Bichon Frise

Breed specific discussion of your favorite breed.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

bichonlover11

Bichon Frise

Post by bichonlover11 »

I am a new owner to a bichon. She is now 6 months old. I am having issues with socializing her with other dogs, she is fine around certain dogs but others she goes nuts. I also have a 7 year old Border Collie and she is fine with him, but I am to the point where I don't know what to do anymore. If she sees another dog even on television she goes nuts. Other than this issue she is super sweet she loves kids and I am hoping to get her into a therapy dog program where children can read to her as way to help them learn to read without being afraid, however she can't be barking at other dogs that come into the school. Any ideas for how to break this behavior?
***Melissa***

Re: Bichon Frise

Post by ***Melissa*** »

Everytime there's a dog on TV and she DOESN'T bark - give her a treat (or other reward - whatever she likes). Keep doing that untill she sees: Not barking at dog on TV = sweeties, thus, seeing dogs on TV is GOOOOOOD!! :D

For dogs she see outside on walks, etc - do the same, but keep her at a distance where she doesn't react. Treat when not barking. After a week or so - move a little closer to the other dog. Treat for not barking. Do this untill she's fine with dogs. This may take time, and you will have to move back again if she reacts after you moved a little closer.
There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face. ~Ben Williams