I think iv found the one!!

Breed specific discussion of your favorite breed.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

ZaraD

I think iv found the one!!

Post by ZaraD »

Ok so Sampson met a Beagle for the first time over the weekend and iv never seen him play as excited or as happy with another dog like he did with the Beagle , he was full of life and happiness :D , and the best part is this was a male beagle the first male he's not wanted to kill :D , as he hates other male dogs. As I'm a firm believer in listening to your dog I thought maybe I should see if he's the same around other Beagles , so I spoke to a woman from the Beagle club and she invited me round and I took sampson ( this was yesterday) and she allowed Sampson to meet one dog at a time and not one male he ever became aggressive to, he was happy to play with all 6 of her Beagles , and he played excatly the same full of life and excitement, not sure what it is about the Beagles that makes them special to Sampson but he loved being around them and when we went back inside he just lyed with them as if there part of our family :shock: :D , I learned there happy go lucky dogs and are more like a Labrador in temperament but she said if I did get one to get a girl.

I asked about barking and she said there not as vocal as people believe , she said a group of beagles yes they will be vocal , a beagle paired with another vocal breed like mini schnauzers then yes a beagle can be vocal , she said beagles tend to copy the older dog in the house for example when I got my first beagle I already had a golden retriever so the Beagle copied the golden and he was the only beagle I had who had good recall and who liked to retrieve. But whether your beagle will be vocal will all depend on if you let her as you can train them to be quiet on command, and how cacao your current dogs is, I told her Sampson is a pretty quiet dog he only barks if he hears or sees someone\something. So she said I should be fine? Do you agree?

I also Just wanted to see what everyones experience of them are?
Shalista

Re: I think iv found the one!!

Post by Shalista »

All i've heard of them is that they're great friendly dogs and that they're bottomless pits :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Baxter (AKA Bax, Chuckles, Chuckster) Rat Terrier, born 01/16/13
Lotsaquestions

Post by Lotsaquestions »

Lovely dogs - prone to breaking recall. I've met quite a few since they became a really popular family pet a few years back. Merlin meets one regularly every morning, but he's stuck on a lead as he dissapears and won't come back. He's a howler too, you can always hear him coming. :lol:

He howls because he's frustrated by the lead, he's quiet all the other times. He looks forward to meeting Merlin every morning and Merlin is likewise, beautiful dog.
ZaraD

Post by ZaraD »

thanks for the Advice , iv got a few friends in the Giant schnauzer world and they all tell me to stick to what i know and get a female Giant , which would be easier for me. but i know on here you said that tow headstrong dogs are not a great match. what do you think of a Female Giant schnauzer?

thought i should ask as hes never met a female hes never liked :wink: :lol: . and he seems to know the Giants as he acts differently around them (mind you its only the girls hes been around as he hates the males)
Lotsaquestions

Post by Lotsaquestions »

Well my experience with headstrong dogs has been two bitches, which I think anyone will tell you is a recipe for disaster. I can't say if a male / female partnership between them would be easier. I personally wouldn't like it but then again I'm not really a fan of headstrong dogs anyway. I much prefer the happy go lucky crazy ones that want to play with anything and everything. I've had my fill of terriers for a lifetime :lol:

Having said that my parents now have two dogs left, a male Chihuahua x Papillon and a female Yorkie. If the Chi x was headstrong it would be murder in their house without a doubt as the Yorkie runs the house like a military drill sergent. Luckily he's the happy go luck type who is only interested in fun and games, and is quick to get out of dodge if the Yorkie gives him the stink eye.

The house from where I got Merlin had, obviously, two 'Merlin type' dogs in it. But even there Tilly, his mum, was in charge. His dad was only interested in being a buffoon and playing with his toys so if she told him to get away from a puppy he did. Frankly she should have told him more, he stepped on his puppies constantly. :lol:
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

I wonder to what extent 'headstrong' is more a matter of training? I like that Jasper has his own opinions, and I feel that the compliance he usually shows is down to teaching him that doing what I want him to do is really in his interests. It's easy to let your dog develop oppositional defiance disorder by repeatedly asking them to do something they don't want to do.

I'm just wondering, really, as I've not got experience of other breeds.

Generally when I meet a beagle, there's no owner in sight, but I can hear a very distant voice calling 'Bobby! Bobby! Bobby! Bobby! Come Bobby!' as the beagle trots past in the opposite direction :lol:
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
ZaraD

Post by ZaraD »

JudyN wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:31 am I wonder to what extent 'headstrong' is more a matter of training? I like that Jasper has his own opinions, and I feel that the compliance he usually shows is down to teaching him that doing what I want him to do is really in his interests. It's easy to let your dog develop oppositional defiance disorder by repeatedly asking them to do something they don't want to do.

