Toy Fox Terriers, also known as the Amertoy!

Breed specific discussion of your favorite breed.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Emily333

Toy Fox Terriers, also known as the Amertoy!

Post by Emily333 »

The Toy Fox Terrier, also known as the Amertoy, a truly American breed. My Toy Fox Terrier, Petie, is very aggressive. He gets too excited when meeting other dogs and it, OK when it comes to meeting a few people inside our home goes balistic when it is anymore. Whenever my family comes over for Christmas, Thanks Giving, Halloween or when we go to the beach (yearly family vacation), I have to keep him in my room otherwise he will bark and snap at everyone. He especially has a big problem when it comes to boys approaching, or little kids. He seems OK with girls but only if they are old enough. Things have gotten so bad, my family has started calling him the "Psycho Dog". How can I train him to be calm, lovable, sweet dog that he is around me and my immediate family?
Smiles4life

Re: Toy Fox Terriers, also known as the Amertoy!

Post by Smiles4life »

Hi Emily,

It sounds like your TFT is unsure of new people and dogs. You might want to look into a positive trainer/behaviorist to assess the situation in person and come up with a plan to help.

I have 1 Rat Terrier who is not okay with kids and takes awhile to warm up to new people. I think we didn't socialize him as much as we should have as a pup. He was our first so we've learned a lot since then.

Hope that helps.