Fat Boy Ari going on a diet... :-(

Upload pictures of your dogs here!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Ari_RR

Fat Boy Ari going on a diet... :-(

Post by Ari_RR »

The scale shows that he gained a few pounds over the last several months.... And he really does look a bit too porky to my taste, so on a diet Ari goes... This will be a struggle for Bubble Boy, but he was 105.2 lbs at the vet this morning, and that's after a long walk in the park before breakfast. :shock:

JudyN

Re: Fat Boy Ari going on a diet... :-(

Post by JudyN »

Ah, poor Ari :( That's what I weighed until middle age hit :lol:

Will you be upping his exercise too? He's a bit lazy, if I recall correctly. I'm wondering if he wants a bit more tone rather than a bit less weight (though I might be talking rubbish, I'm no expert :wink: ).
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
Ari_RR

Post by Ari_RR »

I should really do both - lower his food intake and up the exercise... Which I guess would mean me running more, and that will be a tough pill to swallow too... :lol:
gwd

Post by gwd »

since ari is now officially a full grown boy, he's old enough to do road work if you're wanting to provide him extra exercise ........perhaps you could pull out the bike and get him some sustained running.
Ari_RR

Post by Ari_RR »

No, no bike, unfortunately, his recall isn't nearly good enough for that... Coupled with tendency to wonder off on his own when he sees or hears or smells something of interest (which is all the time)
So it ought to be real running on the trails in the nature park with him on a long leash... one of my least enjoyable forms of exercise :twisted:
jacksdad

Post by jacksdad »

but, but winter is coming one and one needs a little extra in the cold weather :wink:

*ppsst ari, I am trying buddy* :lol:
gwd

Post by gwd »

jacksdad wrote:winter is coming
so yer a stark are ya?
Ari_RR

Post by Ari_RR »

:lol:
4th day of restricted intake...
Today because of light drizzle all outdoor activities were cancelled of course, but we put in at least an hour of jogging (including uphill :shock: ) for straight 3 days.
I am tired.
Bubble Boy walks around with sad face, offering sits and all kinds of good behavior, hoping for an edible reward...

My dearest mother, who keeps Ari company in the afternoons... Her Anti-NILIF theory that poor dogs suffer enough just having to live in human society and therefore should be getting everything free and in unlimited quantities - that theory is now backed by her personal experience of spending an afternoon with a hungry canine. She can't see through his award-winning act, and accused me of animal abuse!

This "diet" thing is not for the weak, he better loose extra weight fast, I don't know how much longer I can keep this up!
Suzette

Post by Suzette »

He's just plain handsome whether he carries a few extra pounds or not! :D But you know, to me, he looks pretty great as is. I know lots of folks like them model thin, (which I know is better than most dogs which are definitely overweight), but I think he looks pretty good! :D :D
My avatar is Piper, my sweet Pembroke Corgi. b. 5/11/11
gwd

Post by gwd »

Ari_RR wrote:No, no bike, unfortunately, his recall isn't nearly good enough for that... Coupled with tendency to wonder off on his own when he sees or hears or smells something of interest (which is all the time)
So it ought to be real running on the trails in the nature park with him on a long leash... one of my least enjoyable forms of exercise :twisted:
ah, but he doesn't need a recall for roadwork! you have a leash on him and the dogs learn to run along side of the bike. show folk often do roadwork on a dog and we bike at the speed that we'd gait them in the ring. they also make attachments to the bike that have springs on them for folks that are worried about being pulled over.........but all of the dogs I've ever done quickly figure out about staying on the left side and trotting along side the bike..........they most all have loved it because they get to go along at a nice clip and it's fun!
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

gwd wrote: you have a leash on him and the dogs learn to run along side of the bike.
But if a rabbit should pop out unexpectedly and Ari notices it...... :shock:

Have you reduced his diet to what he should be having long term, or to less than that to get the weight off? If the latter, I'd be tempted to give him what he should have long term (which might not be that much less than now), up the exercise, and monitor his weight for a while. He's not nearly so large that you need to shift it quickly.

Bear in mind, though, that muscle weighs more than fat, so maybe take measurements, and some clear photos of his shape and rib/pin bone visibility.
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
Ari_RR

Post by Ari_RR »

Day 7. We stopped by the vet this morning after the walk, got on the same scale - 103 lbs. Not that I really watch the numbers, but just to make sure that the scale confirms what I observe - that the boy looks leaner. I guess it doesn't really take long for young dogs to get in better shape :lol:

Still not sure what drives it - reduction in food or increase in the exercise, because come to think of it neither one was really drastic... perhaps in combination they produce the desired outcome.

So, upon getting home, Ari got a full size breakfast with desert and how happily napping on his couch.

He didn't even shake too badly at the vet, and didn't try to hide under the bench.... Perhaps sensed that it's just a quick stop and not a real visit??? :?
Last edited by Ari_RR on Sun Nov 17, 2013 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Good result - well done! :D

FWIW, leading off a bicycle is illegal on the road in UK. Okay offroad and on private land (but if course offroad or on your own land you wouldn't need to have a lead on the dog, would you?)
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
jacksdad

Post by jacksdad »

Dear Ari....

I was so shook up by the horrible abuse you have been suffering I dipped into my chicken wing fund and bought you a first class plane ticket to come live with me. winters are mild here, lots of sunny days, beaches, woods, places to explore and no diets. Oh, and you can even sleep on the bed here...and the couch....or pretty much where every you want. did I mention, no diets?

so next time you see the postal worker delivering mail, be sure to have your bags packed and resist the urge to chase him or her off as your ticket to a diet free life is on the way.

ooops got to go, my people are coming back into the room...

See you soon

Jack.
Sweetie's Human

Post by Sweetie's Human »

jacksdad wrote:Dear Ari....

I was so shook up by the horrible abuse you have been suffering I dipped into my chicken wing fund and bought you a first class plane ticket to come live with me. winters are mild here, lots of sunny days, beaches, woods, places to explore and no diets. Oh, and you can even sleep on the bed here...and the couch....or pretty much where every you want. did I mention, no diets?

so next time you see the postal worker delivering mail, be sure to have your bags packed and resist the urge to chase him or her off as your ticket to a diet free life is on the way.

ooops got to go, my people are coming back into the room...

See you soon

Jack.

Dear Jack,

Sounds good. Room for one more? I'm on my way!

Xx

Sweetie