Border Collies

Breed specific discussion of your favorite breed.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

bordercollielover

Border Collies

Post by bordercollielover »

I would love to hear about your experience,issues or just talk about your border collies purebred or mixed breed.
Attachments
I love this white stuff dad
I love this white stuff dad
P3020274.JPG (161.43 KiB) Viewed 9388 times
luvmydogs

Re: Border Collies

Post by luvmydogs »

Hello! I have a beautiful border collie named Jasmine..She is now 13..I use too do agility with her and had so much fun..She was one of the slowest border collies on her runs..but she was also the most accurate so that made up for it..She is always by my side and I love having her there...Do you do any training with yours?? I tried flyball but she didn't like it..Probably because she had to run..She is the boss of my other dogs which are a GSD and a pitbull puppy..I love my dogs and don't know what I would do without them... They make any problem easier to handle when they are cuddled up with me..Of course it doesn't give me much room on the couch but thats what I get for having big dogs.. Give your border collie a hug from me..
LexiLou

Post by LexiLou »

I have an EVIL border collie/kelpie mix. Ok, she's not that bad, she just has never ending energy. We also do agilty with her (two great breeds for it) but she's still a puppy at heart - 7 months old - and tends to get distracted a bit easily. We're working on it.

She's a beautiful little girl - kelpie body but border collie colouring. As soon as I figure out how to post a pic, I will and very smart. She's learnt to pull me along on my skateboard, and yet still knows not to pull on the lead when we're just walking. She's also a complete sook for attention and loves her belly rubs. Every day when I get home, before I even get in the gate, she's rolling over on her back, her eyes begging me to come pet her.
bordercollielover

luvmydogs wrote:Hello! I have a beautiful border collie named Jasmine..She is now 13..I use too do agility with her and had so much fun..She was one of the slowest border collies on her runs..but she was also the most accurate so that made up for it..She is always by my side and I love having her there...Do you do any training with yours?? I tried flyball but she didn't like it..Probably because she had to run..She is the boss of my other dogs which are a GSD and a pitbull puppy..I love my dogs and don't know what I would do without them... They make any problem easier to handle when they are cuddled up with me..Of course it doesn't give me much room on the couch but thats what I get for having big dogs.. Give your border collie a hug from me..
Hello well sounds like Jasmine is a good friend, well when it comes to training I do disc throw and catch in the front yard and when she brings the disc back can't throw it fast enough for her.My border's name is Trinity and she will be 3 yrs old in July so shes still young,I can not doing a lot of physical stuff with her for i am disabled but i do what i can. I have trained her from the start that shes in charge of the house,and the other 4 pets my wife and I have,she also keeps watch of my wife when she's home.The other pets we have are a 9 yr old beagle,2 birds 1 is a cockateil that is 23 yrs old a pocket parrot that is 4 yrs old and a cat that is 13 yrs old,we love our critters.Trinity is my baby thats for sure follows me sleeps with me at nap time and even when i am in the yard she has to be with me,she has her way of waking me up in the morning.She thinks shes a cat sometimes b/c shes a mouser dog, and hates anything out of place or dirt including dust bunnies under the couch. She tells us or pulls it out to say hey we need to clean under here. lol,and if bring something new in the house she don't like she bark at it and try to work it even a new trash can.
luvmydogs

Post by luvmydogs »

Trinity sounds alot like Jasmine..She follows me where ever I go..We have had a minor setback though..She had a mild stroke on sunday..She is responding to treatment but is unsteady on her feet..We are keeping our fingers crossed..Do you have any pictures of Trinity?? I wish I knew how to post pictures but I am not that good on the computer..Maybe some day I can get someone to do it for me..but until then you'll have to take my word that they are adorable.. :D
Horace's Mum

Post by Horace's Mum »

LexiLou wrote:I have an EVIL border collie/kelpie mix. Ok, she's not that bad, she just has never ending energy. We also do agilty with her (two great breeds for it) but she's still a puppy at heart - 7 months old - and tends to get distracted a bit easily. We're working on it.

