Dachshunds

Breed specific discussion of your favorite breed.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

ankoi

Dachshunds

Post by ankoi »

Didn't find thread for dachshunds, so I guess it's about time to discuss about these half-a-dog height and a-dog-and-half long loveable creatures :)

I have five months old long haired dachshund male, Tami. I'll post some pictures of him soon. I'd love to see your dachshund pictures!

Are you cautious about your wieners' backs? Do you let them walk stairs? Jump to beds and off? Do you use collar or harness, or does it even make any difference to their backs?
Mattie

Re: Dachshunds

Post by Mattie »

ankoi wrote: Are you cautious about your wieners' backs? Do you let them walk stairs? Jump to beds and off? Do you use collar or harness, or does it even make any difference to their backs?
Dolly is half a Dachsund, the other half is Cocker Spaniel, got her from a pound about 7 weeks ago. She is about a year old.

When she came into my house she immediately jumped into the sink, she regularly jumps onto the counters, over the baby gate, opens doors by jumping up and grabbing with her teeth and jumps over my fence which has now been raised. She races my other dogs up and down the stairs and tries to trip them up.

I always walk my dogs in a harness, I have a dog with a tracheotomy in and one now at the Rainbow Bridge also had neck damage so it is always a harness for me.
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]
ankoi

Post by ankoi »

Seems like she's as careful with her back as Tami is with his :D My friend had a dachshund who had intervertebral disk disease (had to check wikipedia for the correct term :roll:) and became paralyzed and few years after that had IVDD again. That makes me kinda nervous about his back. I avoid walking stairs if I have Tami with me, but I let him jump to beds, sofas etc. I've been thinking that when he's old enough, I'm going to get his back scanned, mostly because of my peace of mind :)

I'm certain that dachshunds were breed to trip instead hunting :mrgreen:
josie1918

Post by josie1918 »

Is Tami a standard or a miniature? All mine have been the smooth coats, but aren't they something? I will die owning this breed, nothing makes me laugh like them. You can honestly watch them and see the little wheels turning while they try figure out "how can I make this work for me" :lol: I doubt a scan this early on would be of much help, as the disease usually develops with age. If you are worried about it, Please discourage, jumping on and off furniture, train them to wait to be picked up, do not allow him to run on a hard surface (concrete, brick etc) only soil, and yes, avoid stairs. You can start early supplementation of glucosamine500mg and chondroitin 400mg, when he is about 1 year old, and feed him also some fish oil. This should ensure a less traumatized spine. :D
ankoi

Post by ankoi »

Oh, I love them! I've known only few dachshunds well enough to say, but their personality really is something extraordinary :mrgreen: Tami is a standard, already weighs over 15.5 lbs (about 7kgs) so I guess he's gonna become a big guy.

Oh no, I'm not going to scan his back yet. If I remember the recommendation correctly, it should be done between ages 2 and 4.

Does it make a difference if he jumps on and off things and go the stairs up and down? Btw, which is more harmful, going up or down? It will definetly make me feel better, but will it have any difference on his odds to have the disease? Running on hard surface being bad for his back was new to me, though it makes sense, thanks!

I've been thinking to start feeding him salmon oil, because his skin is a little dry, but nice to hear it's good for his back also :) I've ever heard of glucosamine and chondroitin, but I must do a research on them and whether they sell them here.

