Kennel Club Registration

Breed specific discussion of your favorite breed.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

shining-one

Kennel Club Registration

Post by shining-one »

I bought a Golden Retriever puppy on the 9th Feb 2010. I was told and it was advertised as Kennel Club resgistred but I still haven't got the documents back. Everytime I ring the seller she has some excuse like, been very busy or posted it yesterday, I am beginning to wonder if it is true. Do you think there is anything I can do about it?

The puppy has had some problems with limping and it may be possible that it is his hips. I don't want anyone else to buy one if this is the case.

It was clear that the puppy had been home reared and was not from a puppy farm.

Thank you for any replies.
Mattie

Re: Kennel Club Registration

Post by Mattie »

This is a well known trick that back yard breeders do, they are just as bad a puppy farms but don't breed as many pups. They don't do any tests on the parents and are breeding problems into the breeds.
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]
shining-one

Post by shining-one »

Is there anything I can do like report them, get some of my money back or anything I can do to stop them doing it again?
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

If you still have the advert, then trading standards is the way to go, I think you can also speak to the kennel club and find out if the pups were ever registered however I highly suspect the answer to this will be no, as Mattie says this is one of the oldest tricks in the book unfortunately and they rely on the fact that people dont understand the registration process.

Its not at all expensive to register pups if both parents are reg, it rarely took longer than 8 weeks even before the days of online registration, these days most people will have the paperwork back long before the puppies are ready to go home!

The fact that this breeder hasnt got the papers suggests that either the KC wouldnt issue any as one or both parents are not registered, or one or both parents have endorsed pedigrees meaning their offspring cannot be registered, or the ***** was under age or posssssssssssibly, it was a consecutive litter (i think they have changed the rules on that) or... the mating was too close, father/daughter or mother/son or brother/sister are I believe, no longer allowed, or... the parents are not the same breed. (Happens.. i know a lady sells golden retriever puppies as KC reg.. they arent, the dad is half labrador! but the buyers are miles away and shes banked their cash before they find they cant get papers!).

If you do have the advert, trading standards may help you, also if you believe that this person is breeding regularly then their local tax office may be interested to know too... (that sort of person tends not to fill out tax returns as well as not getting pups registered!).
West Midlands based 1-2-1 Training & Behaviour Canine Consultant
shining-one

Post by shining-one »

Many thanks that is most helpful.

I have the advert saved on the computer as there was a cute photo of the puppies on it.

I will follow your advice and see if I can do anything about it.