She's a beautiful little girl - kelpie body but border collie colouring. As soon as I figure out how to post a pic, I will and very smart. She's learnt to pull me along on my skateboard, and yet still knows not to pull on the lead when we're just walking. She's also a complete sook for attention and loves her belly rubs. Every day when I get home, before I even get in the gate, she's rolling over on her back, her eyes begging me to come pet her.
Please be careful doing agility at such a young age. In the UK dogs are not allowed to start training until they are at least a year, other than basic obedience and directional work around jump wings and maybe poles on the ground. You can cause longterm damage working a dog over jumps, doing tight turns, contact equipment and especially the weaves before they have finished growing.
bordercollielover

luvmydogs wrote:Trinity sounds alot like Jasmine..She follows me where ever I go..We have had a minor setback though..She had a mild stroke on sunday..She is responding to treatment but is unsteady on her feet..We are keeping our fingers crossed..Do you have any pictures of Trinity?? I wish I knew how to post pictures but I am not that good on the computer..Maybe some day I can get someone to do it for me..but until then you'll have to take my word that they are adorable.. :D
I am so sorry about Jasmine and her stroke,I am glad she is responding well to her therapy hopefully she be doing better real soon.
Trinity on back of couch acting like a cat lol
Trinity on back of couch acting like a cat lol
P6020170.JPG (137.36 KiB) Viewed 9340 times
LexiLou

Post by LexiLou »

Horace's Mum wrote: Please be careful doing agility at such a young age. In the UK dogs are not allowed to start training until they are at least a year, other than basic obedience and directional work around jump wings and maybe poles on the ground. You can cause longterm damage working a dog over jumps, doing tight turns, contact equipment and especially the weaves before they have finished growing.
The club we go to for agility lets them join in from 6 months of age, but we don't do the jumps. Right now we are mostly getting her used to the obstacles, teaching her to weave around or walk through posts stuck in the ground (kinda like doggy slalem type thing). No jumps until she is older, I know and we're mostly concertrating on it as a form of mental rather than physical exercise. She's just such a smart dog and loves learning new things, so it seems great for her. Also, the age is pretty much an educated guess from the vet - Lex is a rescue - so we checked with the vet before we started and she okayed it.
Horace's Mum

Post by Horace's Mum »

Ok, good, that's puppy agility :) just wanted to check because there are still a lot of people out there who start real agility ridiculously early and risk a lot of very real and painful damage to their dogs. Have fun!
luvmydogs

Post by luvmydogs »

Trinity is beautiful...She looks very happy...BY the way what is a pocket parrot??? Do you have a picture??? I always wanted a bird but just never got around to having one..Maybe some day I will...Jasmine is feeling better ..Still unsteady on her feet..I hope that goes away soon..but until then I will be her nurse.. Paula
LexiLou

Post by LexiLou »

Figured out how to post a pic...
bordercollielover

luvmydogs wrote:Trinity is beautiful...She looks very happy...BY the way what is a pocket parrot??? Do you have a picture??? I always wanted a bird but just never got around to having one..Maybe some day I will...Jasmine is feeling better ..Still unsteady on her feet..I hope that goes away soon..but until then I will be her nurse.. Paula
A pocket parrot is exactly how it sounds it is a parrot that is normally all or mostly green and have all the characteristics of the larger amazon's parrots, but small enough to fit in a shirt pocket they are about 4-6 inches tall at best.I have to say what they lack in size they have in mouth attitude and do bite,think of a Chihuahua but in bird form.Do a web search for pocket parrots and out to find a lot of info and pics of them.I am sorry i don't have pic of her since shes all green,and tiny she don't take good pics.I would suggest either parakeet or a cockatiel for a first bird.
bordercollielover

LexiLou wrote:Figured out how to post a pic...
aww she looks like my late Heidi she was 13 when she had to be put down she was lab/border collie mix and went blind,deaf and had anal cancer.
Attachments
This was Heidi a 13 yr old lab/border collie she passed on in 2007
This was Heidi a 13 yr old lab/border collie she passed on in 2007
P3070027_027_025.JPG (214.06 KiB) Viewed 9313 times
bordercollielover

luvmydogs wrote:Trinity is beautiful...She looks very happy...BY the way what is a pocket parrot??? Do you have a picture??? I always wanted a bird but just never got around to having one..Maybe some day I will...Jasmine is feeling better ..Still unsteady on her feet..I hope that goes away soon..but until then I will be her nurse.. Paula
This is sweet pea a pocket parrot
This is sweet pea a pocket parrot
P1050005_005_004.JPG (151.47 KiB) Viewed 9312 times
Attachments
this is sunny a cockatiel
this is sunny a cockatiel
P1050004_004_003.JPG (86.22 KiB) Viewed 9312 times
luvmydogs

Post by luvmydogs »

Thanks for the pictures..I love the color..I certainly wouldn't want to start with a pocket parrot ..It always seems that the tiny ones give the most trouble..I think they have to make up for size..Do cockatiels make alot of noise ?? How much time is involved with the care?? I don't know much about birds..Thanks Paula