Something else hidden in there?

Breed specific discussion of your favorite breed.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

MPbandmom

Something else hidden in there?

Post by MPbandmom »

Sky was turned into the shelter by breeders who stated she was a husky lab mix. However, occasionally questions come up from others based on some physical or attitudinal characteristics she has as to some other breed being in the mix.

The first and most commented on/noticable characteristic is that she has a freckled nose. I'm not sure which breeds tend to have freckled noses, but several have been mentioned by various indiviudals who have pointed this out.

This weekend I took her to a fundraising event for a local dog park, and as is typical of her, she got along great with most of the dogs. Most but not all. She got into a staredown with one of the dogs which I quickly took action to disrupt, moving her further away and trying to block her view. However this was not before someone else had observed her stance and asked if she was part border collie due to her posturing and staring. Something like this look that she gave my husband one day when he was taking pictures of her playing in the snow.

I have long wondered how pure bred Sky's parents were, or if maybe some of the breeds originally mixed to make Huskys and Labs, may have contributed genetics that have resulted in her slightly non husky or lab traits.

While border collies are well known for the stare down, is it also a behavior that can be normal for other dogs in certain situations?

Opinions? Speculations?
Grammy to Sky and Sirius, who came to live with me, stole my heart, and changed my life forever as I took over their care and learned how to be a dog owner.
Nettle

Re: Something else hidden in there?

Post by Nettle »

Most dogs will stare down, given the right circumstances, but in collies it is "default mode" and presents sooner rather than later. Walking round here, I see border colies sinking into the crouch-and-stare as soon as they see another dog, rather than just on those occasions when another dog "needs" staring at.

There is Border Collie way back in most husky types - hence the commonly-seen blue eyes and the sensitivity to Ivermectin.

Your dog looks a beauty - any more photos?
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
MPbandmom

Post by MPbandmom »

Thanks Nettle, that is interesting to know.

I think the dog that she stared down at the event may have been asking for it in some manner, because Sky wasn't the only dog to react poorly to this one dog. One of our friends from the dog walk group was also at the event, and her dog took issue to the same dog Sky had an issue with. Not sure if she was joining Sky in telling the other dog off or if she had issues with the dog on her own.

There are more pictures of Sky under the photos section titled Sky and Sirius. I posted them back in the Spring. I have a bunch of pictures of them on Facebook but not so many on photobucket. I'm still learning the photobucket thing.
Grammy to Sky and Sirius, who came to live with me, stole my heart, and changed my life forever as I took over their care and learned how to be a dog owner.
Julz

Post by Julz »

Judging from that one pic, I'd be surprised if Sky had any Husky in her at all.

Certainly has the colouring and tail of Labrador, but head is square looking .. bit like Staffy, and also her ribcage is quite deep...

I'll go see if i can find the other pictures of her.
MPbandmom

Post by MPbandmom »

Did you find the other pictures Julz? She does have a deep chest relative to her neck size. I usually end up getting size large for things to go around her middle, but then they are loose on her medium size neck.

If you did find the other pictures, you will have noticed that her tail has what I consider a graceful curve to it; arching over her back rather husky like. It does hang down and touch her back at times, but it doesn't have the fluffyness that a husky tail would have. Her fur is also pretty short and labish for the most part, except for on her back where it is fairly profuse over her shoulders.

I don't necessairly doubt that she did indeed have one parent who was a husky and one who was a lab, but the mix did come up with some features that seem to throw people off, which then makes me wonder how pure in each breed her parents were, Or whether such kinds of characteristics that make people think she has some other breed in her just happen naturally.

I really know nothing about dog genetics. I do know that she is a total sweetheart, with a great exuberance for life.
Julz

Post by Julz »

Hiya, i had a look for them, but couldnt find them, can you post the link? and i'll check back in a bit

Tara is the same for me... her mum (i didnt see her but exbf did he used to have her) was a GSD, dad could be anything from Ridgeback (right colour, bit lighter) collie (wrong colour, but learns and has charachteristics of collie and collie ears) and Common Garden Fox, again right colour..lol

who cares, she jumps like a horse :D
MPbandmom

Post by MPbandmom »

Here is the link to the other pictures of my dogs.

http://www.positively.com/forum/viewtop ... =31&t=7346
Julz

Post by Julz »

It's not just huskies that have that kind of tail... Akita's, Alaskan Mals, any kind of innuit dog does.. and have a look at a Utonagan website http://www.britishutonagan.com/ lovely dogs..they are a cross between Husky/Alaskan Mal and GSD which makes them different as they have a Recall. I know you can teach the other two recalls but how long do they keep them for since it's in their genetics to run......and run........and run..lol

al the same you're dogs are both lovely and such nice colours too
laceygraves1995

Post by laceygraves1995 »

i wouldn't say anything for sure unless you have a blood test done that checks there breed because i have had a dog part husky border collie before and she never did that, dogs do some strange things and you can never be sure of what breed they are because of there behavior , i mean i have a black lab and they are supposed to be very smart, well when i throw the ball for her to get, she runs into the walls! so i would definitly say that a dogs behavior cant be accurate of what breed it is