What Will Be Te Best Breed For My Next Dog

Breed specific discussion of your favorite breed.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Christie

What Will Be Te Best Breed For My Next Dog

Post by Christie »

If Anything Happens to Dutchie or Betsy What would be the best breed for the reason I am asking is because I am mentally Challenge & I am 55 years old I want something in the toy group yjsy doesn't reuier a lot of brushing & is easy to train :?:
Fundog

Re: What Will Be Te Best Breed For My Next Dog

Post by Fundog »

Toy Poodles are very smart, and useful as service dogs for people with various health challenges, from hearing impaired to severe anxiety. They do require some brushing, but not nearly so badly as, say, a Pomeranian or a Cavalier King Charles. Chihuahuas don't need much brushing at all, if you get the standard short haired variety. Same with Dachshunds, but Dachshunds are often so busy and inquisitive sniffing about that they may forget all about your needs, in favor of their own. Beagles are very smart little dogs, and have short coats. They like to be kept busy.
If an opportunity comes to you in life, say yes first, even if you don't know how to do it.
Christie

Post by Christie »

Fundog wrote:Toy Poodles are very smart, and useful as service dogs for people with various health challenges, from hearing impaired to severe anxiety. They do require some brushing, but not nearly so badly as, say, a Pomeranian or a Cavalier King Charles. Chihuahuas don't need much brushing at all, if you get the standard short haired variety. Same with Dachshunds, but Dachshunds are often so busy and inquisitive sniffing about that they may forget all about your needs, in favor of their own. Beagles are very smart little dogs, and have short coats. They like to be kept busy.
I underatand about the Pomeranian
That is what Betsy Is :D
Wicket

Post by Wicket »

Fundog wrote:Toy Poodles are very smart, and useful as service dogs for people with various health challenges, from hearing impaired to severe anxiety. They do require some brushing, but not nearly so badly as, say, a Pomeranian or a Cavalier King Charles. Chihuahuas don't need much brushing at all, if you get the standard short haired variety. Same with Dachshunds, but Dachshunds are often so busy and inquisitive sniffing about that they may forget all about your needs, in favor of their own. Beagles are very smart little dogs, and have short coats. They like to be kept busy.
Poodles--in all three sizes--do have big grooming requirements though. Since they have hair, they never shed so the hair will keep on growing if not cut every 4-6 weeks. The Poodles have a dense coat and do require frequent brushes (3 x a week to daily, depending how long it is) to prevent mats from forming. If you're looking for a low maintenance grooming, I'd say go with shedding, short coat breeds like Chihuahuas, Dachshunds or Beagles.
wvvdiup1

Post by wvvdiup1 »

What about a Basset Hound? They're easy to care for and don't require a lot of exercise! :D
"Common sense is instinct. Enough of it is genius." -author unknown
Christie

Post by Christie »

wvvdiup1 wrote:What about a Basset Hound? They're easy to care for and don't require a lot of exercise! :D
I Own a Basset Hound Name DUtchie she is a challenge to train but I am working on it :D
[/color]
maximoo

Post by maximoo »

I would suggest a goldendoodle or labradoodle. I have seen mini versions that are popping up now. which are medium sized around 40-50 lbs They are very intelligent & can be used for service dog tasks. Not sure about the grooming tho. I would not suggest a Dachsund (too barky) or a beagle (stubborn-well they get locked on a scent & can no longer hear commands) or chihuahua (many are neurotic, just my humble opinion)
Well you have time to think about it & research. Good Luck to you!
DogzRule1996

Post by DogzRule1996 »

What about a lab? They're nice, smart, and require little grooming, though shed seasonally.
(¯`'•.¸(¸.•'´ ¯)
♫♪(¯` ¸(¯`'•.¸**¸.•'´¯)¸.• ¯)♫♪
(¯`'•. --=-_Stop Animal Cruelty Now!_-=-- `'• .¸_)
(_¸-_(_¸.•'´*♫♪♫♪*`'•.¸_)`'• .¸_)
(._¸.•'´`'• .Â.=-¸_)
Wicket

Post by Wicket »

maximoo wrote:I would suggest a goldendoodle or labradoodle. I have seen mini versions that are popping up now. which are medium sized around 40-50 lbs They are very intelligent & can be used for service dog tasks. Not sure about the grooming tho. I would not suggest a Dachsund (too barky) or a beagle (stubborn-well they get locked on a scent & can no longer hear commands) or chihuahua (many are neurotic, just my humble opinion)
Well you have time to think about it & research. Good Luck to you!
According to Dogs 101, the grooming requirements for labradoodles depend on what kind of hair it has. Some are curly. Some are hairy. Some are like even more curly. The labradoodles I bathed, they received a similar poodle cut and some visited the salon as frequently as the Poodle's. In order to be hypoallergenic, the dog must have little dander and little shedding. If the dog doesn't shed, then the hair will need to be cut often like a Poodles. That's just my experience as a bather.

I'd say that it's important that to look at the individuals within the dog breeds as well.
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

I never wanted a Staffy until I got one, Ellie came for 10 days, 3/5 years ago and is still here. They make wonderful pet dogs, if you get an adult from a rescue you won't have the puppy problems.

Staffies give wonderfull kisses and cuddles, they have a fantastic grin that makes everyone smile especially when things are going bad for you. You can't stay down with a Staffy in the house. :lol:

Staffies are bred to be people dogs, all they want is to be with their mum and dad. :lol:
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]
wvvdiup1

Post by wvvdiup1 »

Christie wrote:
I Own a Basset Hound Name DUtchie she is a challenge to train but I am working on it
Oooops! I forgot you have a basset hound! :oops:

How about another one? :D
"Common sense is instinct. Enough of it is genius." -author unknown
Carol F. King

Post by Carol F. King »

My breed of choice is Yorke's. They are Terriers first and Toy Breed second. Terriers are not for everyone. They are stuborn, smart, independent thinkers, and training has to seem to be their idea.

There are a number of Toy Breeds that make great pets or Service Dogs.

I Foster for a Rescue and one of the dogs I'm Fostering is a Brussels Griffon mix. He is very loving and affectionate, wants to be held, sleeps touching me, pretty laid back. I call him "my stonier" If you rub his chest, his eyes glaze over and then the close, and he drifts off to sleep and falls over. He does love to play with my Chi/Jack Russell mix Assistance Dog. They chase each other all over the house and yard, chew on each other and then curl up in the same doggie bed and nap together.

I would suggest getting a book on Toy Breeds and read about all of them. Take into consideration the grooming, temperament, activity level, etc. Then you can ask about specific breeds you are more interested in and want to hear personal stories about.

Carol F. King
johnbaymore

Post by johnbaymore »

For best breeds, I would be recommended to you the German Shepherd Dog. This kind of breed is a symbol of love and beauty. I think this is a perfect match to your personality. German Shepherds are great dogs, they are sweet and can be your security guard as well.