Calling all JRT's

Breed specific discussion of your favorite breed.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Sweetie0202

Re: Calling all JRT's

Post by Sweetie0202 »

***Melissa*** wrote:Oh yes, definitely. I actually lost weight since we got Bibi :lol:
:lol: Yes they do keep me in shape too.
Image Image
Doolally

Post by Doolally »

I've got a JRT. His dad was a Parson's and his mum a little JR so he's quite long legged.

He's such a dude, and is so easy to train although he does have the 'why should i, whats in it for me' attitude.

I never really liked terriers before, but i love them now!
***Melissa***

Post by ***Melissa*** »

They can be quite a hand full with all that energy :lol: Who was it that said "A Jack Russell is a big dog in a small dog's body"...that is spot on :wink:
There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face. ~Ben Williams
Sweetie0202

Post by Sweetie0202 »

For sure they are the big dog trap in a small body. :lol: They are great little dogs.
Image Image
goddesskris

Post by goddesskris »

i have a 5 month old jack. she has a problem with the outside. how do i get her to use the bathroom outside rather then going in my bed. if this doesnt stop im afraid my husband will make her leave.
goddesskris

Post by goddesskris »

goddesskris wrote:i have a 5 month old jack. she has a problem with the outside. how do i get her to use the bathroom outside rather then going in my bed. if this doesnt stop im afraid my husband will make her leave.
the puppy lives with 4 rats wich she doesnt chase. she will share her treats with them. i think its kinda weird. she will bark at them if thay dont come say hi to her but other then that she grooms them to. i didnt let them out with her at frist but after she started licking them in there cage i opened it one day and she just sat there and played with one of them. i always watch her with them. i never leave them alone together. im afraid she might kill them. i know thats in her nature. but she acts like she loves them.
jennyrools

Post by jennyrools »

I have one JRT named Sharpy. I rescued him in August 2009. He was a stray on our streets. After no one claimed him at the animal welfare league we went back and adopted him. They said he was about 1-1.5 years old He his well behaved in the home around us for the most part. He wants to kill our pet bird and rat. He sometimes doesn't let guests in the house. He has developed aggression on walks and tries to bite dogs. Sometimes it seems as if he is like a puppy hopping around trying to play with them. He barks non stop when another dog comes around. He gets frustrated and then tries to bite them. We have tried introducing him to other dogs but it never goes well. He never tries to smell them. He always goes for a bite after barking at them. I have not met one dog that does not try to get away from him. I think he doesn't know how to socialize but I don't know how to socialize him. Also we have discovered a weird reaction to water. I live by Lake Michigan (in the States) and whenever we are near the water he barks at it and bites at it. He hates bath time (at least at home). He barking like a crazy dog whenever my nephew takes a bath. He seems as if he thinks my nephew is in trouble. I am not sure what this is about. But we took him to the groomer a couple weeks back. They said he acted like a perfect dog. Absolutely no aggression to other dogs and did not freak out during the bath. He also whines a lot in the car and flips out when he sees a dog outside.

I am not sure how to handle these issues. If anyone has any suggestions please help.

A fun note- he howls. I can start howling and he will howl along with me. It sounds so funny because he doesn't have a deep howl like a wolf. :D
Sweetie0202

Post by Sweetie0202 »

The Jack Russell terrier also known as the Parson Russell was bred to chase the fox from out under the ground so the hunt can continue which this was started by the late John Russell who was looking for a breed to keep up with the hunt.

Jack Russell’s are devoted, loyal, and true to their breed; which is why people have a hard time training them; as they can be real stubborn when they want to; meaning if they don’t want to do something they won’t. Most times the Jack Russell will have its owner trained before the owner even knows what had happen.

Now for me I have two JRT’s which are great little dogs if raised right, by what I mean by this is that you have to be firm, but fair, and they love working for food, or a favourite toy. The Jack Russell needs someone who is going to be able to spend time with them, and if they are stimulated through mind games or at least a good run they will tend to find things to keep themselves busy for sure. They will dig hole, rip base boards off the wall, and yes will chase whatever moves like a cat, rat, bird etc; but if raised with a cat they can do okay as mine are living with a cat, but grew up with more then one, and everything has been great. They also do great with praise, and positive training methods as they love to work for food/praise.

Housing training can be easy if you keep up with it. Once they have finished drinking wait a few mins and then take them out to go pee and since its nice weather you can walk around, and once he/she has gone to the washroom praise with words or play, food whatever gets the point across that you are happy with what just happen; they love to please their owner, and once they see that they have made you happy they will keep up the good work.