I'm just wondering, really, as I've not got experience of other breeds.

Generally when I meet a beagle, there's no owner in sight, but I can hear a very distant voice calling 'Bobby! Bobby! Bobby! Bobby! Come Bobby!' as the beagle trots past in the opposite direction :lol:
Year, I'm wondering if it's ok to have tow challengeing breeds is there male\female combination, as I know loads of giant owners who own challengeing breeds together but always male\female combination like one has a female bull mastiff and a male giant schnauzer.

Sampson is a soppy idiot around any females whether it's a golden or a rottweiler he is a gentleman around all female dog :wink: . So maybe as long as I choose female I should be fine?
Lotsaquestions

Post by Lotsaquestions »

JudyN wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:31 am Generally when I meet a beagle, there's no owner in sight, but I can hear a very distant voice calling 'Bobby! Bobby! Bobby! Bobby! Come Bobby!' as the beagle trots past in the opposite direction :lol:
:lol: So true! The owners go through their repertoire of 'come here you little S***' commands whilst smiling through gritted teeth.

My fav one was a Beagle called Milo. The entire family (two kids included) were shouting 'Milo! Milo! Come! Whats this! Whats this Milo! OMG look what I have Milo!' and Milo was just like 'Nah, I wanna play with this fluffy ginger dog thanks.' Then after the play was over he trotted back to his frantic owners in his own time, stopping to sniff on his way, and got his treat. :lol:
Shalista

Post by Shalista »

I feel liek after the dog ignores you the first time you should stop letting them off leash :? but i say that as the proud owner of a dog that, god willing, will never go off leash again for the rest of his life.
Suzette

Post by Suzette »

I think beagles are great dogs, but they do have a natural hound scent that you will never wash away, even if you try. For some, this is a deal breaker. The one's I have known are fairly vocal with more of a bay than a bark. Again, not a big deal if you are okay with that. Walking them can be a test of your patience if you want to actually walk - lol. They love to stop and sniff - constantly.

I have known a few beagles in my time and they are sweet, wonderful dogs. They wouldn't be for me to own, but the ones I have known I have truly loved as long as they were someone else's pet. :D
My avatar is Piper, my sweet Pembroke Corgi. b. 5/11/11
ZaraD

Post by ZaraD »

Iv decided a beagle is not for me but I made friends with the owner of the one we met at the weekend so we're going to make doggy playdates for them both :D .

I'm wondering about the challenging breeds thing , were the Giant schnauzer friends I have said to go for a female Giant as male \female is fine in challenging breeds?

Sampson is always a gentleman with the ladies :wink: , anyone know if tow challenging breeds are fine as long as there male\female combination?
Shalista

Post by Shalista »

Well i do think any breed has its 'challenges". I'm a little unclear on what you mean by a "challenging" breed.

Foe example i was told rat terriers were easy as pie and look where i ended up......

take the dog as an individual. if he likes female giant schnauzers why not get him one? I mean if GS had some neurotic obnoxious trait that you just couldn't take 2 of in the same house then obv pass it by but it doesn't sound like thats the case....... let him tell you what he wants.
ZaraD

Post by ZaraD »

What I mean is that a giant schnauzer might be classed Asda more challenging breed due to its guarding history and so they have a stronger temperament than say a Labrador.

I think sampson would be happy aslong as the second dog is a girl as he's never found a female he didn't like as he goes all soppy :lol:

It's just iv read on here that you should not have to strong breeds together and that picking a more happy go lucky breed would be betters but I do think I would be happier to stick to what I know.

I'm just asking if it can work between tow strong temperament dogs if is a female\male combination?
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

As you've asked my opinion by PM - I think you should have a year of just Sampson before you get a second dog. This will allow Sampson to settle in your home and reveal all his nature - you are still learning at the moment - and you will have plenty of time to research other breeds. Breeders are of course - and rightly - biased towards their own dogs, and what is no problem to one is unbearable to another. You need to see dogs in pet homes to get a better idea of their challenges - and they all have them. The trick is to find challenges you don't mind managing.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
ZaraD

Post by ZaraD »

Thank you nettle , I'm not thinking of adding another one until at least tow years from now as like you say I'm still learning, but if I did feel that a female Giant would be right for him and me can it work with them both being strong temperament dogs (is there guarding background)?