My Toy Pomeranian has a Luxating Patella

Breed specific discussion of your favorite breed.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

picco

My Toy Pomeranian has a Luxating Patella

Post by picco »

Hi I am new to this site. I have just discovered that my six year old toy Pomeranian has a luxating patella in both legs. Her right leg is a Grade 4. I took in this beautiful little dog as a rescue and I have never owned such a small dog. I wondered if anyone on this site has a small dog that has this condition and did you have the operation carried out. I am nervous about her having the op as it is not guaranteed to be successful. In fact the failure rate is quite significant. She would have to have two general anaesthetics and the chance of infection of course. I am giving her glucosamine and chondroitin, a diet free of grains and I am now taking her for a few short walks instead of long walks. The exercise helps keep her leg muscles strong. I would just like to speak to someone whose furry friend has undergone this operation or had holistic treatment for the condition. Thank you in advance.
Erica

Re: My Toy Pomeranian has a Luxating Patella

Post by Erica »

I wish I could be of more help. My sister's dog has luxating patellas, but very mild, so she doesn't plan to do surgery for now. Keeping the dog at a proper weight and fit helps. The proper weight for a dog is often much less than what the average owner thinks is good - seeing ribs on a short haired dog is good; easily feeling them on a long-haired dog is good. Seeing/feeling the entire spine is usually an indication that the dog might be underweight, depending on the breed. I would work closely with your vet and really emphasize you want to be sure your pup is on the low end of the weight scale. Many vets don't mention it unless the dog is very overweight.

Whatever your decision, I wish you and your pom luck!
Delta, standard poodle, born 6/30/14
mum24dog

Post by mum24dog »

A friend's young JR had the op a little while ago and is competing at the World Agility Champs this year. The longer you leave it the more chance of irreversible damage. Your dog is young for a small breed and could have many active years ahead of it if treated properly now. However, the only people to advise are your vet who I would hope would have suggested a referral to an orthopaedic consultant.
Horace's Mum

Post by Horace's Mum »

Whether you go ahead with the op or not hydrotherapy would be a good way forward for you. Pre-op it helps to build good quality muscle to help speed recovery and post -op it will help repair and strengthen the leg to allow better weight bearing and often quicker weightbearing. It also help to keep the weight down and helps to fulfill the dog's need for exercise without nearly as much risk of damage.
With a little dog you could easily do it yourself in the bath at home, or a large sink if you have one. You would need a good harness (ruffwear webmaster are good for this) and if you do do it yourself remember it is very hard work so start small and work up very slowly. Literally 1-2 mins to begin with, then rest. Build up gradually, but make sure it is always within the ability of the dog. Mine is superfit now and swims every week but he still does his half hour swim in 3 blocks of 10 with a short break in between. Make sure the water is warm but not too warm - about 28 degrees celsius usually, too cold and the muscles will spasm, too warm and they will turn to jelly and your little dog will overheat! If you have access to a proper hydrotherapist then try and get a few sessions with them to get started, and make sure you clear it with your vet too before you begin.
Shalista

Post by Shalista »

Ditto hydrotherapy but especially the water temperature. In water dogs (and people) lose the ability to cool themselves as well. the water keeps the heat close so overheating is really an issue.
Baxter (AKA Bax, Chuckles, Chuckster) Rat Terrier, born 01/16/13