How many weenies do you own/owned? Did you have problems keeping them off-leash? I've never experienced any problems keeping Tami off-leash, though many have warned me about it. Maybe the problems are yet to occur :D
josie1918

Post by josie1918 »

I have owned about `15 "dackel" in my life, currently I have 4. The standards, usually have less trouble with backs than do the minatures. :D Keep his weight to a normal range (do not let him get to heavy) and Truly, just avoid stairs and jumping all together, he will thank you for it when he is a little old man dog :D
Personaly I would never let mine off a leash, they are hunters, but then mine I have all gotten as adults. I work as a veterinary professional here in the states, and I have taken in the dachshunds that people did not want. They are not a calm little lap dog, they are feisty, energetic, and as I said hunters. Marvelous dogs, just wonderful. You should be able to find glucosamine/chondroitin online, e-bay, or other stores, it is all natural, so cannot harm you little fellow. Does yours LOVE the squeaky toys as much as mine do? If it squeaks it is the favorite toy :lol:
josie1918

Post by josie1918 »

Oh and regarding the spine, they can injure the disks, which wear down with age, by jumping off furniture. It isn't a nice thing, and the poor little souls are in such agony, I just think it is better not to let them jump.
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

No small dog should go up and down stairs on their own, it can damage their crutial ligaments, problem is nobody has told Dolly, the speed she races up and down is incredible. :evil:
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]
***Melissa***

Post by ***Melissa*** »

I have a standard dachshund, Striker, and he is about a year and a half. And then I have Bibi (a dachshund x jack russel), and she's a little over 7 months.

They are great little doggies, with great personalities and tons of energy.
There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face. ~Ben Williams
josie1918

Post by josie1918 »

Melissa, AWWWWWW!!!!! I would bet yours are a howl to watch play!!!!
***Melissa***

Post by ***Melissa*** »

Lol, yes Josie. :D

Striker's most favourite thing in this world is to follow tracks with his nose (or random sniffing in new places).

Bibi is a little insecure (we're working hard on her confidence)...she's a weird one though. She walks nicely on lead but she doesn't like it at all. Off lead time is what makes her tick :wink:
There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face. ~Ben Williams
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

***Melissa*** wrote: Bibi is a little insecure (we're working hard on her confidence)...she's a weird one though. She walks nicely on lead but she doesn't like it at all.

Walking nicely on a lead is down to the hard work you put in at first Melissa, it shows just how well puppies can be if trained properly. You should be very proud of yourself. :D
***Melissa***

Post by ***Melissa*** »

Thanx Mattie :D
Sabrina

Post by Sabrina »

Hooray for doxies!

My husband and I adopted Charley about a year and a half ago, and he's a great little guy! If whatever I have in my hand is the most interesting thing in the area, he'll do anything for me :lol: The shelter told us that a "breeder" surrendered him and one of his littermates (already adopted when we adopted Charley) because she couldn't sell them. Probably bred them as "Christmas puppies" :evil: and left them at the shelter before they got big enough for people to tell that they weren't true minis :evil:. We think he's probably some sort of cross between a mini and a standard, because at almost 2yrs old he's about 16lbs but he has the "mini look" to him. We always walk him on a harness. I do worry about his back, but unfortunately Charley doesn't... We don't have any stairs, but he used to jump on/off our bed so much that my husband made him a little carpeted doggy ramp :P Charley will still jump off of his ramp when he's about halfway down, but at least now it's not as much of a jump. (He sleeps in his kennel with his snuggly dog bed, but during the day he loves to nap on our bed!)

We made a tunnel for him out of cat play cubes (but we didn't tell Charley they were for cats so his doggie ego is still intact :lol: ) which only comes out when we can supervise, as left to his own devices he'd chew it to pieces.... This morning it was raining - he hates rain! - so I hid little bits of his breakfast in different cubes and Charley got to hunt for his food. Boy, he loved that! After he found the little stash he'd run out of the tunnel looking for more, so I sent him to his "place" (a little mat in the living room) while I hid another little stash and had him watch me until I released him to go hunt for it --- after a bit of this Charley ran to his place on his own, sat down, and looked at me with his "I'm-ready-let's-do-this-again!" look :D
Sabrina

Post by Sabrina »

***Melissa*** wrote:I have a standard dachshund, Striker, and he is about a year and a half. And then I have Bibi (a dachshund x jack russel), and she's a little over 7 months.
Melissa, your dogs are adorable!