Labradors and strangers ?

Breed specific discussion of your favorite breed.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

ZaraD

Labradors and strangers ?

Post by ZaraD »

Ok so I thought it would be better to start a new thread, since this is not about hounds anymore.

So I'm helping a woman choose the right dog for her ( my original post is in breed questions Titled hounds) she has decided that hounds are now not for her and lotsaqestions recommend the Labrador which I did too for her with what she wanted since then she has said she would be happy with a Labrador as they suit her in everyway except one and that's , that labs are very social and she's not the only reason this is a problem is that labs being social they always want to say hi to every stranger and not being very social herself she doesn't want loads of people wanting to talk.

So lotsaqestions said the following which I 100% agree with ( there's a reason I'm saying all this)

"In my experience people will want to talk to you more if your dog is unusual, rather than usual. I get loads of people going 'awwww' or 'omg that is a German Spitz' (one time from a window cleaner, was quite the shock. Gruff man swooning over this little fluffy dog who was trying to steal his sponge. :lol: ), and Merlin tolerates people... barely. He has no interest in them unless they a) have a dog and b) have their dogs food in their pockets. I would think a Lab would just get people thinking 'oh another Lab.'

As for training a dog not to go up to people, of course you can. Same way I've trained Merlin not to bolt off to every single dog he sees. Good recall, alternative behaviours, games, and lots of treats!"

So the woman I'm helping said that if this is true that you can train a Labrador to not go up to every stranger than she would definitely get one.

So can you train a lab to not say hi to every stranger?

And is it true that people are more likely to say hi to rare breeds like what lotsaqestions said ( this has been my own experience too) than more common breeds like labs? As she was worried people would pester her if she got a lab with them being associated with being guide dogs and the UK number 1 breed.
JudyN

Re: Labradors and strangers ?

Post by JudyN »

I'm not sure she needs to worry too much about strangers. I meet plenty of dog walkers who are chatty, and plenty who are less so. Typically I'll say 'good morning' and they'll say 'good morning' and walk on, maybe calling their dog if it's come to say hello to me. If I say something like 'What a gorgeous dog! What breed is he?' they might reply 'Thank you - he's a whatchamacallit' and carry on walking. It's not hard to get the message across that you don't want to chat, without being rude or cold.

One thing she should probably never do is let anyone she meets on a walk give the dog a treat. If they give a treat without asking then she's quite entitled to be rude and even mention how her dog is allergic to just about everything...
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009