tips and advice for a new ridgeback owner

Breed specific discussion of your favorite breed.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

ridgebackowner

tips and advice for a new ridgeback owner

Post by ridgebackowner »

Hi

I will be bringing home a new Rhodesian Ridgeback puppy home in 4 weeks time when he will be 10 weeks old :D and would be really greatful for any advice or tips for when I bring him home and if there are any owners of this amazing breed here who could give me and insight into how they have found training and raising a Rhodesian Ridgeback :D.

I have spent 10yrs of my life choosing the breed that would suit my lifestyle and when I choose the Rhodesian Ridgeback I spent a lot of time with breeders and other owners to get a feel for the Ridgeback but He will be my first dog and am fully ready for the roller coaster that puppyhood can be. I would really just like any further info on the breed or advice or experience of ownership.
Suzette

Re: tips and advice for a new ridgeback owner

Post by Suzette »

Welcome! We do indeed have at least one Ridgeback owner on here, Ari__RR. I am sure he will be a great help to you. He should be along shortly... :D
My avatar is Piper, my sweet Pembroke Corgi. b. 5/11/11
ridgebackowner

Post by ridgebackowner »

Hi Suzette

thank you for welcoming me I am so happy to be part of this forum and an looking forward to learning so much from you all.

I look forward to Hearing from Ari_RR. :)
ridgebackowner

Post by ridgebackowner »

the breeder who I am getting Simba from emailed this link on info about the RR http://healthypets.mercola.com/sites/he ... backs.aspx I thought I would post it for Ari_RR to see if there is any truth in this link
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

For general puppy and training advice, check out some of the links here: https://positively.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=11503 Kikopup videos on Youtube are great, and I was very impressed with Patricia McConnell's book Puppy Primer.

Just a small point I disagreed with on the link you posted - it said that even if raised with cats, an RR may not be good with cats without the home as they may look like prey. Now, if my hound (a lurcher, not an RR) sees a 'prey' animal (rabbit or deer) he will be silent and controlled but with every nerve quivering (unless off lead in which case he's gone!), but if he sees a cat he barks, growls and lunges - the cat isn't prey, it's enemy. Though it's just occurred to me that to an RR, a cat might look like a small lion.....
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
Ari_RR

Post by Ari_RR »

I can't wait for you to get your puppy. :D
The article is ok.. Some RRs are more vocal than others, not all of them are silent...

I don't bath mine. Took a few debates with my dearest wife who had spent a lot of time researching the latest advancements in dog shampoos... but at the end common sense prevailed :D We do a lot of hiking in nature parks, he gets muddy and dirty often on the trails, but by the time we get home all it takes is to wipe him off with a towel and he is good as new.

Get some sleep now, before puppy arrives. After that good night sleep will be hard to come by. First few weeks I spent on the sofa downstairs with him next to me, so I could grab him and run outside to pee every time he made a noise... Worked perfectly, we probably had 1 or 2 accidents inside the house if that.

It's true, in my case, that he gets along a lot better with females. With males it can be a hit or miss. But he is not neutered, so my theory is that it really depends on the other boy, and how confident he is with intact dogs.

A point on socializing, because I am sure you will hear from everyone how important it is.. And it is. But go with quality over quantity, make sure that his encounters are pleasant and stress-free.

Cats.. We have a cat too, and she was here already when our RR boy showed up. Long story short - she is a very shy and timid and scared of everything Himalayan girl, but after initial shock and a few months of hiding in the bedroom upstairs, she figured him out. We now have no issues leaving them both free to roam the entire house when we leave. And when we come back, they both sit together at the top of the staircase waiting for their humans, keeping each other company. Very touching :lol:

It's really very much like with children, i guess - puppies are awesome, then they become teenagers and it's hell, then they become adults - and if you managed to live though adolescence you have a great mellow confident dog for many years.

Good luck! Pictures, stories... Looking forward!