English mastiff

Breed specific discussion of your favorite breed.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

master2

English mastiff

Post by master2 »

Hi

The friend who is suppose to get a bullmastiff has been told by the breeder that an English mastiff that made the bullmastiff is eaiser for a newbie than the bullmastiff, is this true?

I don't really agree I think there both going to be a struggle for a newbie. What do you think.
Erica

Re: English mastiff

Post by Erica »

Depends on what you want in a dog. If you can physically handle the large dog, don't care too much about trick training (or much training at all), don't care about drool, and enjoy a leisurely stroll more than a powerwalk, an English mastiff might be a good match. Zeus was tricky as a young pup - big, strong, didn't notice much beyond what he was paying attention to, and wanted to say hello to every person, dog, and butterfly that passed. But once he was an adult he didn't do much. It was like having a large living rug that you couldn't step on and that you had to take outside and feed occasionally, and which drooled everywhere. :lol:
Delta, standard poodle, born 6/30/14
master2

Post by master2 »

With what you said Erica the English sounds perfect for her ( zeus is an English mastiff I'm presuming) she only plans on teaching the mastiff what he can and can't do in the house like jumping up is a big no and just teaching things like not pulling ect. But she's not overly bothered with things like sit, come , down ect. He won't be allowed off leash just in a long leash unless she's in the garden then is OK to be off leash. My friend has a medium house but acres of land for the mastiff to run. She's not a very active person either which is what attracted her to the mastiff.

Her husband will be walking the dog first until he's leashed trains so she can handle the dog.
master2

Post by master2 »

Hi

Just wanted to tell you she is sticking with bullmastiff as she thinks the English would be to big.