Our chihuahua mix, Sandy at 3 yrs old

Upload pictures of your dogs here!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

DianeLDL

Our chihuahua mix, Sandy at 3 yrs old

Post by DianeLDL »

I'm trying this again. To post the photo of our chihuahua mix, neutered male, Sandy, at age 3 years old.

We adopted him from the shelter when he was age 1 year. June 20th, he will be 3 & half. I don't know how to make it an avatar nor how do I get it without all the URL working?

Image]
Last edited by DianeLDL on Sat Jun 01, 2013 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sandy, Chihuahua mix b. 12/20/09
DianeLDL

Re: Our chihuahua mix, Sandy at 3 yrs old

Post by DianeLDL »

It looks like I got all the wording out, but how do I turn it into an avatar?

Thanks, :D
Diane & Sandy
Last edited by DianeLDL on Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DianeLDL

Re: Sandy after being with us 2 years

Post by DianeLDL »

My husband who spent 25 years in the US Marine Corps (where he was a dog handler for his last assignment) loves this photo. I had to put the fleece on the chair to cover a hole that Sandy created with his digging into the back. It was my recliner that he decided would be his bed, etc. :?

DianeLDL

Sandy, our Deer Chihuahua almost 3 yrs. old-Fall 2012

Post by DianeLDL »

Hi all,

Here is another photo of Sandy that shows he does fit the deer chihuahua breed. Note that he not only has the deer chihuahua head, but also the long legs and the curled tail.

He is enjoying playing in the leaves at our home in central Maine. :D

Diane

DianeLDL

Sandy, our deer chihuahua with collar I sewed for him

Post by DianeLDL »

Here Sandy our deer chihuahua who is 3 1/2 years old is modeling the dog collar I sewed for him our of cotton fabric. Finally, he has a collar that actually fits. Having a 10" neck, all the collars were too thin which allowed him to slip out of it easily. This one, I made at 3/4" and made it adjustable as well as the correct size for him. Here (sorry to those not in the USA) I used 4th of July patriotic fabric. Being a male, I didn't want anything too cutsy.

baska

Post by baska »

A real patriot!!:D
That's a really nice collar!! I have to admit, you are skilled!!:)
DianeLDL

Post by DianeLDL »

Baska,

Thank you! :D I am also a quilter and fiber artist.

I am a member of an Internet quilting group and got the idea from one of my friends who has a small dog, Bailey who appears to be a Bishon Frise. Cheryl had made collars for Bailey for different times of year including Halloween, spring, Chanukah, etc. but, her dog can wear 1/2 inch (1.27 cm) width collars.

Sandy, with his long neck and long snout (which is what makes him a deer chihuahua seems to slip through his skinny collars. And having a neck if only 10 inches (25.4 cm) so all the ones in the stores are Th's skinny ones. And the next larger width is not made for his smaller neck. So, I decided to make it 3/4 inches (~1.9 cm).

Being a chihuahua and one who also pulls, they can easily hurt their tracheae so we use a harness when we go out although he hates it and growls under his breath and lifts his leg as I out it on which I have learned via my reading are signs that he is uncomfortable. But, he has slipped out of his old collar twice. Once was at a motel where we were walking and suddenly a man with his poodle surprised both of us. Next thing I knew, I was holding a leash with a collar on it and Sandy was actually running around and attacking the poodle who was off leash. The owner tried to help me get Sandy as he wasn't responding to me, so I realized that if he would leash his poodle and take her out of Sandy's sight, I would be able to get Sandy. I was right. And caught him and found poodle hair in his mouth. Good thing for the poodle that she had long hair so that was as far as Sqndy got. Also, this all took place in a parking lot, so I was grateful no cars were coming. :lol:

The second incident happened with my husband. He had felt that Sandy didn't need a harness. But, he was taking Sandy for a ride while I had an appointment. It was 105 degrees F (nearly 38 degrees C) so to keep Sandy cool with the air conditioner, they went for a ride. So, they stopped at a truck stop so Sandy could do his business. Suddenly, he had slipped out of his collar (husband always thought I kept it too tight so would loosen it). Thank God he had chicken in his pouch and the clicker as we had begun clicker training. My husband also has a command voice having retired from law enforcement and also was a dog handler in the US Marines, so he used it and got Sandy's attention, then clicked and Sandy came to him. Thank God that no trucks were driving by which like Latek with planes, scares Sandy so he could have freaked out and run.

After that, my husband agreed to use the harness. But around the house and short walks we needed a better collar. So, with hardware and items from a fabric store and with directions from the Internet eHow and my friend Cheryl, I made the collar. It was a test and now I know that I need a better adjusting piece which I will take from a store bought collar. Also, I need a stiffer interfacing as this one tends to stretch and constantly needs to be adjusted. At least, he hasn't slipped out of it, but I have to be aware when it is getting too big. Also, I need to sew down the D ring better as it tends to twist around. But, it was a test. I have more of the same fabric as well as other fabrics for other times of year.

I have plans on making a couple more collars including one from camouflage fabric. He is a male dog and needs something more manly than the cutsy ones Cheryl made for Bailey. :lol: I will post photos when I make others.

I've been thinking of you and wondering how things are going especially after you run in with the attacking dog. :) In the meantime, I would love to hear how Latek and you are doing. By the way, what town or city are you in in Poland. I was lookin on google earth checking out Warsaw. Several people I know went to Warsaw this year for memorial of the Jewish Warsaw Ghetto uprising during WWII. I could see the memorial on the Internet. Wow, how the Internet has changed and made the world so much smaller:) :D

Diane
Currently in our house near Bangor, Maine (where the author Stephen King lives) where it rained all day yesterday and hopefully we will get outside today. :D