Let's talk sighthounds

Breed specific discussion of your favorite breed.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

JudyN

Re: Let's talk sighthounds

Post by JudyN »

No, it's not the end of the world if a dog has to be kept on lead but in my opinion, it's far from ideal - at least for a lot of dogs. When J was younger if he had to stay on lead because of neutering or an injury, he'd be a nightmare within a few days, and that's not uncommon.

But it's true you have to balance the effect of them being on lead all the time with the risks to themselves and other animals when you let them off lead of course. I don't aim for 100% safety - when you have children you gradually give them more freedom even though you know there's a chance that something could go horribly wrong at ther first all-night party, when they first learn to drive, when they get drunk and decide to dive into the sea off the pier. The balance is different for different dogs so if I'm walking with someone else there may be points where I put J on lead and they leave theirs off, and points where I decide I can let J off lead and they need to put theirs on.

But yes - as you say we're dealing with general tendencies, coupled with the ability to run fast and (in some sighthounds) far, so as always, it's about responding to the dog in front of you.
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

My understanding is that it's because a deer is work - or rather vocation - and far too important to go around behaving like a twerp. If on lead he will stand still, every nerve ending thrumming. I wait him out in the hope the deer will move away and eventually, when J moves, it's a little like walking a highly unstable atom bomb but we make gradual progress and eventually, he will return to 'normal' and I'll praise him for calming down.

Perfection. Utter perfection. Couldn't have put it better.

Good idea to go on some sighthound-special walks to get a feel for the beasts.
The big difference with sighthounds is that all dogs want to, but sighthounds can. And they "can" with ruthless efficiency, very quickly, with surgical precision, while the hapless owner is still inhaling to call them back.

Shalista, how I agree! Terrier prey drive is a shock to "normal" dog owners too :lol:
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

I ws also thinking this morning that training is a bit like sculpture. A lump of marble and a lump of clay can both be sculpted into something beautiful, but if you try to use a chisel on soft clay or mould marble with your hands, you're not going to get great results :wink:
Lotsaquestions

Post by Lotsaquestions »

Leads aren't always that effective anyway. The ex coursing greyhound was on a lead. Managed to nab a pidgeon. I mean, all credit to her working ability, the bird didn't suffer...
Shalista

Post by Shalista »

Nettle wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:41 am Shalista, how I agree! Terrier prey drive is a shock to "normal" dog owners too :lol:
Around Bax's third lap around the barn chasing a terrified chicken and ignoring my attempts to recall him I realized life somewhere had taken a turn I hadn't quite anticipated.
Baxter (AKA Bax, Chuckles, Chuckster) Rat Terrier, born 01/16/13
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Lol, Shalista! :lol:

I ws also thinking this morning that training is a bit like sculpture. A lump of marble and a lump of clay can both be sculpted into something beautiful, but if you try to use a chisel on soft clay or mould marble with your hands, you're not going to get great results :wink:

Beautiful. May I quote you to my clients?
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
ZaraD

Post by ZaraD »

JudyN wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:00 am I ws also thinking this morning that training is a bit like sculpture. A lump of marble and a lump of clay can both be sculpted into something beautiful, but if you try to use a chisel on soft clay or mould marble with your hands, you're not going to get great results :wink:
Yes like nettle says beautiful , and proberly one of the best ways of read to describe training in general.
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Yes of course you can, Nettle :D

I do seem to have a thing for analogies - I was thinking the other day that when petting certain dogs (mentioning no names, Jasper :wink: ) that it's like a man putting a friendly arm round the shoulder of a female acquaintance who is quite happy with the attention... and then he lets his hand drop a bit lower... and fondles her a little... and lower.... and then wonders why he got a sudden slap in the face. We generally know where the tipping point is with a member of the same species but it's a lot less obvious with dogs.