My Jindos

Upload pictures of your dogs here!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Jindo

Re: My Jindos

Post by Jindo »

jacksdad wrote:boy, Sonata could be Jack's half sister. their coloring is so close and a couple of these pictures are pretty what he does too.

Hahaha, Sonata, Ted, and Jack could be triplets then!
Jindo

Post by Jindo »

Haven't posted in a long time.
As I learned, the internet cannot be really trusted and you can research breeds only so much. Guess that's what you come to understand when you actually raise a dog.
It's always said Jindos cannot be trusted off leash, they're escape artists, etc.
With a leap of faith I let Sonata off leash and she'd run ahead of me but never leave me, she'll always stay in my sight and return to me when she realized she's had enough running around and is responsible to stay away from people she don't know. When someone leaves the front door or backyard gate open, she'll run out but when I call to her she'll happily come prancing back. I've learned that I can't treat Sonata as just a dog, I've realized that it's easier to understand her when I think of her as a little human.
Loyalty isn't something you should expect from a dog, but rather something you earn. Just like people.
jacksdad

Post by jacksdad »

I have really come to like this breed. when Jack passes on I really hope I can find one to adopt. Like you I have found a lot of most likely non actuate info on the web regarding Jindos. And since I don't read Korean, I unfortunately can't find out what the Korean sites are saying and compare to the English sites.

After about 2 years of being around Luna (jacks Jindo buddy) and all that I have learned about dogs (of course the more I learn the more I realize I need to learn) I strongly suspect the growing popular "knowledge" is based on misinformation, not understanding the breed, not understanding dog behavior, and looking for a quick easy fixes and not good fits in terms of who is keeping the Jindo as a "pet". I also suspect there is a bit of an "ego" component too. "look at me, I have a dog that can't be "trusted" but I am special and can control it".

From what i have learned, they are one of the older breeds, they do have a bit of an independent thinking streak, which makes sense because one of the other things I have learned is they were used in place of a rifle or bow/arrow to hunt. the dog was sent out to actually track down and kill the game rather than just find it for the hunter and or retrieve it after the hunter killed it. so they have a bit of a "terrier" quality to them, in that they need to be able to function without constant direction. And if Luna is in any way representative of the breed, just like Nettles warns, once that "joy of hunting" has been discovered/turned on...it's a very strong "drive" for them. And Luna has had that switch flipped. most likely before she came to live with her current family.

I strongly suspect the reality is...they are a dog that needs to be treated similar to a "working" dog. Lots of exercise, lots of mental stimulation, particularly stuff that lets them act on their hunting instincts and urges even if they are truly hunting. And they just need training and a good safe bond with their people. Like any dog, you need to build a recall, but unlike some breeds that do have a more "natural" stick to us tendency, you probably do have to work a bit harder on building the recall, much like with some breeds. terriers come to mind. And I suspect that off leash time has to have some thought to it. is the area safe and make sense. what are the distractions etc. but you do that with any dog. I based this on two years of being around Luna.
Jindo

Post by Jindo »

I agree with a lot of the things you say. Here's some stuff I've learned
Some more information about jindos is that in Korea there is no leash law, so a lot of jindos are just let loose, despite being off leash many of them always stay near their home because they know that is where they belong. So I don't know where this whole 'can never be let off leash' rumor started, but it's ridiculous.

Jindos are also extremely intelligent in the independent thinking way but they hate training. Korean people know jindos are not easy to train (tricks wise) and so when you see when that does a lot of tricks, it's really impressive. Majority of the time they'll do it to please you or perhaps for food, but after awhile it's just not interesting to them. They will learn basic commands like sit, stay, and down but things like 'sit pretty' or 'roll over' will just bore them to death. They simply just don't care for it at all.
Training wise with chewing and digging (which are a big problem with jindos), I noticed from Sonata she just outgrew it. She still does dig once in awhile but it's not as bad as she was when she was younger and she's probably chewed up over 12 pairs of shoes but she doesn't do those things anymore.

Jindos have always there, they are dogs that just came to existence, nobody bred dogs over and over again in Korea to create them. Sadly this results to a lot of arguments about what makes up a jindo purebred in Korea, nobody actual has an answer and foreign countries seem to make it up as they go.
Their prey drive and such are always there and their focus is really really intense but I don't really see it as a big problem to be perfectly honest. Sometimes though my dogs do make a mistake of thinking small dogs from a distance are rabbits or squirrels. ._.
I have found a dead skunk in my yard, half dead possum, dead mouse, dead lizards, and I'm just glad that my dogs don't try to eat them. They keep my house pretty clean actually.

Another thing I noticed with my dogs is that they change when they are out for walks or at the park. Their focus on their environment is more intense and they have to stop and sniff everything thoroughly, they'll be staring at things from a distance, not even food will distract them. I've held dog treats to Sonata at the park who would just pick it up and spit it on the ground when she'd never do that at home.

Jindos I noticed, might be just my dog, have the power to ignore other dogs and people like they aren't even there. And they are kind of picky on who they're interested in.
A dog would be going insane barking at Gong-ju and she won't even glance at it.
Sonata is another case, she might be curious about the dog or she might start barking back. Sonata reactions to other dog really depends on the other dog.
With people, sometimes Gong-ju will walk by a person without looking at them or sometimes she'll give them a curious sniff.
Sonata will sniff at a person but never really demand attention. None of my dogs do that actually, for strangers that is.
It's really easy to pull them away from a person because they simply don't care enough. It's actually not too difficult to pull them (just Sonata actually) when they're worked up about a barking dog too, she'll huff a bit and move on.

I've also heard people say that Jindos are bad with children. Wrong. Just like any other breed, long as they are socialized they'll do fine.

Also,to be honest my dogs don't have a lot of recall training, but it's never been a problem for me because they just know how to avoid trouble.

One thing I do agree on about online information about Jindos is that they would not be the right dog for a first time dog owner. Mainly 'cause the dog owner will expect so many things of their first dog because of their research and etc but none of that will work on a Jindo. They're just too wired to think for themselves. Jindos will be like, 'look, I really like you and stuff but I'm going to roll my way 'cause you're cramping my style.' They're free thinkers and I think that's really what I love about this breed.

Sorry for jumping around everywhere! I just didn't know where to start, where to end, and what to put where. xD

Oh and one thing I also noticed about my dog, not saying all Jindos, is that if she hates someone.... She'll always hate that person.
She hates my neighbor a lot and last week he tossed a slab of meat over our fence for her to eat (he's feeding her without our permission so we're going to have to talk to him about that) and she nibbled at the corner of it and then stopped eating it completely. I found it really interesting 'cause I know a lot of dogs would've just gobbled it up. Either something was wrong with the meat or Sonata's hatred is never ending.

jacksdad

Post by jacksdad »

I have seen a lot of what you describe in Luna.

I do question that they "hate" training. smart dogs will lose interest in simple pointless training. example, sit. I can almost see Luna saying "ok, I get it, stop asking me to sit for no reason". But she does seem to like to learn and work with people she trusts.
Jindo

Post by Jindo »

Of course if they love their owner they will work with them. They might work strictly just to make their owners happy.
I feel like Jindos are like this, 'I love you and want to make you happy but I still have to think for myself."