Newfoundland advice

Breed specific discussion of your favorite breed.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Fudgeandcoco

Newfoundland advice

Post by Fudgeandcoco »

Hi all.

I was between the Cocker and Labrador and wanted Fudge to meet some in person so took her to breeders who did not have puppies so we could see how she was with them.

Unfortunately she dislike all 4 labs and all 12 Cocker's she met them sepreatly and this was at different breeders. At the lab breeders house she owned 3 GSD and she played with them instead of the labs and seemed to like all 3. Even though she choose the GSD that day I did not as I want to like the breed as well as her and GSD are not my cup of tea.

This morning I came to my uncle's house for a visit and he own 5 Newfies Fudge had never met them before so I was worried how she would be, I was so shocked she came alive and was jumping all of the place with excitement and after greeting them she went into a play bow with one of the newfs and she has been playing with them all this morning. I'm still at my uncle's and have a very slobbery newf next to me as I'm typing.

I have asked my uncle what there like but he is bias to the newf plus he has a litter at the moment who Fudge adores one of the male pups. So I wanted to ask here for honest info on the Newfie? I still have lots of research to do. But wanted to get advice here first.

My uncle said pups will be microchipped to owners name,

Will not be vaccinated as he says there to young he said first vacc should be given 8-9 weeks old.

They are KC registered , will come with a puppy pack and 8weeks free insurance. Plus a lifetime of help and advice , and if for whatever reason an owner can't keep the newf at any age the newf must be returned to him. Wormed and flead up to date. Pups will be weaned on raw.

Mom and dad are healthy and both have hip scores of 0\0 = 0 both mom and dad have these great hip scores. He has bred a litter as he want to add to his show team as He shows them tow pup are going to search and rescue. Both parents have had other tests as he showed me but I can't rember what there called I would ask again.

Can anyone give me advice on the Newfoundland. ( I'm aware of the slobber and it does not bother me neither does there size) are they easy to train as my uncle said the are a relative of the Labrador and there very smart?
Nettle

Re: Newfoundland advice

Post by Nettle »

Given your uncle's background, you are best to immerse yourself in his Newfies and find out all you can about them from and with him. Hip score of 0/0 is unprecedented in the breed and kudos to him for achieving this. It's too good a learning opportunity to waste, having the breed in quantity and in the family with such a great record for show and work. You will soon find out if a newfie is the right dog for you.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
Fudgeandcoco

Post by Fudgeandcoco »

Hi Nettle

He said it took years to achieve them hip scores and required him to be very careful who he brought from.

I shall ask him everything I want to know and if I do need further help I shall ask.

Is it true what he said about the Newfie created the Labrador and that Newfies are easy to train?
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Some sources maintain a link existed between the labrador and the newfie and so it is worth investigation, but information is unreliable so very much a case of there probably is, but it was all a long time ago when dogs were bred for work and breed purity wasn't an issue.

I wouldn't call them as easy to train as a labrador but it's likely your uncle is every bit as good a newfie trainer as he is a breeder, so they seem easy to him. Sounds as if you can learn a lot about training from him too. What a lovely position to be in!

Fudgeandcoco

Post by Fudgeandcoco »

Hi all

I had a wonderful day at my uncle's and I have really fallen for the newf like Fudge and can see why she likes them so much they have the most gentlest nature. However I am so torn at the moment as my heart and mind agree with each other that after learning about newf they are perfect for mine and fudges lifestyle but I only have one problem and that's the drooloing. :cry: I love this breed so much with all the info my uncle gave me.

I'm fine with drooling on walls, furniture, ornaments, carpets, ect but I just don't know if I could handle it on my clothes. Today I was not dressed up but on most days I do wear really nice clothes and I like to dress up when I take Fudge to the beach or when we go to a fair ect. Please help as iv found the perfect breed for me and Fudge but there just this one thing stopping me from commuting to a newf. Is there a way I could own a newf and even take him to these places and still be able to dress nice?
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Think of it as training for parenthood when you'll happily spend your days in clothes smeared with vomit, snot and worse :lol: Why not ask your uncle if you can take one of his dogs for a walk, and see what state you're in by the time you get back?
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
Erica

Post by Erica »

A family I know had a mastiff; they got a few drool rags to keep around the house and especially by the door for when they got home from work. If they wore nice clothes on walks, they'd have packed one of the drool mittens (I don't know where you'd get one but it was just a big sort of mitten with which to wipe away drool. They'd just put on the mitten or grab a rag and wipe the dog's mouth, sort of like a chin rub so he was always happy to have it done :)
Delta, standard poodle, born 6/30/14
Fundog

Post by Fundog »

I once knew a lady who had a newf, and would bring him to the local dog park... she carried a cloth diaper or a dish towel in her back pocket at all times, lol.
If an opportunity comes to you in life, say yes first, even if you don't know how to do it.
Fudgeandcoco

Post by Fudgeandcoco »

Thank you to everyone who gave me advice.

I have decided drool won't bother me after all as like JudyN said it will be preparing me for parenthood :wink: .

Me and Fudge have decided that a newf is the breed for us. But I want to still do more research and meet other newfs like when I go to crufts this year.
Fudgeandcoco

Post by Fudgeandcoco »

Hello

I am still learning about newfs andci have a question my uncle's newfs bark a lot and I asked do newfs bark like this a lot and he said no my newfs bark a lot because I have not fully trained them to not bark as I don't need to ( he lives on a farm so he has no neighbours) but he said as a breed there actually very quiet that newfscdont normally bark a lot. His do because he allows it.

So I wanted to ask if he's right that as a breed newfs tend to not be big barkers?
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Logic argues that if they bark a lot because they haven't been taught not to bark a lot, then they like to bark a lot.

Experience argues that a large group of dogs will bark more than a single dog.

I think the time has come for you to meet some other newfies.

Horace's Mum

Post by Horace's Mum »

Horus' hydrotherapist has 3 newfies and they are very quiet. They aren't trained very well, but she would freely admit that is her fault rather than theirs - she does train them in water rescue, they just don't do normal obedience type stuff. They don't go offlead unless there are no other dogs (they live in a busy town) so recall isn't great, but again I think that is down to her rather than them. They have a beautiful nature though, and walk nicely on the lead etc. I can't say I particularly noticed them drooling much in comparison to the danes I have met!
Fudgeandcoco

Post by Fudgeandcoco »

Horace's Mum wrote:Horus' hydrotherapist has 3 newfies and they are very quiet. They aren't trained very well, but she would freely admit that is her fault rather than theirs - she does train them in water rescue, they just don't do normal obedience type stuff. They don't go offlead unless there are no other dogs (they live in a busy town) so recall isn't great, but again I think that is down to her rather than them. They have a beautiful nature though, and walk nicely on the lead etc. I can't say I particularly noticed them drooling much in comparison to the danes I have met!
Thanks for your reply. I like hearing from other people and the experience around them. I will be meeting some at crufts :D