Westie

Breed specific discussion of your favorite breed.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

clod81

Westie

Post by clod81 »

Hi there,
I have a Westie puppy, he's 5 months now.
I have him since 3 months.
We let him play often with another puppy westie and often he goes to some daycare and plays with every kind of dogs.
We don't know how he behavies at the daycare, but when he plays with the other westie he's quite rough.
The other one a bit as well, but our one often also growls while playing, whereas the other no.
Do you guys think is it normal?
Noobs

Re: Westie

Post by Noobs »

Sounds like it could be normal. Westies are hunting dogs (I think they're called "earth dogs" in some circles) so someone may be better to answer your question with the breed in mind specifically. But for what it's worth, lots of play looks rough and as long as no one breaks skin then it's probably okay. Of course it is the humans' responsibility to step in if it gets too rough or one or both pups gets too excitable.

Watch this video of a puppy playing with an adult dog. Looks vicious but the Rottie is very patient and only snaps when the pup goes too far.

http://cuteanimals.todaysbigthing.com/2009/10/22

A good idea would also be to find a well-behaved adult dog for your pup to play with as well.
clod81

Post by clod81 »

no, they never huty each other. so probably is all good. thx :wink:
Lysa

Post by Lysa »

I have a Westie who is 11 1/2 now. Ive had her since she was 8 weeks old. She used to play really rough as well and still even at this age has a tendancy to take "play" to the next level and end up in a fight. In fact, she has proven to be unpredictable around other dogs and only seems to get along w/ other dogs who let her be the boss. Ive found my Westie to be VERY bossy, tenacious, and independant. Training her has been a huge challenge compared to my last dog which was a beagle mix. I wish i would have spent more time training her as a pup though. Cute little things she used to do when she was 4lbs and a little fur ball like trying to pick a fight w/ a great dane used to be funny but as a full grown adult dog can be dangerous for her and other dogs. My advice would be to learn as much as you can about the breed so you know what to expect from your dogs personality and how to teach him to cope. The first couple of years that i had Abby i swore up and down i would never own another terrior! She was a HANDFUL for sure but mostly because i didnt do my research and had no idea what i was getting myself into. Ive learned effective ways to deal w/ all of her craziness and have put ALOT of time and effort into training and finally it is paying off. I just adopted a lhapsa-maltese a month ago and Abby is doing GREAT w/ him!
!cid__0919001705.jpg
!cid__0919001705.jpg (217.96 KiB) Viewed 2416 times