Can Jack Russell’s be a handful? Sure they can if not trained or brought up with the right training, and if you use force that won’t help as they will turn on you and I have seen this happen. This is only my thoughts and what I have learned by living with them and have seen others.
Image Image
Sweetie0202

Post by Sweetie0202 »

jennyrools wrote:I have one JRT named Sharpy. I rescued him in August 2009. He was a stray on our streets. After no one claimed him at the animal welfare league we went back and adopted him. They said he was about 1-1.5 years old He his well behaved in the home around us for the most part. He wants to kill our pet bird and rat. He sometimes doesn't let guests in the house. He has developed aggression on walks and tries to bite dogs. Sometimes it seems as if he is like a puppy hopping around trying to play with them. He barks non stop when another dog comes around. He gets frustrated and then tries to bite them. We have tried introducing him to other dogs but it never goes well. He never tries to smell them. He always goes for a bite after barking at them. I have not met one dog that does not try to get away from him. I think he doesn't know how to socialize but I don't know how to socialize him. Also we have discovered a weird reaction to water. I live by Lake Michigan (in the States) and whenever we are near the water he barks at it and bites at it. He hates bath time (at least at home). He barking like a crazy dog whenever my nephew takes a bath. He seems as if he thinks my nephew is in trouble. I am not sure what this is about. But we took him to the groomer a couple weeks back. They said he acted like a perfect dog. Absolutely no aggression to other dogs and did not freak out during the bath. He also whines a lot in the car and flips out when he sees a dog outside.

I am not sure how to handle these issues. If anyone has any suggestions please help.

A fun note- he howls. I can start howling and he will howl along with me. It sounds so funny because he doesn't have a deep howl like a wolf. :D
It sounds like he has been on his own for sometime? And if he was with someone before you got him also sounds like he wasn't socialize which can make training hard. Now as for the bath time what happens when your nephew gets out of the bath with leaving the water in? Does he jump into the tub? If so that's what my dog does she will bark like mad until i get out and then she will jump in as to say well i'm waiting for my bath time. :lol: How is your body language around him? like are your tence? if so he will pick up on it and will react by barking, lashing out at other dogs.Oh the howling i bet that is cute; as i have a friend who's GSD does that as well she will howl with loud sounds like fire trucks etc; Also when your out with him is he okay off leash around other dogs? If so and he only acts out while on leash this is called leash aggression. How to go about it? Well have you ever watch Dr. Yin? She uses positive methods with dogs that have people/dog on dog aggression and within mins she has that dog sitting next to the dog it was barking at same with the people. You can find her on youtube.

Well good luck and hope things work out.
Image Image
GllntKnight

Post by GllntKnight »

I have two brother and sister. Mine are quiet in the car and in the house but outside... The ***** has no recall and is territorial and jealous of her brother she has bitten two people and he chases cars, hasn't brought one home yet lol. He won Championship at the last trial on both days. they dig holes in the yard no tricks. They are big dogs in a small body, two Jacks is a full house. I am disabled so can't do much with them. they are pretty much on their own.
The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue. ~Author Unknown

I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love. For me they are the role model for being alive. ~Gilda Radner
Sweetie0202

Post by Sweetie0202 »

My JR's are not in any kind of sport, but they are just my pets. They love to be loved and respected, they are devoted little dogs who love nothing more but to play chase and please their owners. I have two JRT's and they are great little dogs and yes sometimes they can keep me on my toes which was something i was looking for in a dog. But when at home they are the most lazy dogs i have ever seen, and even outside sometimes they can be real lazy and enjoy the nice sun shine weather. Got a love the little dogs who think are bigger than what they really are. :lol:
Image Image
GllntKnight

Post by GllntKnight »

I love my JRT's one recently won Championship at his second trial won reserve in his first and will be going to the Nationals if he keeps winning.
S1050168.JPG
S1050168.JPG (14.93 KiB) Viewed 7790 times
S1050181.JPG
S1050181.JPG (15.96 KiB) Viewed 7790 times
The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue. ~Author Unknown

I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love. For me they are the role model for being alive. ~Gilda Radner
Sweetie0202

Post by Sweetie0202 »

GllntKnight wrote:I love my JRT's one recently won Championship at his second trial won reserve in his first and will be going to the Nationals if he keeps winning.
S1050168.JPG
S1050181.JPG

Thanks for sharing your nice looking dogs.

They look to be in between rough and smooth coat?
Image Image
Sieb7D

Post by Sieb7D »

My JRT is also crazy, reactive, unpredictable, and sweet. I posted a while back in a different part of the forum and got some good advice. Sadly, I haven't seen any improvement in her erratic behavior. I'd love to get her involved in some JRT trials etc. because she would do well - as long as she was the only dog there.
tansox

Post by tansox »

I've just got a JRT X. He's almost a year, a rehome as opposed to rescue. He lives with two male rotties and they get along famously. The two big boys are always left tired while the JRT has just started the warm up!

We love him to bits, he's been here just over a week, he's 10 months old and this is his 4th home. I can see why, he never stops!!!! :lol: :lol: