Possible Coydog?

Breed specific discussion of your favorite breed.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

emily728

Possible Coydog?

Post by emily728 »

I got my dog Sushi from a Mojave Desert animal shelter as a pup 2 years ago. Ive been questioning her breed since she has fully grown. Shes amazingly fast and swift, has LONG skinny legs, a deep chest and very thin pointed paws. She has all black toe nails and a widows peak. At first I thought she was a whippet but after reading about them and looking at several pictures im not so sure anymore. She is friendly with family and friends but once she leave our house shes incredibly skiddish and shy. She 'kills' stuffed animals in seconds, digs and curls up in a tight ball. ANY help on what breed my mut might be will be wonderful!!

I can post better pictures later if these arent any help!
Fundog

Re: Possible Coydog?

Post by Fundog »

A lot of breeds exhibit the behavior traits you describe: I have a full-breed English Setter that behaves the same way. Rather, when I saw the pics, the first things that came to mind were a mix of whippet, lab, and perhaps a little touch of German Shepherd. And that was even before I read your post.

When I was a child, we had a dog whom the folks we got her from claimed was a full German Shepherd. However, once she finished growing, it became apparent that there was a bit of something else. We actually named her "Coyote," because that is what she looked like, even more than the GSD!

Oh, and another thing: Coyotes are not big dogs. They are only about 35-40 lbs. and maybe 20-22 inches at the shoulder. A coyote blend is more likely to make a mutt dog smaller, not bigger. And you do have a pretty good sized dog there.
If an opportunity comes to you in life, say yes first, even if you don't know how to do it.
Doglover42

Post by Doglover42 »

her face reminds me of a lab/beagle! :)
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

She is very like Tilly who is a Greyhound/Belgian Malinois. When I first got her I thought she was a GSD/Lab/Greyhound, it was someone with a Lalinois who told me what she was. As she is a Greyhound (Sighthound) crossed with a herding dog (Malinois) Tilly is a Lurcher. :lol:

This is the nearest photo to your dog that I have, she had been in a dog show and wasn't impressed with having the rosettes put on her for her photo.

[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]
Doglover42

Post by Doglover42 »

Cute dog mattie!
maximoo

Post by maximoo »

That widows' peak is a marking of a rottweiller. So I am pretty sure ther's a little rottie in there.
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Most of my dogs have widow's peak too - not a trace of rottie :D theirs comes from the saluki and the border collie.

Someone tell me what a coydog is please?
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
Leigha

Post by Leigha »

Wikipedia says its a mix between a male coyote and a female dog. I'd never heard of it either.
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Received wisdom is that coyotes would rather eat dogs than breed them - is such a cross seen often?
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
Leigha

Post by Leigha »

I googled again... I found from most sites that they're rare, a site called Museum of Hoaxes quotes someone as saying there's been no physical evidence to suggest they're real, but that in theory it would be possible (just not plausible because the mating cycles are different). Wikipedia said they're "fairly rare" because of the heat cycles. Seems that some are firm in their belief that coydogs are urban legends, others say it's genetically POSSIBLE--just not behaviorally probable, and others say that it happens--just rare.
Fundog

Post by Fundog »

These days, as urban encroachment of wildlife habitat becomes more common, lone coyotes have been known to enter a yard where a dog is kept chained up outside and mate with the captive dog. While still relatively uncommon, it is becoming seen more often. Coyotes have even been known to breach gates and fences to get into someone's yard, especially for hunting smaller pets (like cats) and for raiding trash cans. If there just happens to be a female in heat in that particular yard, then a litter of coyote hybrid pups may show themselves soon.
If an opportunity comes to you in life, say yes first, even if you don't know how to do it.
levenshugh

Post by levenshugh »

Leigha wrote:I googled again... I found from most sites that they're rare, a site called Museum of Hoaxes quotes someone as saying there's been no physical evidence to suggest they're real, but that in theory it would be possible (just not plausible because the mating cycles are different). Wikipedia said they're "fairly rare" because of the heat cycles. Seems that some are firm in their belief that coydogs are urban legends, others say it's genetically POSSIBLE--just not behaviorally probable, and others say that it happens--just rare.
I completely agree with you.Very well said, thanks for sharing.
You have done an great job.
laceygraves1995

Post by laceygraves1995 »

i dont reall think its coydog, my friend has a dog that looks alot like it the dog is part german sheperd golden retriever yellow lab and husky, minus the husky and i think thats what that dog is