Belgian Shepherd (groenendael)

Breed specific discussion of your favorite breed.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Houndlover

Belgian Shepherd (groenendael)

Post by Houndlover »

Hi

I'm enquiring for breed info on the Belgian Shepherd (groenendael only) the one that only comes in black , on behalf of my friend.

He lost his last dog a GSD 2yrs ago and he's ready for another dog.

Dexter was GH is second GSD and he is not sure on whether to get another GSD or to get a BS.

Can anyone give me info for him on the BS but the groenendael type only , compared to a GSD what they would be like to live with and train ect.

Thank you
Nettle

Re: Belgian Shepherd (groenendael)

Post by Nettle »

Really, your friend must investigate this for himself, because only he knows what he is going to like or find difficult. I suggest he talks to some GOOD breeders, goes to a few shows and watches how the dogs behave, finds a breed club if one is nearby, and sees for himself whether he wants to manage such a dog or get another GSD. We here don't know any more than you have told us, which isn't enough to know what would suit him best. There is a lot of information hidden in someone having owned a dog or two dogs for x years, because we don't know how he got along with the dog/s and what issues they worked through. This is no disrespect to your friend, merely being practical. IME a G is harder work than a GSD by a mile, but not quite as driven as a Malinois (few dogs are!).
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
mum24dog

Post by mum24dog »

My mother used to breed them many years ago. They were OK but nowadays I don't like the stiff and upright conformation and they seem to be more nervy than I remember. Same applies to Tervs.
mum24dog

Post by mum24dog »

Just thinking, comparing a Groenendael with a GSD is like comparing a Rough Collie with BC.