German Shepherds!

Breed specific discussion of your favorite breed.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Noobs

Re: German Shepherds!

Post by Noobs »

Wicket wrote:
jibber wrote:Hi i am new to this site and very interested in anyones advice regarding my german shepherd puppy. He is a male and is almost 17 weeks old. He likes to grab onto our clothes or our arms or legs etc at any given opportunity, his teeth are very sharp and hurts us we have 3 young children and are very keen to learn how to stop him doing this. We attend a training school and they have said he is very bright but im unable to fine a method that works . We have put him in the crate held him by his scruff nothing works please can anyone help us he is also very dominant with our 14 year old mongrel.
:shock: I'm surprised no one commented on this.
Probably just got lost, perhaps Em can split it into a new topic? If jibber is even still here.
Wicket

Post by Wicket »

Noobs, jibbers first and only post was in July so I doubt he's here. :(
Dakine'smama

Post by Dakine'smama »

Hello German Shepherd fans! I am new to the forums and just found this thread. My shepherd Dakine has that shorter coat. He's still a puppy (4 months-ish) and all black. Is this the type of coat you guys were referring to in the first few pages?
He thinks the couch is HIS
He thinks the couch is HIS
IMG_3599.jpg (62.18 KiB) Viewed 13528 times
"Are we going to play now???"
"Are we going to play now???"
IMG_3601.jpg (87.04 KiB) Viewed 13528 times
See his shorter coat?
See his shorter coat?
IMG_3614.jpg (82.45 KiB) Viewed 13528 times
***Melissa***

Post by ***Melissa*** »

He's gorgeous!
There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face. ~Ben Williams
Olivers mama

Post by Olivers mama »

OK, well, I give up on trainers in our area...After 2 negative experiences, I contacted a VS-trained person (there are only 2 in Calif - 1 in NoCal & 1 in SoCal). I'm far north & so contacted that one. First, it took well over 2 weeks to get a response. Then, it was to tell me she's "too busy", & suggested another facility close to us. A couple of emails back & forth & this trainer was going to schedule an interview/assessment in our home.

That was last month. I've called & left messages, to no avail. This is EXACTLY what the charlitans already know: that the good trainers are too "busy" & completely unavailable. So the Nasties can move in & take over...& that's how so much $$ is wasted & how so many dogs get abused. Irritates me, but there's not a darn thing I can do about it.

We're trying to learn from VS's show & put that together with Obedience Trial training with which I'm familiar. It's going to take longer without "professional" help, but I'm really tired of some of these people & how much they obviously think of themselves. In it for the $$ - obviously. And nothing else matters.

We've had Ziva slightly over 3 months now & things are, slowly but surely, making progress. Using a Halti head harness, her basic obedience has definitely improved, albeit, only if there's food treats. And if there's a barrier between us & her - like her in the back seat of the truck, or behind her crate door, she acts like she no idea what "sit" or "stay" means. Baby steps - because she's got a real good grasp of "wait".

We'll get there - just wish we had help to hasten the process. The cats are tired of being locked up... :mrgreen:

Sorry - just wanted to vent, I guess. I wish there was a way to get the info to VS & let her know how her trainers respond!

Becky
Wicket

Post by Wicket »

Hey Oliver's mama,
Maybe you could post in the training thread and we could try to help you figure things out!
maximoo

Post by maximoo »

