Selene

Upload pictures of your dogs here!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Swanny1790

Selene

Post by Swanny1790 »

Selene is the Li'l Darling of the Stardancer Historical Sled Dogs team. Underneath all that plush fur is a relatively diminutive 45 pound dog. She is a real sweetheart with both humans and other dogs.

Yes, she really is "bi-eyed", with the right eye blue and the left amber.

"Once infected with the mushing virus, there is no cure. There is only trail." - Sven Engholm
Suzette

Re: Selene

Post by Suzette »

Oh, she is lovely!! what a sweet face! :D
I love the two eye colors! Our husky (when I was growing up) and my sisters husky had two different colored eyes also, though they were brown and blue. :D
My avatar is Piper, my sweet Pembroke Corgi. b. 5/11/11
BooBoo

Post by BooBoo »

She's GORGEOUS Swanny! Would make a lovely lady-friend for my Bear :D

See viewtopic.php?f=31&t=16911
gwd

Post by gwd »

Swanny1790 wrote:Selene is the Li'l Darling of the Stardancer Historical Sled Dogs team. Underneath all that plush fur is a relatively diminutive 45 pound dog. She is a real sweetheart with both humans and other dogs.
her balance and structure makes her photograph as a larger dog........she isn't nearly as up on leg as some of the other dogs you've shown us.

what a lovely looking girl........what 'position does she play' on your team'? .....heh, can you tell it's baseball season?
Swanny1790

Post by Swanny1790 »

Selene runs in the team position, sometimes in swing.

For those who don't yet know, the dogs in front are referred to as lead dogs. Directly behind the leaders are the "swing" dogs (called "point" by mushers in New England). The pair of dogs closest to the sled are referred to as wheel dogs, and the dogs in between swing and point are all referred to as "team" dogs.

Selene was the result of an "oops" breeding between a working sled dog b*tch and a neighbors alleged half Great Pyrenees pet dog. I'm not convinced of "Pyrenees" part, as Selene is so small. She was raised as a house pet but when she was 2 years old her previous owner was confronted with the "Me or the dogs" ultimatum. Being the soft hearted guy I am (sometimes to my own chagrin), I agreed to give Selene a trial with the mushing team. She really LOVES running and working with her team mates, so I decided I'd give her a permanent home.

Selene has a really easy-going temperament that tends to be infectious. When I have an overly enthusiastic, hard to handle dog I can put Selene next to that dog and she helps the other to be calm and collected until I give them the cue to go. I currently have two rather rowdy young pups in the kennel, and I have Selene housed near both of them to "show" them how to behave more calmly while the humans are doing our kennel chores each day.

If you think about how excited your dogs get at feeding time, you can almost imagine the chaos of a kennel full of working dogs at feeding time.

S.
"Once infected with the mushing virus, there is no cure. There is only trail." - Sven Engholm
gwd

Post by gwd »

Swanny1790 wrote: She was raised as a house pet but when she was 2 years old her previous owner was confronted with the "Me or the dogs" ultimatum.
Selene has a really easy-going temperament that tends to be infectious.
did she calm down because she finally had a job or was the previous owner just over critical and the 'its me or the dog' not really an issue?
Swanny1790

Post by Swanny1790 »

The issue was between the owner and her OH. I don't really know all the details.