Pomerianians

Breed specific discussion of your favorite breed.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Desiree

Pomerianians

Post by Desiree »

I recently rescued a 1-2 yr old male pom. I have never had a dog this tiny (he is 6 pounds). Is there anything specific I need to know about taking care of a tiny dog that would be different than a 25 pound dog? I know he needs a harness instead of a collar from all the research I did when my shih tzu got laryngial paralysis, but that is about it. I have heard that I need to watch him jumping since he could break something being so small. He jumps like a cat :D Do I need to keep him from jumping off of furniture or the bed? Also, I brush him daily, just a quick brush everywhere, and have trimmed the fur on his behind to make it easier for everyone. He was pretty matted when I got him so I did use a trimmer/shaver thing to clip a couple inches of fur off rather than hurt him trying to brush the mats out. Is it ok to clip his fur in the warmer months or will that mess up his coat? Does he need to be bathed more often than my short haired dogs or just when he seems to need it? Sorry I know this is a whole list of questions but I want to do it right. :D Is it nessacary to take him to a groomer or can I do everything that needs to be done on my own? I think thats all the questions I can think of for now. Thanks :D
Fundog

Re: Pomerianians

Post by Fundog »

You will find that long-coated dogs are much easier to be kept mat-free and looking beautiful if you take 15 minutes every day to brush and comb. Pay special attention to areas that are more likely to get matted, such as the feathering on the hind legs, and (on my bird dogs with feathered, floppy ears) under the ears. There are many different brushes to choose from, to make this task easier, and more enjoyable for your dog. For my own two dogs (I've got a Springer/Retriever and an English Setter, both with lots of feathering), my son uses a two-sided dog brush-- one side has the metal type of "bristles," and the other side has the soft nylon bristles-- then he also uses a variety of fine-toothed combs, originally intended for people hair. My son is just 14 years old, and has taken full responsibility for keeping the girls groomed for a number of years now. He spends ten to fifteen minutes every single day, thoroughly brushing and combing them, paying special attention to ears and leg feathers. It is an enjoyable bonding time for both the dogs and the boy, and he does a remarkable job keeping the girls looking gorgeous. In fact, this is one of his daily "chores" that he is not willing to trade off with his brother: He has proudly stated, "I don't trust their fur to anyone else." :lol:

So all that to say: Yes, this is something you can take care of yourself, and you don't really need to bother with a professional groomer. This is a great way for you and your dog to enjoy some special bonding time together, giving pleasure to each other. If he is too terribly matted at this time, you can go ahead and use clippers to cut him short and remove all the mats. His coat will grow back! Then you can comb him every single day, to see those mats stay gone. :D
If an opportunity comes to you in life, say yes first, even if you don't know how to do it.
Desiree

Post by Desiree »

Thanks! Thats the same kind of brush I use. I have been doing it daily and once I got the mats out it seems to be doing the trick! He doesn't seem to mind any of it except when I brush his back end. He doesn'l care for that much but he doesnt bite or anything. Just doesn't want to sit still for it, and I probably wouldn't either :D Also, it it ok to leave their harnesses on all the time if they don't mind it? I take it off when I brush him, but leave it on the rest of the time.
Fundog

Post by Fundog »

I don't really like leaving their harnesses on all the time. Not only could it get caught on something, but it can cause the coat to wear away (causing bald spots) where the harness rubs in places-- especially on soft-coated dogs, such as my English Setter.
If an opportunity comes to you in life, say yes first, even if you don't know how to do it.
Desiree

Post by Desiree »

That is something I hadn't thought about. The fur rubbing off. Thanks! :D
trabeabe

Post by trabeabe »

I also have a Pomeranian. Her name is Bella. She is 3 years old. She is the best dog I have ever had. She doesn't like to sit to be groomed, so it is quite a chore for us. It takes two of us to get it done. I have always kept her harness on her full time. I just always thought it'd be quicker to take her out to potty with the harness on. She does, however, now have a cow lick where her harness lays. I've thought about taking it off and just using it for walks, and using just a neck collar for potty, but either way she would probably end up with something on her. She loves to wear clothes. I put them on my chihuahua due to the cold temperatures. Bella goes crazy. She runs to the drawer and wants to wear something too. I love poms. I do also shave her right down in the summer months. She feels so much better. She is all black, so the sun is really attracted to her. I've never had to have her professionally groomed. She does get groomed at home even if it does take two of us. :)
Desiree

Post by Desiree »

Mine is all black too! There is a pic of him on the picture posts. I think its under Zippy and Jake. I Just am not sure how to keep such a little dog safe. He likes to jump up and down off things and I have heard they can break their legs pretty easily. I have a cat 3 times his size :lol:
Wicket

Post by Wicket »

trabeabe wrote:I also have a Pomeranian. Her name is Bella. She is 3 years old. She is the best dog I have ever had. She doesn't like to sit to be groomed, so it is quite a chore for us. It takes two of us to get it done. I have always kept her harness on her full time. I just always thought it'd be quicker to take her out to potty with the harness on. She does, however, now have a cow lick where her harness lays. I've thought about taking it off and just using it for walks, and using just a neck collar for potty, but either way she would probably end up with something on her. She loves to wear clothes. I put them on my chihuahua due to the cold temperatures. Bella goes crazy. She runs to the drawer and wants to wear something too. I love poms. I do also shave her right down in the summer months. She feels so much better. She is all black, so the sun is really attracted to her. I've never had to have her professionally groomed. She does get groomed at home even if it does take two of us. :)
While I don't have a Pomeranian, I do have a Chihuahua-Poodle mix (and doesn't like the cold either). She wears a buckle collar full time and only her walkeez harness for walks. Since we don't have a back yard, I take her outside on a long leash. I really love her new harness, only fleece lining touches her skin so I don't have to worry about the cheap nylon hurting and rubbing her skin.

I used to be a dog bather and I love the look of Pomeranians too! Just poof poof hair and a teddy bear face! If I wasn't slightly allergic to dander, I'd think about getting one much later in life. :)
Desiree

Post by Desiree »

Yeah its the little face that gets me. So tiny and cute! His fur is growing out now and he is gettin pretty fluffy. Just gave him a bath, which he was very unhappy about, and he looks like a drowned rat :lol: Which brings me to my next question and is kind of embarassing. How do you go about trimming the fur around his boy parts?? I have only had girl dogs with long hair, all the boy dogs have been short haird till now. I didn't think about how nasty the fur gets in that area until now, or how hard it is to see what you are doing so you don't cut something else :shock: I felt kind of pervy feeling around trying to see what was what :lol: I was imagining that vet phone call. He was looking violated :lol: Sorry I just had to tell on myself there.