Shar pei?

Breed specific discussion of your favorite breed.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

ZaraD

Shar pei?

Post by ZaraD »

Hi all

The house next door to me has sold and I will be getting new neighbours who when he came to see the house he had tow Shar Pei's with him I said hello and he was very friendly and I said was lovly dogs he had and said he actually has 8 of them as he loves this breed!!!! I just wanted to know what to expect in a way as I don't know much about the breed and was hoping you could tell me what there like as when I do get my golden ( I decided with Emmabeths help to go for a Golden retriever) I want to know what the breed is like as she ( my future golden) will be living next door to 8!!! :shock:

So what are Shar Pei's like?
Suzette

Re: Shar pei?

Post by Suzette »

My sisters neighbor from several years ago had shar pei and they were very loyal to their family to the point of being very wary of anyone else. They were super protective of their family and territorial in their yard. One of theirs was kind of sweet and friendly to strangers, but their other three were not. At all. To me they are too much of a question mark when it comes to people and other animals.

Initially they were bred as fighting dogs and then over-breeding for years did the breed no good in many ways. I think in your case the old adage "good fences make good neighbors" will be very true. I would have a very sturdy fence between them, and mine would be high and one they could not see through.
My avatar is Piper, my sweet Pembroke Corgi. b. 5/11/11
ZaraD

Post by ZaraD »

Thanks for your advice :D . since he moved in he has asked me himself if I can put in more secure fencing in and wants to put 7ft high fencing that goes really deep underground so they can dig under the fence. So I'm very happy for my Future Goldie.
Suzette

Post by Suzette »

Sounds like you have a very nice neighbor who knows how to manage his dogs and keep his neighbors happy. :D

I had a goldie years ago. Wonderful dogs!! I will eagerly be waiting to see pics of yours when you get him. :D
My avatar is Piper, my sweet Pembroke Corgi. b. 5/11/11