Calling all JRT's

Breed specific discussion of your favorite breed.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Moobear

Re: Calling all JRT's

Post by Moobear »

I can't give you any ideas but l could definately give you lots pf praise. I have one JR and 2 Yorkie X Cairn - l would say more Yorkie than Cairn.

How have you managed to get 2 lovely terriors? :D I would love to know your daily routine for them as l am in a real fix with mine. To be honest l had GSDs before these 3 and they are a totally different character. :o I am nervous to walk mine together and not fit enough at the moment to do all 3 separately. When they start to bark the noise is like pack of screeching cats with the colume turned up. :oops: I have had some good advice on here but would love to know how a 2 X JRT owner copes with the :?: m?

Best Wishes xxx Moo and the Mutts :)
Sweetie0202

Post by Sweetie0202 »

Moobear wrote:I can't give you any ideas but l could definately give you lots pf praise. I have one JR and 2 Yorkie X Cairn - l would say more Yorkie than Cairn.

How have you managed to get 2 lovely terriors? :D I would love to know your daily routine for them as l am in a real fix with mine. To be honest l had GSDs before these 3 and they are a totally different character. :o I am nervous to walk mine together and not fit enough at the moment to do all 3 separately. When they start to bark the noise is like pack of screeching cats with the colume turned up. :oops: I have had some good advice on here but would love to know how a 2 X JRT owner copes with the :?: m?

Good question. They are mother and daughter; they not like most you would hear or see. Meaning they are very calm and relax; i guess i had something to do with that as well like i'm not a hyper person, but more of a calm one and they feed off that. I have always had big breeds like the GSD, Husky, etc; then i decided i want a real chanllage and that's when i got the one JR, but it turned out that she was really good mind you (she did have her ups and downs like ripping base boards off the wall and digging holes in the wall etc; when she was a puppy that is)so i started reading everything and anything that i could get my hands on. I even went to a training school, but by that time she was trained by me with positive methods. So i went to the training school as i wanted to become a dog trainer myself but need a dog that was untrained now that was hard to do since mine where already there with basics and trick training; so now i have a little Chi which was untrained and i took him to the training sessions to learn right from the start to the end like hands on training which was good as i not only learn a few things, but also taught me that you don't really need food as a reward, but praise and lots of it.

I have seen lots of JR's jumping,barking just going crazy, and then i come home to mind and they are calm and relaxed, but happy to see me of course which is only normal. They do chase things though like squirrals which is something i'm working on by using the word leave it as they already know this command very well. They won't pick food off the ground nor will they take food from people they know or don't know when i'm not in sight which is a good thing, but they did that on their own. JR's can be real hard to train as most will have their owner trained before you know it the dog is barking orders. :lol: I started training my dogs at 8 weeks of age; started with basics like heel, sit, stay,come, and down; then i would start with the other commands like drop it, leave it, out, and go. Then there are the tricks like i have stated in my last post.

Oh they can be real stubborn too at times; if they don't want to do it they won't. It would be nice to meet other JR owners in my area and a group meeting sort of speak, and have fun and share ideas what has or hasn't worked. Well i hope i have answered your question if not more on how i live with not one, but two JR's, and now a Chi who thinks he's the boss in the home. :lol:
Image Image
Noobs

Post by Noobs »

Horus is not a JRT, but his mum posted this video of her teaching him to jump through her arms. This is how I taught my Murphy to jump through my arms - he was able to do it reliably after three 5-minute sessions!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYUzqFJEY7U
Sweetie0202

Post by Sweetie0202 »

Noobs wrote:Horus is not a JRT, but his mum posted this video of her teaching him to jump through her arms. This is how I taught my Murphy to jump through my arms - he was able to do it reliably after three 5-minute sessions!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYUzqFJEY7U
I'm going to try this, but with a hoop, and then maybe try them to do it through my arms. Thanks for the video.
Image Image
Moobear

Post by Moobear »

Hi Sweetie & Noobs

Horus is an amazing dog - and Murphy too for learning that great trick. :lol:

I live in Northamptonshire in the UK, where about are you peeps? Congratulations on training the little ones while they were so young - Also with you being a calm person too - l am totally envious as :mrgreen: l get in a bit of panic - and don't the dogs know it. When l got Schmoo the oldest now aged 2 and a half - l already had 2 GSD's, so had a handful walking anyway. Then poor Lucy passed away not long after her 14th Birthday and a couple of months later l got Scamper the JRT aged 15 weeks,then a couple of months later got Schmoos little sister Katie, then Seiger my other GSD passed away not long after his 14th Birthday, so left with 3 unruly mutts. All my fault l know.

