Corgis!

Breed specific discussion of your favorite breed.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

kyteach74

Corgis!

Post by kyteach74 »

I own two Pembroke Welsh Corgis and just thought I would share about what great dogs they are.

Originally bred as herding dogs, they're smart and have quirky personalities. They're also quite chatty - they love to talk, and not simply barking, they make tons of different noises and love to have a talk after a long day.

They do shed like nobody's business, but it's the trade we make to have their sparkling personalities. We should own stock in lint and hair removers.

Corgis, in my experience, are incredible with children - I've heard of them nipping ankles as they try to herd them, but have never experienced this. When we visit my cousin who has three young children, both of mine will race around them and try to herd them, but never touch them.

Corgis are very human-like in their sleeping needs. They need pillows for their heads for some reason and they will make a pillow out of anything, they will scrunch up a blanket, lay on a toy, use your leg/foot/head/stomach, or lay on the floor and put their head on their bed.

They're quite easy to train and seem to pick up on things very quickly, but they can be stubborn and can often backtalk. They'll do what you want them to, but they LOVE to get in the last word.

They don't eat much, but can be overweight if you're not careful. It's best to keep them slim, due to their long backs.

Overall, they're great additions and loving companions!
Cheetah

Re: Corgis!

Post by Cheetah »

I love corgis too! I own a fluffy pembroke, Shippo, and agree with all of the above. Shippo loves to lay his head on pillows, but he also enjoys being "the creature underneath the furniture" LOL. He'll lie under any kind of furniture I'm sitting on, and sometimes I won't even know he's there until I get up, and he randomly emerges from under the bed to follow me. XD

He's never had a nipping problem, but as far as I know, it could be an individual thing, or come down to training, or maybe both.
Eevee, 10-year-old Border Collie mix - My Heart Dog!
Ravinel Fox Magick, CGC (Shippo), 4-year-old Pembroke Welsh Corgi
josie1918

Post by josie1918 »

Just an idea of what works for me and my german shedder ooops I mean shepherd. I use a leather chamois, like for a car, put it in clear water, and wring it out as dry as you can get it, then wipe it over your couch, clothes or whatever it is that is covered in hair. Works great and saves me a ton over the sticky rollers etc. I have had my chamois for over a year and it still looks like new yet Eco friendly :lol:
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Good tip, thanks josie :D lol at german shedder :lol:
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
mselisabs

Post by mselisabs »