Dachshunds

Breed specific discussion of your favorite breed.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

***Melissa***

Re: Dachshunds

Post by ***Melissa*** »

Sabrina wrote:I do worry about his back, but unfortunately Charley doesn't...
Oh, Sabrina - this is so true!!

Thanx for the comment on my doggies :D
There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face. ~Ben Williams
Ary

Post by Ary »

I am the happy "mom" of a standard black and tan dachshund. Her name is Chloe and she is 6 years old. She has been with me 3 months now. She was rescued from a puppy mill. She was a breeder and spent all her life in a cage. She was really scared and shy. She was sitting in a corner and did not want to walk. I was her foster mom, and little by little she started to warm up. I decided to adopt her, she is really attached to me and I thought it would be very stressful for her to adapt to a new home. Plus I am in love with her, so i could not stand the idea of giving her away. It is always hard with all of the dogs I foster, but with her I just could not do it. She is adorable, I love her with all my heart. We are together most of the time, she is not with me only if I am at work on in places where dogs are not allowed. After a couple of months, Chloe is now another dog! She plays, runs, chews on her rawhide.... she even lets people pet her! I know this should be normal for a dog, but for breeders in puppy mill all of this in not normal at all! My Chloe sleeps in bed with me and loves to sit on the couch at night while we watch TV. She also loves to sleep between me and my boyfriend when we are together the weekends. I know she is getting spoiled a lot, but I think she had such a terrible life for six years, now she deserves to be a spoiled little dog! And plus she really is well behaved, she never and I mean never barks! She only whines a little when I am not with her, but rather than that she does just fine. Never chewed or destroyed anything in the house. She is fine with all my pets, especially with my cats. Actually the cats sometimes steal her food.... she just sits there with sad eyes and lets them eat! I usually pick her up when there are stairs, but she jumps on and off the couch and there is nothing I can do about it. I never had a dachshund before, only big dogs, but I fell in love with this little girl. She is the love of my life!
***Melissa***

Post by ***Melissa*** »

They are adorable little dogs - I have a dachshund too :D
Both my dogs sleep with us in bed - nothing wrong with spoiling a dog, as long as it's not something that's bad for the dog, like unhealthy things to eat, etc :wink:
She sounds as if she has a wonderful life with you :D
There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face. ~Ben Williams
Ary

Post by Ary »

***Melissa*** wrote:They are adorable little dogs - I have a dachshund too :D
Both my dogs sleep with us in bed - nothing wrong with spoiling a dog, as long as it's not something that's bad for the dog, like unhealthy things to eat, etc :wink:
She sounds as if she has a wonderful life with you :D
She is happy, i can tell she is. And most of all she makes me happy too. My life is much better after I adopted Chloe. I have a lot of work to do, with all the pets I have I am busy a lot, but I don't mind. They all give me a lot of joy.
kitdragon2000

Post by kitdragon2000 »

Im Sooo Excited to find a Doxie Post!!! :D :twisted: :D

Ok to the questions <If you even look at this anymore.> 1 currently have 3 doxies, all rabbit or tweener size doxies,<between 12 to 14 pounds> at the moment all long haired. but all togeather we have had over 20.

Doxies Are more prone to back problems, but if you keep them at a healthy weight, <where you can feel their ribs with a gentle push, they have a tummy tuck, and a nice waist line looking down at them.> they will usually be fine. one big things to look out for though is jumping, a lot of the time the little buggers dont know they arnt sapost to jump and they do... a Lot... do stairs as much as possible, if for some reason they stop trying to go up or down stairs, go see a vet this is one of the first signs they could have hurt their backs.

I use collars and Harnesses for my doxies. i have to admit my current buggers pull on the collars to much :oops: so i trained them on harnesses and they walk great! its ultamitaly how they walk / act on either for you. if they pull on the collar pretty hard either switching them or training them not to pull.

Another thing i have found is that doxies have a tendency to have their nails grow extreamly fast! and when they have longs nails it can affect their gait, which it turn can affect their back because they are compencating. just like when we limp on one leg the other starts to hurt because we are using it more.

But other then that you gotta love them! I have to say i will never be without one! <Lol I just turned to look @ my long haired male, who is at the moment chewing on a raw hide bone, he stops his chewing to look at me, with his bone in his mouth like "whatcha doin ma?" sorry had to share, I do love my guys.>

Soooo ya. hope that helps! I love this breed so much! I could talk about them alllllllllllll day :oops:
I routinly confuse myself, my animals are the only things that keep me sane...

I have 6 kids
1 has 2 legs
The rest have four

I love them all the same.
mj513

Post by mj513 »

I'm a newbie to this forum; but, definitely not new to dachshunds. We have had dachsies for 36+ years. Did I mention that we love the breed :lol: ? We are currently owned by 2 long hair mini males - Tucker, a 4 year old shaded cream; and Teegan, a 2 year old black and cream.

I've enjoyed reading all of your posts and look forward to getting to know you and your little long dogs. If you enjoy talking about dachsies, I invite you to check out the dachsie bulletin board. Just Google it. We are a group of people who share the love of the breed. Dachsies are short on legs; but, long on love. :wink:
doxnd1

Post by doxnd1 »

I have a dog that ruptured a disc and he went through a LOT of pain before having surgery. Fortunately, he made a full recovery and 5 years later is still a very happy, healthy, loving friend. But I do have ramps instead of letting him jump on/off the couch and try to keep the other two from doing the same (the 4 y/o is the worst at jumping, sometimes he flies off).

A WONDERFUL resource on disc disease in dogs is http://www.dodgerslist.com. You can find out lots of information on the disease, causes, treatments, veterinary experts, and a support community. I highly recommend it!!

Jen