how do you know if you have found the right breed

Breed specific discussion of your favorite breed.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

ridgebackowner

how do you know if you have found the right breed

Post by ridgebackowner »

Hi

I am asking this on behalf of my brother as im am very happy with my new RR.

ever since I have brought my new Ridgeback puppy home Simba has made my brother want to choose his perfect breed even more. I am very close to my brother and really want to help him.

he is home all day and will be there for the new pup, he does work, he owns his own Gym and only goes in twice a week to check everything is good as he already has a manger who looks after the gym. the dog would go with him when he goes in twice a week but he would take some time off so he can be with the puppy once the puppy is older he will take the pup with him but he is only there for about 3hrs.

I don't need to ask for any breed recommendations as I would rather if you can help tell me how he would know when he has chose the right breed. when he was looking at breeds he originally chose the German Shepherd (I have read everything on here regarding the shep but I thought it would be better to ask) but then he was told that they are aggressive dogs and that they attack everyone , even though he knows this is not true he did start wondering should he get one as his first dog, so then he looked up dog breeds for a first time owner and he chose the Labrador but he kept thinking of the GSD and just did not seem settled like he was with the GSD and then he went of the lab when he read they are friendly to everyone. then he thought should I go small for my first dog so he looked at all the small dog breeds and chose the westie as it was the only one he liked. but when he gave me a lift to pick up Simba the breeder owned a westie and he asked and she said that her Ridgebacks are easier than the westie. so he decided not to get a westie. when I got Simba home after he went outside and then came in and had some water he fell asleep so I asked him did he really want a westie and he said no I don't and asked him what do you want and he said a GSD and i asked why are you not getting one and he told what he was told and I said look I was told this about my RR but you know what they were the only breed I was going to put effort into training and socializing and that is what counts plus there the only breed that make me smile. he said that's how he feels about the shep so I said get one just do your research. so that night after a heart to heart he stuck to the GSD again but this morning (I brought Simba home on Friday) after a few days he told me that he talked to an owner of the GSD and he said he could not stop smiling when he was next to the shepherd but then the owner said that the GSD is the most hardest dog he has ever owned and that they are a nightmare and that he would be better off with another breed.

so he said that he was devastated as he was really happy until speaking to that owner and he know does not know what to do as he told me he wont chose another breed because he just goes back to the GSD and is always thinking of them. but then when people tell him this he has doubts about himself.

I really need your help positively members what should he do? give up owning a dog because of stupid owners of should he go with his heart?

if he keeps thinking of the shepherd and going back to them does this mean he has found the right breed? (he spent 8hrs of crufts just staying at the GSD area of discover dogs)

I think what would really help him is if you could maybe give me a bit more detail about the GSD that what is in some of the other post and I think what will really help Is if you could maybe tell him how a first time owner can be successful at raising and training a GSD so he knows that first time owners have had GSD and have succeed. I really feel for my brother I wish you could all see how miserable he was.
Nettle

Re: how do you know if you have found the right breed

Post by Nettle »

It's useful to list what he can't stand as well as what he really really wants. For instance, I can't stand slobber, which writes off a huge number of breeds.

If a GSD is what he wants, I suggest he gets to know some real GSDs, maybe helping at a breed rescue. Then he'll see if the myth matches the reality.

No breed or dog is perfect and they all have their quirks. The trick is finding quirks you can manage.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
ridgebackowner

Re: how do you know if you have found the right breed

Post by ridgebackowner »

Hi Nettle

thanks for the reply.

that makes a lot of sense. the only GSD rescue near us is does not have there own kennels so he would have to foster but I don't think that would be a good idea for him.

I would be very greatful if you could tell me what the GSD quirks would be?