Big canine, but not a dog.

Upload pictures of your dogs here!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Swanny1790

Big canine, but not a dog.

Post by Swanny1790 »

While on patrol today I ran across this fellow. He was kind enough to allow some photos before disappearing into the tundra.

I wear a size-8 (U.S. standard) work boot and weigh 180#. Since his print is deeper than mine, I'm guessing he probably weighed about the same or perhaps a few pounds more.

"Once infected with the mushing virus, there is no cure. There is only trail." - Sven Engholm
gwd

Re: Big canine, but not a dog.

Post by gwd »

Swanny1790 wrote:Image
he certainly has a lovely single track!
bendog

Post by bendog »

Wow beautiful!!!

I'm insanely jealous now!
WufWuf

Post by WufWuf »

How awesome was that Swanny? Have you seen a wild wolf like that before or was this your first encounter?
Operant conditioning rocks but classical conditioning rules
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

gwd wrote:he certainly has a lovely single track!
Trust gwd to be eyeing up the conformation! I'd like to see you parading him in the show ring, gwd :lol:
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
Suzette

Post by Suzette »

What a magnificent, awesome animal! Your pictures evoke so much emotion in me. These are so barren and desolate looking, but with a beauty all their own. And then in the midst of it, a lone animal that seems as intrigued by you as you are of him. Beautiful.
My avatar is Piper, my sweet Pembroke Corgi. b. 5/11/11
Swanny1790

Post by Swanny1790 »

WufWuf wrote:How awesome was that Swanny? Have you seen a wild wolf like that before or was this your first encounter?
In the past 20 years up here, I've only seen 2 other wolves, though LOTS of sign (tracks, feeding sites and so forth). I've had wolves stalk my dog yard until the stalk was interrupted by Seamus (the Anatolian Shepherd Dog mix). The others I've seen took off like rockets the moment they detected my presence. This guy was really nonchalant about the whole thing, allowing me to get some decent photos. I actually expected him to run for cover the moment I pulled the truck to the side of the road.

The profile view was really fun. He was just trotting along and I did a vocal call, squeaking like a mouse, to get his attention. It tweaked his curiosity enough to stop, turn and look back.

An eighteen wheeler, en route south toward (eventually) Fairbanks saw me parked there and also stopped to check it out. The driver was a much in awe as I.

I was really lucky to see him at a spot where I could safely pull off the road. It's kind of a bad spot there. The pipe crosses the road (tracks showed the wolf had used the underpass to get to that spot) and visibility is very limited. If I hadn't already known about the pull off on the far side of that overpass I wouldn't have been able to stop without the risk of getting creamed by the next semi.
"Once infected with the mushing virus, there is no cure. There is only trail." - Sven Engholm
jacksdad

Post by jacksdad »

bendog wrote:Wow beautiful!!!

I'm insanely jealous now!
goes for me too.

Thanks for sharing.
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

What an amazing sight.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog