My Dog's Breed (Australian Cattle Dog?)

Breed specific discussion of your favorite breed.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

SammyACD

My Dog's Breed (Australian Cattle Dog?)

Post by SammyACD »

I was under the impression that she's an Australian Stumpy Tail Cattle Dog... but someone approached the other day and asked if she was a "Cattle Dog Mix." Does anyone know if she looks like she might be mixed? She's smaller than a regular Australian Cattle Dog and has a cropped tail. I looked it up and there is an Australian Stumpy Tail Cattle Dog breed that is smaller and has a naturally bobbed tail (fits Sammy's description). You can see pictures of her here - viewtopic.php?f=31&t=8824
Fundog

Re: My Dog's Breed (Australian Cattle Dog?)

Post by Fundog »

She looks like the genuine article to me. A lot of folks get "heelers," cattle dogs, collies, and Australian shepherds mixed up, and don't realize they are all actually separate breeds. Plus, it is unusual to rescue a full-breed dog, or at least know for sure a dog is full-bred from a rescue, without it coming with papers. This would explain why so many folks are more inclined to call her a "mix."
If an opportunity comes to you in life, say yes first, even if you don't know how to do it.
SammyACD

Re: My Dog's Breed (Australian Cattle Dog?)

Post by SammyACD »

Well that's the thing. She didn't come from a rescue. I adopted her from her previous family who didn't want to have to take her to a shelter unless they really had to. She came from all the way over in San Diego, CA and now she's living here with me in Hampton, VA (complete opposite side of the continent)! They only provided her vet records - no papers indicating her breed. The previous family said that when they bought her, they were told she was an Australian Shepherd, but they knew immediately that she was no Shepherd when she got a little bigger (they had her since she was a puppy). I can tell just by that statement they must have not gotten her from a good/responsible breeder - otherwise they should have known she wasn't a Shepherd!

I don't really care if she's mixed or not, she's a beautiful little dog. I just wanted to know what to tell people when they ask haha

Also, I know Australian Cattle Dogs, Australian Shepherds, and Collies are different dogs, but I thought "Heelers" were another name for Cattle Dogs, indicating their coat (blue/red)?