Hunting instinct

Breed specific discussion of your favorite breed.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

master2

Hunting instinct

Post by master2 »

Hi Everyone

today I drove down to a local pet store to buy supplies for the boarding kennel and when I was waiting at the till when all of a sudden the woman in front of me being seen to had a dachshund and he started barking and lunging and I turned to were he was looking and I saw a mouse running around I have never screamed so loud I am so scared of mice, rats and snakes, I jumped over the counter (till) and both me and the till assistant were screaming and the dachshund was let of lead and caught the mouse. I have never been so embarrassed in front of other people :oops: :lol: . I was more shocked that a dachshund had caught the mouse as I did not think they were hunters especially when you look at them. I spoke to the owner as she was more shocked than me she said he has never done that before and he is just a pet and from show lines and has not been trained for that but she told me that doxies do have a hunting instinct as they were bred to hunt badgers.

is this true do they have a natural hunting instinct? I thought terriers like borders and Jack Russell 's were the best at catching mice? (I am just interested and love learning new things)

Lookforward to hearing from you all
Master2 :)
JudyN

Re: Hunting instinct

Post by JudyN »

Yes, all dogs will hunt - before we made pets of them, that's how they fed themselves! And dachsunds are hunting dogs - according to Wikipedia:
the standard size dachshund has been developed to scent, chase, and flush out badgers and other burrow-dwelling animals, while the miniature dachshund has been bred to hunt smaller prey such as rabbits. In the American West they have also been used to hunt prairie dogs.
I can't believe an assistant in a pet shop is afraid of mice - I'd have loved to have seen that :lol:
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
master2

Post by master2 »

Hi JudyN

I was just so scared after we were both laughing and when I got back in my car I thought to my self how the hell did she get the job when they sell mice. the mouse running around was a field mouse.

really interesting that Doxies are like that as there so cute with there little legs :) , Looking forward to hearing from everyone else on this.
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Yes, the dachshund's original job was to hunt badgers. Dachs = badger, hund = hound. There are a few hunting dachshunds (though not on badgers) today, hunted both singly and in packs. They are called Teckels, are wire-haired and a less exaggerated shape than show dachsies. They are proper hounds, excellent at following scent, and they bay like thunder!! :)

But, as JudyN says, any dog will hunt. Just that it is nearer the surface in some breeds than others.

And yes, I chuckled at a pet shop worker being scared of a mouse!

And if this happened in England, it was illegal. Since the Hunting Act 2004, it is illegal to hunt mammals with dogs except for rats and rabbits under very specific circumstances.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Nettle wrote:And if this happened in England, it was illegal. Since the Hunting Act 2004, it is illegal to hunt mammals with dogs except for rats and rabbits under very specific circumstances.
Only if intentional, I believe - or if you knew there was a likelihood your dog would hunt something and not take steps to prevent it.
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Would be hard to prove to be "unintentional" if dog was let off lead to catch mouse :wink:

Just making aware, as amazing numbers of people are unaware of the ramifications of the Hunting Act and happily let their dogs chase squirrels etc.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Nettle wrote:Would be hard to prove to be "unintentional" if dog was let off lead to catch mouse :wink:
Ah, I'd missed that bit. Letting a dog off lead in a pet shop seems like a pretty bad idea :wink:
master2

Post by master2 »

Hi JudyN and Nettle

I agree stupid idea to let the dog of the lead I wont be going there again anyways.

I never new that it was illegal that's something else I have learned. what about if you have mice in your house and the dog catches one before you can stop him?
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Again, if unintentional and not something you could predict & prevent, it's OK. But if intentional, as above, it would be illegal. If it was a rat, and on your own property, I believe it would be legal.
master2

Post by master2 »

Hi JudyN

that makes sense now, if it was legal like back in the day which one would have been a better ratter/mouse catcher between a dachshund or a Border terrier?