Why are show lines hated so much.

Breed specific discussion of your favorite breed.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Theo400

Re: Why are show lines hated so much.

Post by Theo400 »

Hi Nettle

well that's good to know :)

but in that case if Theo could be fine, then not every single show line will be in pain then?
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

I cannot speak for any dog :wink: but in the case of pain/not pain for a GSD built the way we are discussing, it is better that they are not made to do things that stress their weak areas. So for instance no repetitive 'sit, stand, down' no activities that involve leaping or spinning on the hindlegs, and owners need to be aware that their dogs need extra consideration due to their physical drawbacks. This is the same as being careful with breeds that don't breathe very well, or ones with over-long backs and very short legs and so on. Any time we keep a dog that has been bred to an unnatural shape, we have to be aware of the difficulties that shape creates.

It is futile to stress over what we can't change so rather than fretting about whether a dog is in pain if we are not certain it is or is not, we have to commit to avoiding or limiting activities that might damage those areas that are already unfit for function.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
TheBealge

Post by TheBealge »

Hi, I was wondering if hyenas are similar to German shepherds. They have sloping backs and although they are not wild dogs they do have similar body types. Hyenas can run fine, and nobody is worried about hyenas having hip problems. I think that it doesn't make much of a difference if a dog has a sloping back or not. That's just my opinion though. :D
P.S. Just saw some really bad pictures of show GSD. I knew that their backs sloped but not that much. That's worse than hyenas. A average German shepherd should be ok. My neighbors must have a working class.
When I signed up, I typed my username in too quickly. I wanted it to be TheBeagle. :lol:
Corgies, beagles, and bassets rock! 8)