shih tzu vs English Springer vs English Cocker Spaniel ?

Breed specific discussion of your favorite breed.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

master2

shih tzu vs English Springer vs English Cocker Spaniel ?

Post by master2 »

Hi all

Thanks for the info on long haired GSD my cousin said he will look into it further.

I thought you might be able to help my mom.

She still has one GSD but this will be her last as she know they are to big for her to handle her current one will be 11 this year but he already has health issues and she knows it won't be much longer know until she says goodbye. But she has never been dog free if that makes sense, and does not feel ready to give up owning a dog yet as she is still active but feels a small or medium dog would be best. She has been reading on some breeds but in the medium section she only like the English Springer Spaniel (from England) but then read they are crazy and never tire out and are like border collie so she is not sure on them if they are like his ?

Then she liked the English Cocker Spaniel (from England) but again she was worried about engery levels with what she read. She is very active and its not the engey level of the GSD as she can still handle that its the size of them and that she feels they are getting to powerful for her so would like to downsize but both of the breeds above that I said she has read that they are way more active than a GSD. What do you think about this?

Then she also was thinking that even though she is very active (she just turned 51 tow weeks ago) she was thinking that on average dogs can live up to 12 and some even more and she does not know what she will be like when she hits her 60's and thought maybe a shih tzu might be better but the she read they are the hardest to train?

She only wants to train basic manners nothing to fancy, are shih tzu's hard to train even if your holding a piece of hotdog or cheese :wink: ?

There is not much she does not like in dogs except barking so preferably a dog that did not bark much or one who is easily trained not to bark. Also no herding or toy breeds in case you want to give your own suggestions.

What do you think my mom should do and do you know any of the breeds.
Nettle

Re: shih tzu vs English Springer vs English Cocker Spaniel ?

Post by Nettle »

Spaniels you mention will be far too lively.

How about a cavalier king charles spaniel? You will need to make sure you find a really good breeder as there are health issues, but a healthy one has all the charm of a spaniel without the extreme energy.

Shih Tzu is way different from any spaniel. Tell us what the appeal is to your mother of that specific breed. Big grooming commitment, quite vocal, no more difficult to train than any other dog. And it IS a toy breed.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
Erica

Re: shih tzu vs English Springer vs English Cocker Spaniel ?

Post by Erica »

Cavaliers are very good companion dogs! Super sweet and loving, and if you get a healthy one they can be fairly active when you want them to be ("good walk" active, probably not "marathon runner" active). The two I work with are quite happy to settle down in the house or go on a nice walk. You do have to be careful with them in heat as they have short noses and that can make it difficult for them when it's hot, but shih tzus are much the same in that regard.
Delta, standard poodle, born 6/30/14