Labrador Retriever vs Golden Retriever

Breed specific discussion of your favorite breed.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

ridgebackowner

Labrador Retriever vs Golden Retriever

Post by ridgebackowner »

Hello

I am asking on behalf of my best friend who now has the time dedicated to a new puppy. over 5yrs ago she decided she wanted a dog in the future and fell in love with tow breeds the Goldie and the Lab, she did research and met several of each in person which did not help her choose but she did decide that show line (UK show lines for both) was a better match to her needs.

she volunteered for both a lab and Goldie rescue and she just fell in love even more and still could not decide on either and after 2yrs of volunteering for them she left to focus on choosing which breed was right. now back to 2015, today she still cant make her mind up but she did join a lab and Goldie forum and she said that on both forums when she asked about both breeds both forms said that Goldie's are a lot more calmer compared to a lab and that the Goldie is a much better breed for a newbie to dogs than the lab as Labradors can be devils for the first year or so as they are so active they did tell her that Goldie's are active as well but they just seem calmer compared to the lab. she was also told that Goldie's tend to be more obedient to there owners than labs as labs can get distracted more easily than the Goldie.

what do you think are Goldie more calmer has she been given good advice and is there anything else that any of you could give further advice that may help her.
Ari_RR

Re: Labrador Retriever vs Golden Retriever

Post by Ari_RR »

This is just from observations, I've never been owned by either one...
Both seem to be very people-friendly.
Labs can be a bit confrontational with other dogs.
GR would require a lot more grooming than a Lab.
Either (IMHO) would be a lot easier to train compared to a hound...

If I had this choice, I would pick a lab - grooming a GR would be too much for me.

I've seen some terrific Lab / Great Dane crosses, by the way... A taller, more athletic version of a lab. "labradane".
Just saying ;-)
Nettle

Re: Labrador Retriever vs Golden Retriever

Post by Nettle »

Assistance dogs are often crosses between labs and goldies because they are considered better for calm work than the purebreds. Maybe one of these would suit your friend. Quite a lot don't finish their training and need to be homed as pets instead.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS