Victoria here - I need your help!

Periodic announcements regarding Victoria, her schedule, and general information.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

josie1918

pet selection

Post by josie1918 »

I don't know if this would be a gigantic problem, or is feasable or not.
I have seen lots of posts from people just getting their first puppy. Would a breed selector section help? So many "bad" breeders talk the unknowing public into buying dogs that are simply NOT the best choice for the persons life style or living conditions. While all dogs can be trained, I am wondering if something like this would help the prospective owners, and perhaps save a few beds at the shelter?
Beetlejuice

Post by Beetlejuice »

Noobs wrote:I think avatars are a great idea - that there can be standard avatars but also user-uploaded ones if you want to use a picture of your dog!
Yes, avatars ! i agree with you :D
emmabeth wrote: I would like (off the top of my head)... the ability to merge threads as well as split them, so when someone starts a topic and then starts another thread elsewhere on the same topic and useful responses are posted on both, I can stick the two together. :D
This is possible for almost all forum ( moderators and admin only of course ) so i think it's possible here and it's a good tool for management :D
DogzRule1996 wrote:Although this may take a while longer, I thought that maybe a chat would be nice for the people who are on so you can get your answers quicker if the people you want are on at the same time instead of posting and having to check back later on in the day to get their replies.
+1
A chatbox coulb be nice :D I don't think for quick aswer, the forum is better for that, and i think more quickly cause for the chatbox on the connected people can aswer . But it's a good idea for the forum conviviality, it's nice to better know the people with who we talk ..

For my part, i suggest a theme more fun, wallpaper, new smiley, new button, etc ..
This theme could change each season, snow for winter by exemple ..
I'm informatician an not too bad for create this kind of thing, if you need help .. no problem 8)
I do my best for write in a good english, sorry if it's hard to read lol ! :d
Beetlejuice

Post by Beetlejuice »

Here an exemple of that i use on my moto forum for winter
( French )

Login
ImageImageImage

Main menu
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

The buttons ...

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
wvvdiup1

Post by wvvdiup1 »

Sounds like some great ideas out there! But, come on, use your imagination! :D
emmabeth

Re: pet selection

Post by emmabeth »

josie1918 wrote:I don't know if this would be a gigantic problem, or is feasable or not.
I have seen lots of posts from people just getting their first puppy. Would a breed selector section help? So many "bad" breeders talk the unknowing public into buying dogs that are simply NOT the best choice for the persons life style or living conditions. While all dogs can be trained, I am wondering if something like this would help the prospective owners, and perhaps save a few beds at the shelter?
I see how this would be helpful..

But, in my experience, most breed selector programs I have come across, make some outrageously off the mark suggestions for breeds I ought to own, and I know others have said the same thing.

That said.. i do wonder who it is makes these gizmo's.. and would one made by a more doggy person be useful? Because people do like to 'play' with such things.

However an article or post about how to pick a breeder, or shelter/rescue, and how to choose the breed or breed mix is totally do-able, and references to good books and other off site articles should be possible too.

One of the issues though is that people tend to come looking for help once they have an actual problem - not when they are all excited about getting a puppy. Though this is no reason to attempt to offer the advice in the hope it catches some before they make an awful error!
Fundog

Post by Fundog »

Since there are so many brilliant suggestions for actual articles/how-tos that would need to stay up always, it might be a good idea to create a special section for that, entitled "Articles." These would be locked, so they are not actual discussions (thus keeping it tidy and reducing confusion). This would be a good place for experts like Victoria herself, and/or a "guest author" to post a lengthy article or newsletter about a "Topic of the Month," or some such. Other examples that come to mind are the simple posts by someone writing about how important it is to make sure you are really ready for a dog in your life, or the person who wrote about how making the decision to re-home a dog is the right choice. We would need to submit such articles to the moderator for approval, I would think, to help prevent trolling by outside agencies, but there have been some good things said that should have been stuck in a more prominent place.
Beetlejuice

Post by Beetlejuice »

An other thing, it could me nice to can use some "code" in our post, like <embed> for video or pps insertion, or dispay a sentance instead of the direct link like this :

Clic here

With this code, when we click on "Clic here" we go to "http://www.linkedwebsite.com"

It isn't very easy to explain what i mean, but in some world : More option for personalize our post ..
:D
mselisabs

Post by mselisabs »

I think we'd all love to be able to use avatars! I'm sure there are plenty of ppl here who are visual like myself, it would help me keep track of who's posting.. and of course a great way to show off the pups :)

I like the amount of forums we have - I think the only one I'd like to see added is "Grooming." I do my own and some grooming on the side and I'd love have a forum to discuss it. Definitely don't think we need to break it down into subforums though... that can get confusing. I think everyone here almost always stays "on topic" pertinent to the forum they're in and I don't feel like there are any non-animal subjects being discussed on this board. I love it!

As far as a little more advanced editing would be great. Not sure if you're powering the forum with phpBB but they have a ton of options.

Also, one last thing! Give emmabeth the ability to ad emoticons so we can suggest ones we like and have a more diverse selection :-D
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

Well..... i wanna special hat.... if we are getting to the fine details..

One with a propeller on the top probably, or sparkles.. :lol:

I think the 'Dog Trainer Database' doesnt really get used for what it was intended for.... just people accidentally post wanting advice in there... and then I move them to the Methods forum.

So maybe lose that, and instead have a 'health/grooming/diet' area, as these get less traffic, but still need addressing, even if for health we cant do much beyond advising seeing a vet and asking about/advising further research into a particular treatment or problem.

More emotes is good though - though not the huge giant ones that take up half the screen... little neat ones :)
mselisabs

Post by mselisabs »

emmabeth wrote:So maybe lose that, and instead have a 'health/grooming/diet' area, as these get less traffic, but still need addressing, even if for health we cant do much beyond advising seeing a vet and asking about/advising further research into a particular treatment or problem.

More emotes is good though - though not the huge giant ones that take up half the screen... little neat ones :)
Ooh, I love the idea making the 'diet' forum more of a "health, grooming, & diet." It's true people post health issues in the method's forum, which I suppose doesn't make much sense.

With emoticons I'm with you too ~ nice. And neat.

ALSO, Victoria, I love the general purple-ness of your website. Please keep. (:
RobbnAtlanta

Post by RobbnAtlanta »

I believe Bettlejuice recommended it previously.

but a way to embed videos from youtube or what not instead of just the link and a way to share links from the board with other social sites.
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

Oooh someones bumped up Sadies thread which reminded me - what about a 'Sadies Diary' or blog.. a view of life as Victorias dog? She could comment from a dogs point of view on doggy issues and news items etc as well.
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

I have loads of emicons.

Image could be Emmabeth. :lol:

Image Image Image Image Image Image

Just a sample, I also have some that are a little rude. :oops:
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]
DogzRule1996

Post by DogzRule1996 »

I like emmabeth's idea of Sadie's Diary
(¯`'•.¸(¸.•'´ ¯)
♫♪(¯` ¸(¯`'•.¸**¸.•'´¯)¸.• ¯)♫♪
(¯`'•. --=-_Stop Animal Cruelty Now!_-=-- `'• .¸_)
(_¸-_(_¸.•'´*♫♪♫♪*`'•.¸_)`'• .¸_)
(._¸.•'´`'• .Â.=-¸_)
clickerbabe

Post by clickerbabe »

I also plan to create a regular section of this forum dedicated to timely discussions of new episodes and a Q&A section.
Would love to see this happening!! :D
Above all things, be kind.