the hoof shouldn't be dragged, apparently wounded animals gets wings to fly on, so they only leave a trail of blood :P And there should also be 10 m in a straight line and 10 m in a angled line with out blood.. those magical flying deers of Norway :lol:
Aah the elusive Norwegian Flying Deer, I've not heard of those before :lol:

Barrel search is basically the big brother of the cup game ;) we use anything from 4 to around 20 barrels (too big for the dog to knock over easily) and hide an article under one of them, then send the dog to find it. Because the dog can't get the article it has to indicate, with P I am working on sit&bark by the correct barrel. I do a version of this out on walks as well, in the absence of barrels I will just hide his toy somewhere he can't actually grab it (other side of a fence, underneath something, high up etc), the goal being him telling me when he finds it as opposed to picking it up and *crunch-crack-gulp-oops.. :lol:

I would really like to try more tracking with him tho, thanks for the detailed explanation :)
Siw-Malin Bye

Post by Siw-Malin Bye »

ckranz wrote:Those 1st photos really capture both the event and your dog very very well. Looks like a fun activity.
Tnx, they are taken by my neighbor who has dogs herself, and is my training partner, always helps to have a photographer who understands the motive :D
Siw-Malin Bye

Post by Siw-Malin Bye »

JudyN wrote:I love to see a dog absorbed in his work, and those photos really show it in Raymond... OK, it's not so great watching Jasper take off after a deer knowing that he's bound to come back with a few war wounds and be stiff and creaky the next day, but it's that utter absorption - it's like a whole new portion of his brain has been activated (which may well actually be the case). Can we have some of your magic flying reindeer over here, please :lol:

Second to last pic in your first post is gorgeous :D

:lol: Know what you mean! Sometimes I (and bet you to ;) ) feel like this guy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GRSbr0EYYU :lol:

I can send some magic flying rain deer over, but some of them are a bit out of balance, because I have their hooves/feet in the freezer :D
Siw-Malin Bye

Post by Siw-Malin Bye »

Aah the elusive Norwegian Flying Deer, I've not heard of those before :lol:

Barrel search is basically the big brother of the cup game ;) we use anything from 4 to around 20 barrels (too big for the dog to knock over easily) and hide an article under one of them, then send the dog to find it. Because the dog can't get the article it has to indicate, with P I am working on sit&bark by the correct barrel. I do a version of this out on walks as well, in the absence of barrels I will just hide his toy somewhere he can't actually grab it (other side of a fence, underneath something, high up etc), the goal being him telling me when he finds it as opposed to picking it up and *crunch-crack-gulp-oops.. :lol:

I would really like to try more tracking with him tho, thanks for the detailed explanation :)[/quote]

Tnx for the explanation, I thought it was something like that=)

Yes, the crunch, crack, gulp quickly happens if the dogs a bit eager;P I used to train search'n'rescue with him, then we had four types of altering the handler to choose from, on small objects, lye down with chin on the object, or retrieve it. And with big objects, bark or that the dog put a piece of the collar in his mouth.
I chose the latter for both type of objects, time to switch to lay down on small objects now thats it just for fun:)