Nothing But Pitbulls

Breed specific discussion of your favorite breed.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Pitbulover

Nothing But Pitbulls

Post by Pitbulover »

I live with 10 pitbuls. I have had them for the past 10yrs. I have devoted my time to learn and love this breed. I am still learning. I use to breed and raise pits but now i have my own private rehab and rescue. We have succsessfuly rehomed many and still keep in contact weith them.I have seen to many abused and not properly cared for. Many misunderstood. I fell this is a great breed but is not right for everyone. I will be glad to share my own experiances and tips i have used. I will be happy to learn from others. Share all of my experiances.
wvvdiup1

Re: Nothing But Pitbulls

Post by wvvdiup1 »

Unfortunately, pitbulls are the least understood breed of dog, because of people's fears. Sadly, it is what man has done in his manipulation, expoitation of this breed, which have caused serious injuries and deaths, to become media newsmakers that in itself, have become misconceptions of pitbulls.

Fortunately, there are shows on television that show what the breed is really like: a good, loving, loyal family pet. Pitbulover, I commend you on your patience, time, experiences, and taking the time to learn about pitbulls. All breeds of dogs are special, and therefore, should be shown the care, respect, and love that they deserve! Keep up the good work!
"Common sense is instinct. Enough of it is genius." -author unknown
mselisabs

Post by mselisabs »

"Pit Bulls" are actually not a breed but a classification.

From akc.org:
"'Pit Bull' is defined as a dog identified or registered as an American pit bull terrier, Staffordshire bull terrier, or American Staffordshire terrier with a dog breed club or league, dog fanciers association, breed registry, or other similar organization. It is also defined as any dog that has the appearance and physical characteristics that substantially conform to the breed standards of the United Kennel Club for American pit bull terriers or the American Kennel Club for Staffordshire bull terriers or American Staffordshire terriers."

And I think most here are adamant about getting the word out and I personally think pit bulls are far less dangerous (esp to humans - seeing as they were never EVER bred to be hurtful towards humans.) Frankly, I wouldn't touch a Chow Chow that I didn't know with a 10-foot pole (as they are meant to guard their people from strangers.)
There are a lot of breeds out there that have temperates that don't work well with other dogs, it's just very sad that 'pit bulls' have been the brunt of the media.
wvvdiup1

Post by wvvdiup1 »

mselisabs,

You said "Frankly, I wouldn't touch a Chow Chow that I didn't know with a 10-foot pole (as they are meant to guard their people from strangers.)" is saying and doing the same thing to Chow Chows as a lot of people have about any dog classified as Pitbulls. First of all, you don't just walk up and expect any dog to be friendly, because you have to let the dog get to know you first and then decide if it will let you pet it or not. Akitas are another breed of dog that guards its owners, but once they get to know you, they are an easy-going dog. Your best bet is when you see a dog with its owner, say "Hello" to the dog without staring at it and keeping a distance that you will be safe and yet the dog can get to know you by smelling you unless the owner warns you that their dog will bite.

A case in point: most of the time when I'm walking my Akita, Karma, and someone comes up to me, Karma is usually a happy, easy-going dog, meaning she will allow that person to pet her. However, if it is someone I don't know, I can tell from Karma's body language if and when she's going to bite, I'll warn them as I'm trying to control her. The trick is for the person coming up to me is to be alert at the same time calm (showing no fear).
"Common sense is instinct. Enough of it is genius." -author unknown
-Pibbles82-

Post by -Pibbles82- »

I have a APBT that i rescued from a shelter a week earlier than expected because she was going to be "put down". She has been a blessing to me and my better half. Although we almost didn't get the chance to meet her seeing as how the person that caught her (she was a stray they used a cage) told the shelter that she like other "Pits" was vicious and should be "put down". Upon opening the cage to examine her she rolled on her back and immediately wanted her belly rubbed. Akasha has scarring on her face chest and chest that's characteristic of being attacked by dogs. She's a sweet and loving dog. As of right now (due to financial circumstances and relocation) we are living with my parents until we can get our feet on the ground. My parents have a beagle by the name of Charlie who's seriously headstrong and incredibly intelligent. We were worried she would be fearful of him or even might attack him so we took our socializing them slow. First through a screen door then through having them both on leashes until they were comfy with each other. In doing things this way they were allowed the proper space and such to get used to one an other and are now great friends.

Unfortunately, like with most ABPT's or other bully breeds they have a bad rap. Even when walking her out of the shelter that day people were flinching and were backing away from her simply because she was a "Pitbull". They even went as far to ask us if we were sure we wanted her and if we were afraid of her attacking us stating that "they're vicious animals". I have been around bully breeds, chow chows, pinchers, and many other "vicious" breeds most of my life and not had one incident of aggression toward me or my family. Most people don't realize that yes of course there are some dogs that do have certain things wrong with them, due to breeding or such, but as a whole it's not only a certain breed. Like children they have to be raised with respect and proper teachings to make them into the wonderful family members we know and love.

