Lhasa Apso

Breed specific discussion of your favorite breed.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

daisy8

Lhasa Apso

Post by daisy8 »

Anyone have a lhasa apso?? i recently got puppy she is 8 weeks now, could do with some advice!!!!
Fundog

Re: Lhasa Apso

Post by Fundog »

My aunt had one when I was a child. She was an awesome dog, as she followed my cousins everywhere. My aunt often said if she couldn't find the children, she would just call the dog, and the dog would bring the children with her. Once, when I was babysitting my cousins, I "lost" the two year old. The dog heard me looking/calling for her, and got me to follow her. The dog led me straight to where my cousin was safely playing on the floor, inside the house. :lol:

One day, when the family went inside the store, they left the dog in the van-- the dog went EVERYWHERE with them. When they came out of the store, someone had stolen the dog! So take precautions about that, as Lhasas are a rather unusual breed.

My relatives actually named the dog "poopy" because they had some difficulty house training her, at first. She eventually did learn to be clean indoors, though. There are lots of great articles and how-tos on house training your puppy in this forum. 8)

And last, but certainly not least: Lhasas require a thorough brushing and combing out, every single day. I do remember "poopy" was heavily matted and tangled because she never got brushed. Incidentally, Poopy's registered name was "Lovingston Valentine," and she had been a gift to my aunt. It would have fit her aptly had she been groomed regularly.

So that's all I know about Lhasa Apsos. They are charming little dogs, and highly sought after. :D
If an opportunity comes to you in life, say yes first, even if you don't know how to do it.