Border Collies

Breed specific discussion of your favorite breed.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

CashChunn

Re: Border Collies

Post by CashChunn »

My parents have a 5 year old Border Collie. I am a college student so I live most of the time at school. We got Bentley when he was about a year old from a breeder, he had been sold as a puppy, but the lady who initially bought him could no longer keep him due to moving to an apartment. My dad had always wanted a Border to herd his cattle (just has about 20 head, hobby) Well, we got him, and didn't know he was trained to herd horses. I have high dollar barrel horses, that we don't really want chased. More than that, we can't even let him outside off-leash because he will chase and chase AND chase, until he can't even stand up. Once he sees a horse, he has tunnel vision, he can't hear us and its almost IMPOSSIBLE to catch him. Most of the time we have to just let him run until he can't anymore. During the summer, here in Texas it gets 100+ degrees so when he gets out then, we worry he will run himself to death if we can't catch him. He is very smart and responsive in the house, but outside around the horses he is a completely different dog. We have tried just about EVERYTHING. We feel awful for him, because Borders are an active breed and we have 50 acres he could run and play on, but he stays couped up inside 24/7 becasue we can't let him out (even on-leash he darts and runs at the horses and can't relax and enjoy himself) We love him to death and would never TRY to get rid of him, but an opportunity fell in our lap to "re-home" him, even though it would break our hearts. We just want him to be happpy and be able to run and play. The people did a trial run, but they had 19 month old twins that pulled his hair and such and they scared the life out of him. Firstly, we would love to be able to fix this and keep him because we absolutely LOVE him. He is the SWEETEST dog ever. THE MOST precious, innocent face. OR regretfully find a home for him with no horses that he could run and play and have no worries.
macylee36

Post by macylee36 »

I know this is training Positively - so if someone else has a better idea then by all means!! For your BC though I would think to get a training collar for him. BCs are super smart and I bet he would catch on right away. You could train him to only go over to the horses when you say "okay".
Aulie - 8 yo Border Collie/Australian Shepherd
Zoe - 4 yo German Shepherd/Norwegian Elkhound

Other pets:
Keoki - 10 yo kitty
4 chickens
2 turtles

Too many pets!
CashChunn

Post by CashChunn »

we have tried that :(
macylee36

Post by macylee36 »

Maybe you could try training in a dislike of horses in an environment he isn't around them. Maybe get some pictures of horses and when he notices them and/or reacts, make a really negative sound. Hopefully that would eventually transfer over to live horses.
Aulie - 8 yo Border Collie/Australian Shepherd
Zoe - 4 yo German Shepherd/Norwegian Elkhound

Other pets:
Keoki - 10 yo kitty
4 chickens
2 turtles

Too many pets!
ashley24

Post by ashley24 »

My fiance and I recently adopted a border collie this past summer. He was a very bad abuse case, the previous owmers had chained him up with the chain wrapped around his neck, not even a collar. The chain grew into his skin and had to be surgically removed by the vet. When we got him his scruff was just growing back. The rescue said the vet estimated his age to be between 5 and 7 years old. At first he was a very skittish and timid little thing but now if either one of us goes outside he is extremely loving and wants to follow us EVERYWHERE. He is great with my neices and nephew and is extremly gentle with my father who had to have a leg removed, he matches his pace perfectly and never gets in his way, just stays slightly beside or behind them. We have a few goats and at first he was fascinated with herding them into the barn. Anymore they could walk on top of him and he wouldn't even notice bless his heart. We are having a really hard time dealing with his car cashing urges. He seems to want to only herd my fiance and myself whenever we try to leave the house and meets us when we pull in and leads us into the driveway. This is becoming a serious issue because a few weeks ago my fiance accidentally clipped his back leg with the back of the car. We desperately need help with this behavior! I am terrified that he is going to get ran over. We have a LOT of land for him to run on and he goes with my fiance almost everyday when he goes for a bicycle ride so he gets his exercise but the chasing still won't stop! I would truly appreciate any advice that anyone has. Also, is it too late to attempt to train him?
doglover228

Post by doglover228 »

Ok, so yesterday we kind of adopted a dog. I say kind of because we didn't adopt him from a shelter but from an abusive home. At the home he was at, a man slammed his back left leg in a sliding door because he jumped on a 6 year old. The little girl had been teasing and pulling on the dog. The mans ex-wife said to take the dog before the guy got home so the kids wouldn't have to see it and him be mad at the kids. So now I have a gorgious 3-4 month old black and white border collie that limps. I'm not an expert but I'm pretty sure it's not broken. He runs, plays, and itches his head with his foot. But it's swollen and when he is standing or just walking he puts little to no pressure on it. Plus, and I know it's because he was abused, he it very shy. When you walk up to him he hides under the table. But even though this is only the second day he is doing better with people. Is there anything I can do about his foot? And his fear? Last thing is I have two dogs that are yorkies and they are scared of him they growl and bark at him and then go hide. Is there anything I can do about that?
BCMumto3

Post by BCMumto3 »

doglover228 wrote:Ok, so yesterday we kind of adopted a dog. I say kind of because we didn't adopt him from a shelter but from an abusive home. At the home he was at, a man slammed his back left leg in a sliding door because he jumped on a 6 year old. The little girl had been teasing and pulling on the dog. The mans ex-wife said to take the dog before the guy got home so the kids wouldn't have to see it and him be mad at the kids. So now I have a gorgious 3-4 month old black and white border collie that limps. I'm not an expert but I'm pretty sure it's not broken. He runs, plays, and itches his head with his foot. But it's swollen and when he is standing or just walking he puts little to no pressure on it. Plus, and I know it's because he was abused, he it very shy. When you walk up to him he hides under the table. But even though this is only the second day he is doing better with people. Is there anything I can do about his foot? And his fear? Last thing is I have two dogs that are yorkies and they are scared of him they growl and bark at him and then go hide. Is there anything I can do about that?
Well done for getting the dog out of there , but now you have to get him to a vet hun , for all you know the leg is broken and this dog is in extreme pain :(
MalibuJennings

Post by MalibuJennings »

I have a beautiful dog who is a labrador cross that I got as a 3month old puppy, she is just about 15months now and is seeming to be a border collie mix.

I love her to pieces, but I chose to look for a labrador as that breed was likely to fit in with my lifestyle and give me the elements I was looking for.
But I think that the border collie aspect of her is not great for my lifestyle as she chews everything in the house when I leave her. I have tried crating her, using a larger canvas play pen as she was sweating in the crate, I even borrowed a friends dog that she knows well to see if the company would help, but I have been reduced to putting a soft muzzle on her while I am out.

Is it a collie trait?
I feel like its cos she is needing more attention or more excercise?
Do you thik that is the case if she is mixed with this breed?