That's enough ranting for now. lol

Melissa
I <3 My Pitbull
Dixies momma

Post by Dixies momma »

hello i am new to the forum and noticed this post. i have a year old pit named jersey and a 2 month old purple ribbon pit named dixie. also have a 2 yr old boxer named jake. and i have known people who have pits and all of them are sweet and fun loving. what gets me is how the bigger breed esp pits gets a bad rep for attacks, biting. and in most cases its usually a case of owners mistreating them and fighting them etc. BUT why is it that small breeds doesnt get put in the media for attacks and bites? when i was a teen we had a chiuaua(sp?) and she was feisty as can be and did not like strangers and would attack if she thought one of the family was going to be hurt. she actually bite a friend of my step dads and drew blood. i have also seen pomeranians be vicious too...so what gives? just wanted to point that out.
Jake n Dixies momma
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Hi, what is a purple ribbon pit? I like to learn new things :)
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
Dixies momma

Post by Dixies momma »

i think its a breed term for papers. i am still learning that. her mom is a chocolate pit and daddy is chocolate brindle pit.. if i can figure how to post a pic i could show u.
Jake n Dixies momma
luvmydogs

Post by luvmydogs »

Hello! I have a confession..I have a puppy that is 95% pit..She is a great dog and very friendly since I take her to all the stores that she is allowed..but my confession is that when someone asks me what breed she is I tell them that she is a mongrel.. The reason is when I first starting taking her out people would of course want to pet her which she loves but as she got a little bit bigger and I told them she was a pitbull they would back off..Not everyone would but enough to make me think about telling them what breed she is..I am no stranger to breed discrimination as I have had a doberman and I have a GSD..but for some reason when it is a pitbull it is a different reaction...So tell me how do I get over this..I need to hear some stories as what has worked..I have been teaching her tricks and to break the ice she will give them a high 5..She also rolls over and crawls...Pretty good for a 5month old..I never realized how smart this breed is and I have a border collie to compare that with..So help me...Thanks
Dixies momma

Post by Dixies momma »

i don't know about anyone else but i will fully admit to whoever that i have a pit. its a shame that most people who back off are so uneducated of what good things pits can do. i guess its up to us to try and teach those who are willing to listen and learn. if they continue to be close minded about the topic then don't keep your pit or any other dog around that person because all dogs do pick up on any emotion. positive and negative energy. since she is learning tricks, that would be the ice breaker to showing people that they aren't as bad as they think.
Jake n Dixies momma
Dixies momma

Post by Dixies momma »

this is dixie, my chocolate pit at 6 weeks. i have to get some currents pix made soon.

Jake n Dixies momma
swany23

Post by swany23 »

:?: : i have a naber how has a pitbull we mite be takeing him in to our house but he needs to be retrain for all behav and leash we mite just send him to a no kill shelt mabe you can help me would presheate it very much

my number of my phone and whare i live

*edited to remove address and phone number from public forum*

Swany23 if someone wants to PM (private message) you and you want to pass on your contact details that way, that is up to you (though possibly not adviseable) but posting those details on a forum anyone can see is not safe which is why I have deleted them.
mselisabs

Post by mselisabs »

wvvdiup1 wrote:mselisabs,

You said "Frankly, I wouldn't touch a Chow Chow that I didn't know with a 10-foot pole (as they are meant to guard their people from strangers.)" is saying and doing the same thing to Chow Chows as a lot of people have about any dog classified as Pitbulls. First of all, you don't just walk up and expect any dog to be friendly, because you have to let the dog get to know you first and then decide if it will let you pet it or not. Akitas are another breed of dog that guards its owners, but once they get to know you, they are an easy-going dog. Your best bet is when you see a dog with its owner, say "Hello" to the dog without staring at it and keeping a distance that you will be safe and yet the dog can get to know you by smelling you unless the owner warns you that their dog will bite.

A case in point: most of the time when I'm walking my Akita, Karma, and someone comes up to me, Karma is usually a happy, easy-going dog, meaning she will allow that person to pet her. However, if it is someone I don't know, I can tell from Karma's body language if and when she's going to bite, I'll warn them as I'm trying to control her. The trick is for the person coming up to me is to be alert at the same time calm (showing no fear).
Good point. I suppose it would be more appropriate to say: I wouldn't touch *any* dog I didn't know with a 10-foot pole without the owners permission :)
Doolally

Post by Doolally »

What's the general public's view on pitbulls in the states? Do you get the wrong sort of people owning them as 'status' dogs much?

I live in the UK and as you are probably aware, pitbull terriers are on the 'banned' dogs list. Anyone who owns one must be on a register, the dog much be chipped and neutered, it must always wear a muzzle in public and can never change hands.

That said, I work at a vets and we do a lot of work for the RSPCA, there's a hell of a lot of dogs that are seized in cruelty cases that are pitbulls, inevitably there are very loving dogs and we don't really have any problems treating them. Unfortunately they are seen as a status dog, and teenage boys/gangs have them to look hard/protect them. 10 or so years ago it was rottweilers and dobermans, but now its pitbulls. Considering they're supposed to be a banned breed, the number of pitbulls we do see is a joke, either pure bred or cross breeds.

Unfortunately any dogs that are seized in cruelty cases then have to be put to sleep once the cases has been to court at they are banned dogs and aren't allowed to be rehomed, regardless of how nice they are.

People are trying to push for 'deed not breed' so that dogs don't get blacklisted just for being a certain type, as banning certain types obviously doesn't work and I think it gives them a certain kudos and makes the wrong sort of people want them even more.
josie1918

Post by josie1918 »

I will probably get my rear end in trouble for this, but I also work as a veterinary professional here in the states. To me, yes, it does seem that it is about 75% the WRONG people owning them for the WRONG reasons. Personally, I like them with people, but I do not trust them around other dogs. I don't let my dachshunds around cats because they were bred to kill small, furry, running things. But there is a segment of our population that through their own insecurity and low selfesteem believe it makes them "king s***t of the t**d mountain" to see their dogs attack and kill another dog. If we could fix society, we more than likely would not have the 2 and 1/2 million dogs being euthanized EVERY year here in the states. Just my opinion.