Rottweiler

Breed specific discussion of your favorite breed.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

merapi

Rottweiler

Post by merapi »

We have a 3 months old rottweiler puppy :D He's cute but as we've never had a rottweiler before I would appreciate any advice on zhis breed.
cavalierkisses

Re: Rottweiler

Post by cavalierkisses »

I'd love to hear more about this breed! I wish I could have one already because I love them so much.

I can give some childhood information about what I know these dogs are capable of.

This is a personal story, so don't pity me and I'm comfortable to share it.

My mother was not a good mother, but she was a GOOD dog trainer. She'd leave me abandoned in her apartment for hours at a time, I'm talking like... sometimes more than 12 hours. Her excuse to my grandparents were "the dogs are watching her". But, there was only one dog that was. And my grandmother told me the stories of this dog.

She was a Rottie and her name was Killer. My mother had trained her to attack on came, and she had impulse control like a German shepherd. She had defended both my mother and father from attacks on at least two occasions, and she did it very well.

But the most remarkable thing was that she took care of me, a baby, not a toddler. If you are familiar with the story of Peter Pan than you know Nana the dog. That was Killer for me. She watched over me, kept me from the dangers of the house, shut the other dogs up when they woke me up from my naps. If my mother left me abandoned and my diaper was soiled... the dog would gently remove (somehow) the diaper and herd me over to someplace clean so I would sit in my soiled diapers. She'd be right at my pen with her big face trying to squeeze in as much as possible to watch me... her eyes would stare into mind until I calmed down and stopped crying. For 7 months that dog was my mother, and there were times when my mother would hit me and that dog would growl and bark at her. The dog showed signs that she felt like I wasn't being taken care of and she had to step up.

The saddest story is when one day my other left me in the apartment for a little over 24 hours... 24 HOURS. The rottie wouldn't stop until she could get into the fridge and find a bottle, and tried to drop it in my pen. I wouldn't eat it because it was cold so she sat on it until it was warn, and licked me to try and comfort.

When my grandparents finally took me away from my mother Killer was left with her... and the dog stopped listening to her. She literally tried to attack her, and when I came to visit she wouldn't leave me alone. She listened to my grandparents, and eventually they demanded that Killer come with them.

The dog saved my life, I don't know how she figured things out. I know all of this because my mother bragged about it to my grandparents, like as though Killer's instincts to care and protect me made it OK for her to leave me. Killer never forgave my mother and wouldn't let her in the house. This was the woman that raised her, trained her, and the dog held a grudge.

The hardest thing for me is that since I was a baby when all this happened I didn't remember, I didn't know. I neglected Killer as I got older, and she died without the love from me she should have received in returned. And, like a good mother... my grandparents told me she forgave me and still loved me until she died. It breaks my heart that as I grew up I didn't give her attention.

Rotties are amazing, and now... I wish I could have one. But my family isn't ready. Someday I will... I love and respect the breed, and I'd like to have a Rottie of my own to be the gentle giant they are capable of. And, I want to do it in Killer's memory.
laurab2479

Post by laurab2479 »

Hi,
I dont know much about Rotties but my sister -in-law had one a few years back and he was amazing with their daughter from when she was born until dylan died when their daughter was 7yrs old,He had a fantastic temperment,even though he wasnt trained as much as he could have been and never reached his full potential.He was a Gentle Giant and loved hair scrunchies,he could literally take one out your hair without you feeling a thing!!
We have just gotten a Dogue De bordeaux Puppy and she is going to be BIG,my main reason for wanting this breed was that they are great with kids,given the correct training and have the most adorable face,lol.
I hope you look into as much info about the breed as you can and give it all your love and you will get it back tenfold. Good Luck,xx

Cavalierkisses:your experience with Killer is amazing,I certanly dont pity you,Your dog proves that these breed should be given more credit and I hope one day you get to have your own Rottie,your story really touched me and I wish you all the best,xx
DogzRule1996

Post by DogzRule1996 »

Here's basically all the information you need about rotties:
http://animal.discovery.com/breedselect ... do?id=2490
You can also search up a bunch of other dogs as well if you need :D
(¯`'•.¸(¸.•'´ ¯)
♫♪(¯` ¸(¯`'•.¸**¸.•'´¯)¸.• ¯)♫♪
(¯`'•. --=-_Stop Animal Cruelty Now!_-=-- `'• .¸_)
(_¸-_(_¸.•'´*♫♪♫♪*`'•.¸_)`'• .¸_)
(._¸.•'´`'• .Â.=-¸_)