Hounds?

Breed specific discussion of your favorite breed.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

ZaraD

Re: Hounds?

Post by ZaraD »

Lotsaquestions wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:27 am Given she wants an active houndy looking dog that is easy going and friendly, I would say Labrador. There is a reason they are really popular!

Lurchers can be good 'take anywhere' dogs too, though since they are basically x breeds you never really know what you'll get. Get a Collie x Whippet and you'll have a beautiful, active, possibly trainable, speedy dog. Highly recommend Collie x Lurchers!

Silken Windhounds are gorgeous and I totally love them to death. If Merlin didn't get frustrated with dogs that can run that much quicker than him I would have been looking for a breeder already. I think they err on the whippet side rather than the (disputed) Sheltie side for temperament though.
I told her about the silken but she said there just too thin in appreance for her, we must think alike as my first thought was Labrador as there active, easy going dog who you can take anywhere, an not overly vocal so to keep her neighbour happy.

But then she said to me but labs like everyone and I don't want people to keep coming up to me asking me about my dog just because it's a Labrador as I am not overly sociable.

Correct me if I'm wrong but you can train your dog (even a lab) to not go up to everyone? I'm sure I read on here somewhere it's possible to train a friendly dog to not go up to everyone and to instead stay by your side.

Also I'm sure I read that females are less likely to want to say hello to every Sternberg than males and females are more independent?
Lotsaquestions

Post by Lotsaquestions »

Removed
Last edited by Lotsaquestions on Fri Aug 14, 2020 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ZaraD

Post by ZaraD »

Lotsaquestions wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:43 am In my experience people will want to talk to you more if your dog is unusual, rather than usual. I get loads of people going 'awwww' or 'omg that is a German Spitz' (one time from a window cleaner, was quite the shock. Gruff man swooning over this little fluffy dog who was trying to steal his sponge. :lol: ), and Merlin tolerates people... barely. He has no interest in them unless they a) have a dog and b) have their dogs food in their pockets. I would think a Lab would just get people thinking 'oh another Lab.'

As for training a dog not to go up to people, of course you can. Same way I've trained Merlin not to bolt off to every single dog he sees. Good recall, alternative behaviours, games, and lots of treats!
I wanted to ask that to see if you have the same experience with Merlin as I do with Sampson, I often get people asking about Sampson some get excited to see a giant schnauzer as there not common and so you don't always get to see them, and others ask if he's part Irish wolfhound :lol:

Were poor Lara gets annoyed because everyone ignores her and is only interested in Sampson, I don't know if it's because people are scared to say hi with GSD associated with being police dogs or if it's like you said with the lab "oh it's just another GSD"

I was surprised a few weeks back to see a giant schnauzer in Corrie and since then people keep asking if this is the same breed that was in Corrie.

I think she was worried people would come up to her more with a lab because of there association with being guide dogs and being the UK No1 breed.
Shalista

Post by Shalista »

I also think people come up to dogs that obviously WANT to be come up to. i actually let bax pull a little to say hi to people just as the invitation to get more people to come over and pet him. he so enthusiastically wants to say hi people feel welcomed to say hi back. ive met half my street that way :P
Baxter (AKA Bax, Chuckles, Chuckster) Rat Terrier, born 01/16/13
ZaraD

Post by ZaraD »

I think I'll start a new thread to focus on the lab question.