Cockerpoos

Breed specific discussion of your favorite breed.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

JudyN

Cockerpoos

Post by JudyN »

DS2's girlfriend's family may be getting a 4-year-old cockerpoo. He's come from a couple who gave him very little attention, never walked him, and he didn't have any toys. He's with them for a trial at the moment.

What are cockerpoos like as a 'breed'? I imagine they are both clever and on the go all the time which could make them challenging. OTOH, unless this one has been wrecking the home he's come from, maybe he has learnt not to expect much and is shut down... could he be quiet to start with and then come out of his shell....?
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
Fundog

Re: Cockerpoos

Post by Fundog »

My parents had one. She was not the least bit neglected, much loved and quite spoiled. However, she was known to terrorize the grandchildren-- very growly, barky, and bitey. This little dog always had to be either shut up in the den or put outside when the grand kids came to visit...
If an opportunity comes to you in life, say yes first, even if you don't know how to do it.
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Just shows how experiences differ - I've never known a nasty one. Doesn't mean they don't exist, but every third person here has one. They are livewires right enough, very intelligent, 'people' dogs but not pushy with other dogs, love being trained. Coats are variable and usually require knowledgable grooming.

Of course, a lot depends on how a pup has been bred and raised, and plenty are bred on a commercial scale, where the usual caveats apply.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Thank you both :D I've seen a photo of this one and it certainly looks as if much grooming will be needed!

DS2 reports back that he doesn't think the dog has been neglected after all - apart from a bit of doorbell reactivity he seems well balanced and well behaved. But now it's not clear whether he is just staying for a short time while his owners get themselves sorted, or whether it could be permanent. They don't even seem to know what he normally eats beyond 'dog food', so they'd bought a random bag of kibble - which he takes as treats but doesn't seem that interested in as a meal. Could be he's been a grazer, which I told DS2 would be a bad idea as he's sharing the house with their other dog.
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009