Recently l have been reading up everything l can on clicker training and any other positive training as before l was a big follower of Cesar Milan. I have everything except the T.Shirt of his and l am sure if l lived in the US where it was easier to get his merchandise l 'd be wearing that too. :(

Today l clicker trained for the first time and to be honest Schmoo and Scamper really liked it and got very excited. katie loved it too but seemed to find it a bit hard. Still reinforced the sit and got all 3 to watch me like VS does. :D

As with having the 3 of them and having to do it separately it wasn't easy as the other dogs knew what l was doing and woiuldn't go out just scratched and yowled at the door. My hubby said that it was a good distraction for them though.

look forward to seeing you both on here :)

Best Wishes xxx Moo and the Mutts :)
Sweetie0202

Post by Sweetie0202 »

Well i have been working on teaching go through the hoop. Well my JR's are having a hard time with it as it's new to them, but my little Chi he caught onto it right away. I'm also working on touch light; once they have learn that then i'm going to teach them to turn it off. Since they alreayd know touch it has come to be easy for them; not so easy for the little guy though. Sorry to hear about your pets that have passed away, its never easy letting them go that's for sure. I have lost pets in the past and now and then i still find myself talking about them like they were still around.But back to the JR's the love the breed, but still love my big breeds too as my boyfriend never thought that i would ever see me with small breeds. To tell you the truth i never thought that i would see myself with small breeds, but now i have three of them which all are great dogs and i wouldn't change a thing about them. They do keep me busy which is something i need, but at times they are real lazy. :lol: last year i went to Woofstock and there were a lot of people with JR's and oh my is all i can say as they were really hyper and barking like mad dogs, and then i look at mine and they are just so quite and walking nice. Clicker training is good as well i have used it for a while then i just went back to using yes then reward when done something right. I'm glad that it's working out for you and your gang.
Image Image
moment

Post by moment »

Sweetie0202 wrote:Hello everyone,

I have two wonderful JRT's. They are great dogs to own, well at least mine are. :lol: I didn't see any thread on JRT's so i thought i would start one. So i would like to learn new tricks for my girls and was wondering if anyone here has ideas. I have a list of what my girls can do so here it goes.

Speak
Add
Wave one paw, wave two paws
Walk on hind legs and wave
Crawl
Back up
Push the wash cart
Touch with nose and paws
Find remote
Bow
Roll over
Play the hurt dog
Sneeze
Low bark High bark
Forward
Turn
Peek a boo
Go to bed
Put them up

Now i'm working on jumping through my arms, but i have a bad back so i don't think it's a good idea for me. I'm always open to learning new tricks from other JRT owner's or anyone for that matter.
That is fantastic can you teach my JR to stop screaming in the car when on her way to park ha :lol:
Sweetie0202

Post by Sweetie0202 »

moment wrote:
Sweetie0202 wrote:Hello everyone,

I have two wonderful JRT's. They are great dogs to own, well at least mine are. :lol: I didn't see any thread on JRT's so i thought i would start one. So i would like to learn new tricks for my girls and was wondering if anyone here has ideas. I have a list of what my girls can do so here it goes.

Speak
Add
Wave one paw, wave two paws
Walk on hind legs and wave
Crawl
Back up
Push the wash cart
Touch with nose and paws
Find remote
Bow
Roll over
Play the hurt dog
Sneeze
Low bark High bark
Forward
Turn
Peek a boo
Go to bed
Put them up

Now i'm working on jumping through my arms, but i have a bad back so i don't think it's a good idea for me. I'm always open to learning new tricks from other JRT owner's or anyone for that matter.
That is fantastic can you teach my JR to stop screaming in the car when on her way to park ha :lol:
Sure once i can get mine more active :lol:
Image Image
Sweetie0202

Post by Sweetie0202 »

No one else has JRT's? I thought that there would be more then just a couple. I'm just wondering that's all.
Image Image
***Melissa***

Post by ***Melissa*** »

Well, I have a JRT Weenie cross. Her name is Bibi and she's almost 5 months old. She looks alot like a weenie (with slightly longer legs), but def has the energy of a JRT!!
There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face. ~Ben Williams
Lauram

Post by Lauram »

We have terriers with a bit of JRT in them.

Toby is a JRT x Norfolk- so very hairy.

Tag is JRTx Sporting Lucas, we put her with a Russel X Lakeland and got Tess and Tia, she also went with a sporting lucas x norfolk to get Treacle, she looks like an old fashioned sealyham.

We also used to breed Yorkie (proper yorkies not those mini things with bows in the hair) JRT mixes for ratting.

All the terriers go ratting, its one of their greatest pleasures in life.
***Melissa***

Post by ***Melissa*** »

Lauram wrote:All the terriers go ratting, its one of their greatest pleasures in life.
English is not my native language, and can't find it in my dictionary :oops: What is ratting? Is it perhaps hunting rats?
There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face. ~Ben Williams
Leigha

Post by Leigha »

Yes, I believe it is...
Sweetie0202

Post by Sweetie0202 »

Well i'm glad there are other's who have a JRT or at least a cross of one. Yes, JRT's were bred to chase fox, but now are use to hunt rats. I love this breed as they will always keep you on your toes, and they are always wanting to learn new things.
Image Image
***Melissa***

Post by ***Melissa*** »

Oh yes, definitely. I actually lost weight since we got Bibi :lol: