Does anyone else...

Breed specific discussion of your favorite breed.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Kerryh1986

Does anyone else...

Post by Kerryh1986 »

Hi,
does anyone else have/know someone who has a staff/springer spaniel?

I have a little girl, she's now 5 months old, most people assume she is a lab, but once u actually stop and look at her she has long spaniel eyes, a staff back half and a lovely black short staff coat.

I would love to know if anyone knows how big she'll get etc!
maximoo

Re: Does anyone else...

Post by maximoo »

A general rule of thumb is to take her weight at age 4 mo then dbl it. For Ex My boy Max was 22 lbs when he was 4 mths old & the vet told me he'll be a 45 lb dog. And guess what? It is so true! That is about what he weighs now & has weighed since age 1 (he's 2 1/2 now)

Is it an exact science, no but but again is a good general rule of thumb.
Fundog

Re: Does anyone else...

Post by Fundog »

Staffies as a general rule, aren't very tall-- muscular and stocky, but not all that tall. Springers are a fairly medium/compact size as well, weighing an average of 45 lbs, and never getting taller than 21" at the shoulder. I actually don't know off the top of my head what staffies usually weigh, but I would guess your girl probably should not exceed 50 lbs. at maturity.

I myself have a Springer mixed with another (larger) sporting/retriever breed--- we had thought maybe lab, but now I'm leaning toward Golden Retriever, because of the length and wave of her coat--- She is 21" tall at the shoulder, and looks best at 50 lbs.
If an opportunity comes to you in life, say yes first, even if you don't know how to do it.