Question about Lara?

Breed specific discussion of your favorite breed.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

ZaraD

Question about Lara?

Post by ZaraD »

My cousins delema about the health of the Bernese has made me think about Lara, obviously Lara is pretty healthy apart from her kidney issues she is otherwise healthy. And it made me think about the German shepherd in general, what are your thoughts on if the GSD is in the same league as a Bernese very unhealthy? Like I say Lara is healthy I'm talking more about the GSD as a breed? ( Also if we ingnore the back leg problems and just focus on health)

Are GSD a very unhealthy breed too or are they slightly healthier compared to a Bernese?

I know all pedigree dogs will have there issues but I'm just interested to see if the GSD is as unhealthy as the Bernese or slightly healthier. ( Lara by the way is a duel purpose GSD she half worker and half show type)

You see I could have another GSD as most I have met are like Lara ( duel purpose and long coats) were most giant schnauzers I have met which is a lot are nothing like Sampson they often say that Sampson is one of those one in a million dogs who's the exception of his breed :lol: , and from being around a lot of giants I don't think I could own a true giant schnauzer but I could own another GSD. So this is why I was interested in asking. I did ask this through PM to Nettle but she said it would be best to ask on the forum. But am unsure if I'll get any awnsers :?
ZaraD

Re: Question about Lara?

Post by ZaraD »

I found this on a GSD rescue that says there a fairly healthy breed https://www.germanshepherdrescue.co.uk/ ... i-149.html

Obviously they have some issues like all pedigree breed but according to this they are fairly healthy which makes me think the awnser is that they are healthier as a breed compared to a Bernese?
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Comparisons are not really useful as it's all about the degree of illness each individual owner is prepared to manage. What some see as perfectly tolerable would be a deal-breaker for others.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
Lotsaquestions

Post by Lotsaquestions »

I don't think you should get so caught up in the health of the breed as a whole. They are animals, and animals, like us, break sometimes. Of course some breeds are prone to more health issues than others, but the health of the line of dogs you are getting a dog from is more important. Remember all these stats will include poorly bred dogs, inbreeding, puppy farms, etc:

For example the 'average lifespan' of a Yorkie is 13-16 years old. My parent's Yorkie is 17 going on 18 and still chasing me down for chicken. I've seen other Yorkies act like old men at 8. Also Yorkies are a really unhealthy breed because of how popular they became. My parent's Yorkie had hip dysplasia on one side, but has never suffered from any of the other breed related issues. And her hip issues could have resulted from a senile Lurcher standing on her a couple of times when her bones were soft. :roll:

Their other Yorkie who sadly passed last yeat was 16. Never had any issues with health throughout her life except some food allergies. She was still agility capable in her jumping until the mystery illness got her. However she was the one that cost the most in vet bills - why? She ran into the road as a naughty teenager and got hit by a car. :(

You can't always predict life.