We had a german sheperd named Rainy for 9 yrs when I was growing up. We got her @ age 2 for protection. My mom's bf bred GS & he gave her to us. She was a big girl, with a mostly pink nose. She was mated & gave birth to 12 pups. I was 8 yrs old and I "married" her & Mickey (the sire) Anyway she went back to mother's bf house for the birth as we had no clue. My mother never owned a dog before. Unfortunetly Rainy squashed some of her pups by laying on them. :( Anyway she lived to age 11. In the last months of her life she could barely walk (hip dysplasia) I am assuming. One day I went out but before I left I was looking at her and noticed that she didn't look well. Her head was cocked to one side, was foaming at the mouth a little & appeared to be in a trance or something. I didn't think much of it at the time as I was 17 & had no other experience to compare it to. When I returned a few hrs later she was 'gone'. I couldn't believe it!!
In retrospect, we did not provide her with the life she deserved. We lived in an apt, she was fed Ken'l ration 2x a day, was taken out to potty 2x a day but never ' walked', was overweight, was never brushed/bathed & went to the vet just 1/2x. She had to have a tumor removed from one of her breast at age 8/9. Oh and she wore a prong collar. I was a kid knew nothing about dogs, just knew I loved them. We never abused her or anything , we just didn't know all we could nor did my mom make any effort. Rainy did seem to prefer my brother over me/mom. But Im sure was loyal to all of us.
We never should've had a dog since we were so naive about them. But we did love her. I don't dwell on it, but I use that experience to do right by Max and any future dogs I might own. As an adult I clearly acknowledge all that wasn't right, and try my best to give Max a good life.
Well that's my story of my GSD Rainy. She was a good dog, and I am regretful that she didn't have a better life.
Whitefang

Post by Whitefang »

Last edited by Whitefang on Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
3 dog mom

Post by 3 dog mom »

thank you for creating this! i have my very first GSD, max, and he will be 4yo on tuesday. i also have an american eskimo (haley - female) and an eskie/golden retriever mix (bosco, my first rescue and my first male dog!). suffice it to say, bringing in a GSD was a bit overwhelming, but my 3 dogs are fabulous together! max is my avatar - he is just stunning (don't all GSD owners say that? :D )

i look forward to reading posts from other owners.
~ toni
"properly trained, man can be a dog's best friend" ~ corey ford
Just2Swt2

Post by Just2Swt2 »

Hi, I have a wonderful sheppard named bowie..she is about two years old. She goes crazy when someone comes to the door. She is so nuts I can't even distract her with a treat. I wanted to know if anyone has the same problem? Or anyone has a solution? :D
Attachments
bowie 2.jpg
bowie 2.jpg (58.4 KiB) Viewed 13389 times
~M~
jakesmom

Post by jakesmom »

Hi Just2Swt2

He's gorgeous, just look at those ears.

We've had five shepherds over the years and they have all been the same when the door knocks, they either bark like crazy if they don't know who it is (which is useful) or whine very loudly if they do and are excited.

Personally I put them in another room or outside before I answer the door. That way I can answer the door in peace, and the dogs calm down a little while they're waiting. It's surprising how quickly they get used to the routine.

If Bowie won't go out when you tell him to, just pop his lead on and take him out, no matter how long it takes to coax him, then give him a treat if he'll have one. Once he realises you will not answer the door until he is out of the way, he will soon go out when you tell him to.

I know some people train their dogs to sit while they answer the door, but I find it easier and safer to put them out.
SmallBarkBigBite

Post by SmallBarkBigBite »

I just wanted to comment that you GSD owners have some truly beautiful dogs. I have owned a GSD before, now I have a Belgian Malinois who is usually confused by the general public as a GSD. I love the temperament and especially the drive and intelligence of these dogs. Keep posting pics of your shepherds... they're gorgeous.
Erica

Post by Erica »

Here's my Opal. She's from German working lines. :) She's intelligent to the extreme - and she's chained her own behaviors. We give her a treat every time she comes inside, so she'll get us to take her outside, then she'll run a circle, run back inside, and look up at the treat box. Haha!

She too gets pretty intense when there are visitors...or people walking by...or squirrels or deer or shadows...lol. Sometimes she has dreams and wakes up in "guard mode." The first time it snowed? She looked out the window, began barking and ran around the house until we took her outside and she realized it was nothing to be concerned about. Love her silly self!
Delta, standard poodle, born 6/30/14
springchowie11

Post by springchowie11 »

I used to have a 2 year GS he was large. I was cute and I got quite attached to him. We only had him for one week because he was nipping at my sister because she kept playing with his food. His name was Milo. We ended up selling him to someone who didn't have children, to prevent the whole case of nipping at little ones. Previously he had nipped the owners before us that had him, he had nipped a little girl and she didn't do anything.
springchowie11