What she loves about them

Breed specific discussion of your favorite breed.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Lotsaquestions

Re: What she loves about them

Post by Lotsaquestions »

Lapphunds are smart so you can train them not to bark, but it isn't a guarentee they won't. I have a Spitz who in the house is fairly quiet, outside though he'll bark his way down the street just for kicks. He'll also bark at everything he thinks I need to see, even if its just a plastic bag. If you keep them tired and content they will find less and less need to bark.

Eurasiers are a new breed, I don't think they are massively rare in the UK. Eurasiers are Samoyed x GSD x Keeshund x Chow Chow as far as I know. Bred to be biddable, happy, friendly yet reserved around strangers, and have low prey drive. Basically they were bred to be the ultimate Spitz type companion dog.
ZaraD

Post by ZaraD »

Lotsaquestions wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:59 am Lapphunds are smart so you can train them not to bark, but it isn't a guarentee they won't. I have a Spitz who in the house is fairly quiet, outside though he'll bark his way down the street just for kicks. He'll also bark at everything he thinks I need to see, even if its just a plastic bag. If you keep them tired and content they will find less and less need to bark.

Eurasiers are a new breed, I don't think they are massively rare in the UK. Eurasiers are Samoyed x GSD x Keeshund x Chow Chow as far as I know. Bred to be biddable, happy, friendly yet reserved around strangers, and have low prey drive. Basically they were bred to be the ultimate Spitz type companion dog.
So Eurasier bark less? We've just read this. http://www.eurasiersociety.org.uk/eurasier_breed.html and she likes everything she's read and likes there's GSD and samoyed in there blood as she loves Samoyeds as they herded reindeer and she has a passion for reindeers and gose to Lapland ( forgot excatly were she said) twicey year just to see the reindeer but Samoyeds bark to much. So the Eurasier is like the best of both worlds. Do you know if there rare?
ZaraD

Post by ZaraD »

Just realized you already answered the rare question :lol:
Lotsaquestions

Post by Lotsaquestions »

They supposedly bark only when they need to, but only an owner of them can really give you that answer. :lol: I would consider one myself but they are just too big for Merlin, concerned he'd get pushed around.

Incidently Finnish Lapphunds were reindeer herders too! Its the reason they bark - so the farmers know they're not wolves and the reindeer don't panic.
ZaraD

Post by ZaraD »

Lotsaquestions wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:16 am They supposedly bark only when they need to, but only an owner of them can really give you that answer. :lol: I would consider one myself but they are just too big for Merlin, concerned he'd get pushed around.

Incidently Finnish Lapphunds were reindeer herders too! Its the reason they bark - so the farmers know they're not wolves and the reindeer don't panic.
Yep that's why the lapphund has gone of the list. Were going to email a few breeders to ask about the barking so shall let you know what they say. :D
Lotsaquestions

Post by Lotsaquestions »

You might also need to consider that lots of Spitz owners could answer 'oh no he doesn't bark much' but they tend to say that in relation to Spitz dogs they've owned. I know a Japanese Spitz owner who talks about how quiet her dog is... Thats only because she's always had Samoyeds. :lol:

Ask what other dogs they've owned to compare it to. If they've had none Spitz dogs they might be better prepared to properly compare.
ZaraD

Post by ZaraD »

Ok Eurasier breeders are quick at getting back we have only had one reply so far and this is what she said.

"Hi Kera,

Thanks for your email.

I am glad to see your doing research before buying one.

Eurasiers are bred to be companion dogs, their job is to be your fluffy shadow and as long as they are happy in their environment, they will want to please you!

They don’t need hours and hours of walking all day, but they do need human companionship! The main downside is that if you plan on leaving a dog for longer than 2/3 hours per day then a Eurasier isn’t for you as they become, bored, depressed, destructive and training goes out of the window as they LOVE there owners so wanting a close bond with your dog is a must!

Yes they bark, but only if they have something to bark at, such as someone coming to the front door. Personally that’s what I want and expect from a dog but that just my opinion, They don’t bark for no reason unless they are bored and want attention but given enough mental stimulation, exercise and lots of love then they won't become happy dogs.

Eurasiers are great first dogs as long as you are committed enough to take them training and can provide them with a loving home!

Hope this helped, feel free to contact me if you have any more questions!

