What is she?!

Breed specific discussion of your favorite breed.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Foxtrot

What is she?!

Post by Foxtrot »

I know it's all well and good theorising and that I'd never know really without a DNA test, but what do we think she might be?

light brown, looks darker than she is in the second picture,

She's a rescue, found in a box with her siblings. One brother and one sister look like her, the other three look as if they could be something close to pure English Pointer (rather than german SH) she's about 4/5 months, somewhat underweight because she had a fair old roundworm burden but I suspect she is always going to be lithe a she is very narrow of shoulder.

Whippy tail. Quite long in body and tail - big paws, webbed.

Not very tall at the moment, smallish springer in height? but very leggy so suspect there's growing left to do and now she's on a decent diet and on the road to being worm free hopefully things will start going in the right direction.

The first photo she looks like she has a bit of a beard going on, she doesn't, just saggy puppy skin and the angle I think.

Ears stick out - rather bat like, bears a striking resembelance to Dobby the house elf at times. Her head is quite narrow but maybe the sticky out ears exagerate that? These are all the photos I currently have...

She sits very 'upright', people comment on it, like she's a bookend if you see what I mean. Doesn't seem to point naturally, not even to the extent that my parents springers sometimes will.

Lab cross pointer?? Something else?
Last edited by Foxtrot on Sat Feb 11, 2017 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shalista

Re: What is she?!

Post by Shalista »

idk what she is except gorgeous =) you're such a lucky fur mama =)
Baxter (AKA Bax, Chuckles, Chuckster) Rat Terrier, born 01/16/13
Foxtrot

Post by Foxtrot »

Shalista wrote:idk what she is except gorgeous =) you're such a lucky fur mama =)
I just can't make my mind up. I did wonder if there could be a bit of a lurchery thing going on but now she's finally putting on weight I think that was just her skinniness that gave that impression as she really doesn't look that way now.

Is it true pups from the same litter can have different fathers?
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

The photos don't really show her physique - a side-on photo of her standing would be good. I can see chocolate lab but not anything else really.

If there's a bit of lurcher in there, it often shows up when they run - they really stretch out, then coil, and stretch... Sometimes it's only when a dog runs that I can clearly see the lurcher in it.

She's gorgeous, whatever she is!
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
Foxtrot

Post by Foxtrot »

JudyN wrote:The photos don't really show her physique - a side-on photo of her standing would be good. I can see chocolate lab but not anything else really.

If there's a bit of lurcher in there, it often shows up when they run - they really stretch out, then coil, and stretch... Sometimes it's only when a dog runs that I can clearly see the lurcher in it.

She's gorgeous, whatever she is!
She bounces :lol: like a deer, only way I can describe it. Or like a fox trying to get something out from under the snow.

A friend drew a card before she saw her and was oddly accurate.

Her face looks rather weird in this one, not her angle!

Not doing her usual sit here as she wanted to eat the card and kept sliding forward on the laminate.

https://instagram.com/p/BQYrt0wADsP/
Foxtrot

Post by Foxtrot »

This was her when she arrived three weeks ago, very thin and smelly,

She has in under a month gone from 6.5kg to just over 11 :) still too thin, very waisted, but getting better.

Again she's much lighter brown in reality

https://instagram.com/p/BPTPeqojBYU/
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Don't waste your money on DNA testing. It can tell if the parents are the parents but it cannot define breed. It's a computer programme, nothing more.

Yes a b itch can have a litter with several different fathers.

The feet and colour lean towards gundogs - lab or German shorthaired pointer, for instance - but we really do need to see a side-on profile.

She's very pretty! Is she from Ireland?
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Nettle wrote:Don't waste your money on DNA testing. It can tell if the parents are the parents but it cannot define breed. It's a computer programme, nothing more.
I think some can be fairly accurate now. Certainly, when some lurcher owners have had DNA tests on their dogs, the results have seemed to correspond to the look of the dog (as far as I know you don't send in a photo of the dog or describe its coat). Though a friend of mine is a bit upset to find that what he thought was a saluki x which had for some reason been shaved bald when rescued and then developed a surprisingly fluffy coat turned out to be almost half poodle :lol: .
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Some of them ask for a photo :lol: doesn't give you faith.

If it wasn't so expensive I'd like to see what they made of mine - I know exactly what's in 'em and would be interesting to see how close they came to reality.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
Erica

Post by Erica »

JudyN wrote:Though a friend of mine is a bit upset to find that what he thought was a saluki x which had for some reason been shaved bald when rescued and then developed a surprisingly fluffy coat turned out to be almost half poodle :lol: .
xD Poodles do have a very light and pointy frame, compared to most non-sighthound breeds!

I think for simple mixes -- first generation crosses (eg poodle x lab) it does a good job of those, and three or four breed results tend to look suitable. Once you get more mixed, like five or more breeds, it tends to get more and more unbelievable. A 70 lb dog being a quarter Jack Russel Terrier doesn't make too much sense. ;) And from one test I've seen, Chows seem to start popping up in the mixier mixed breeds, though I've not seen nearly so many free-roaming Chows as to make me think half of the shelter dogs have Chow ancestry.

I am soooo interested in having some known-quantity mixed breeds (lurchers, sport mixes) tested to see how well the DNA tests do.
Delta, standard poodle, born 6/30/14
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Yes, I'd love to get Jasper's DNA checked for the same reason. I pretty well trust his breeder and I can see all of the four breeds in him to some extent (deerhound, greyhound, bedlington and Irish terrier). Though if the DNA results came back differently I wouldn't know whether to trust the results or the breeder.
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Foxtrot, I was looking at your photos again and wondering if there could be any spaniel in there? It was something about the expression and head carriage, and it would tie in with the gundog type. Have a search for images of springadors and see what you think. Not sure if the ears are big enough though.
Foxtrot

Post by Foxtrot »

JudyN wrote:Foxtrot, I was looking at your photos again and wondering if there could be any spaniel in there? It was something about the expression and head carriage, and it would tie in with the gundog type. Have a search for images of springadors and see what you think. Not sure if the ears are big enough though.
Anything is possible,

I wonder all sorts of things.

Just got the results back from the fecal test and she has giardia still (as I suspected) and a co-infection of crypto something or other than has ridden in on the back of the giardia....so back on the panacur and something else which I have to manage with a syringe (learning curve) so she looks all the more lurcher like at the moment due to the overt skinniness.