Difference between Showline and working line border collies?

Breed specific discussion of your favorite breed.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Theo400

Difference between Showline and working line border collies?

Post by Theo400 »

Hi all

Earlier in the year I told you my friend was considering getting a BC as her first dog as she is very active and can provide 2hrs+ exercise a day plus lots of mental exercise as well.

She has been meeting Showline borders like what you see at crufts and she was told that there very different to working line and that there a lot calmer and more suited to pet life?

I wanted to ask if this is true are Showline easier than most BC?

Otherwise it will be a Rough Collie.
Nettle

Re: Difference between Showline and working line border collies?

Post by Nettle »

Not 'easier' but less driven, as with any breed split into show and working lines. Compared to other breeds, the quietest border collie is still a real handful.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
DogSupport

Post by DogSupport »

There are difference between working line and showline border collies not just because of looks, but because working line BCs have a job to do.

If you want to do herding, then you should look for a working line BC.

Showline BCs are good of doing any performance sports. There are many successful agility and flyball competitions with showline BCs.
mum24dog

Post by mum24dog »

Genetically pretty much separate breeds from recent research.

Bear in mind that the show world breeds for what a dog looks like, not what it can do.

If you want a dog for sports you are better getting one that has been bred with a desire to work with and please humans, and that isn't the show type.

I'm not saying that no show bred dogs can be successful but if you want to improve the odds I would go for working bred any time. Wouldn't touch show bred for agility, which is my main interest.

On the other hand, if you want a dog that looks like a BC without any of the traits that define the breed then go for show bred.

My youngster is very well bred for work. He's a great pet but also excels at agility, has the potential to do well in obedience If only it interested me enough, and shows talent for sheep work.
mum24dog

Post by mum24dog »

Going back to the question of exercise, bcs don't need anywhere near as much as many people think. A healthy example of the breed will take as much as is on offer but won't need it.

The very best favour anyone can do for their bc is to teach it to switch off and be content with its own company. Constant attention will only lead to a needy and demanding dog.