King Regards
Clair King"

So a good reply and so far seems to be that they don't bark for nothing it's more barking in the house she doesn't want , barking outside is not as much an issue.
ZaraD

Post by ZaraD »

By the way Kera is my friend , she used her email :D
Lotsaquestions

Post by Lotsaquestions »

They sound lovely, maybe Merlin wouldn't mind a big sister... :roll:
ZaraD

Post by ZaraD »

Lotsaquestions wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:11 am They sound lovely, maybe Merlin wouldn't mind a big sister... :roll:
Were hoping all the replys are similar and then she said she's found her breed. Even better that they range from medium to large in size as female can be similar in size to a small lab.

They do sound fab. And a female might not be to big for merlin :D :lol:
ZaraD

Post by ZaraD »

Thank you so much lotsaquestions after hearing from more breeders, kera has decided the Eurasier is for her. And one of the breeders has invited her to a Eurasier walk :D
ZaraD

Post by ZaraD »

A reply Frome one of the breeders

" Hi Kera,

Ive always had dogs but my partner Andrew never owned a dog before our first eurasier Tyler. They are a great first time dogs! so long as the person is willing to put in the time they need for excersise and training. You will find, like with any breed, some individual dogs are a bit more strong minded, But thats part of the reason we match our puppies to their new owners, taking into account personalitys, lifestyles and experience of the new owner , rather then let them pick as it's important the right puppy goes to the right home, Some of our pups from our last litter went to first time dog owners and have made lovely additions to the family. With time and training you cant go wrong, plus any good breeder is always happy to help if needed, I'm always happy to help my puppy owners.

In regards to barking, out of my 3, one never barks and the two girls only bark if someone comes to the door. You can of course train them to be quiet, we just dont always hear the door so we dont mind the occasional bark.

Training wise they are not hard to train, but I would say need consistant positive training and rules from the start. Lots are food orientated, but some arent, in these cases training useing a favorite toy or affection can replace food as a reward.

I think and our situation is proof, they can make wonderful first time dogs. If you have the time to put into them they are great dogs for first time owners and experienced owners as well, very loving and of course beautiful.

If you would like to meet some more eurasiers and their owners the uk Eurasier club frequently arranges eurasiers walks anyone can attend, we ocasionally host ourselves and your more than welcome to come along. Also if your on facebook we have the eurasier lovers group, where people interested in the breed can ask questions to owners or breeders like myself if they wish and benefit from a depth of experiences and knowledge.

Glad to hear from someone whos done their research into the breed and it sounds like you have the ideal lifestyle for a eurasier. They are like shadows they like to follow you round everywhere you go :).

If you have anymore questions or would like more infomation, please dont hesitate to get in touch, im always happy to advise people intrested in the breed. Likewise if your interested in a puppy from us or would like reccomendations of breeders feel free to drop us an email.

Kind regards

Kelly Parkinson (glasir eurasiers)
Lotsaquestions

Post by Lotsaquestions »

Yay! They really are beautiful dogs. When you visit the walk let me know if you notice any on the smaller side, I am still considering one myself but 18kg is probably the size limit. I don't want another Merlin flattening incident!
ZaraD

Post by ZaraD »

Lotsaquestions wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:39 am Yay! They really are beautiful dogs. When you visit the walk let me know if you notice any on the smaller side, I am still considering one myself but 18kg is probably the size limit. I don't want another Merlin flattening incident!
Will do she goes on the walk at the end of the month. :D
ZaraD

Post by ZaraD »

Yesterday kera was lucky enough to see a Eurasier last night when I was walking Sampson and we were talking to the owner and she told her they are fantastic dogs but they need tons of exercise!! We told her all the breeders told us at least 1hr a day and that there adaptable and will be happy with at least 1hrs a day during the week and will be happy with longer walks at the weekend. But she said that's wrong they need at least four walks a day and one walk has to be 1hr and then three other walks after that. Surely all the Eurasier breeders, society and Eurasier club can't be wrong? Even on the KC website says 1hr a day. I mean four walks seems wrong and kera can't do four walks she was going to only do tow one in the morning and one in the evening and the morning one will be 40mins off leash running and playing once she's got good recall.

Any Advice as she has gone from being so , so happy from talking to breeds, the club and society to be deflated know.