why do dog attack humans

Breed specific discussion of your favorite breed.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

shepherdlover

why do dog attack humans

Post by shepherdlover »

hi

I really just want to see what your thoughts are as there are a lot of dog attacks on people recently in the uk and it make me really sad to hear but at the same time I get confused when I am listening to the news or read a article in the paper or online as they always say that the dog attacked with out warning. here's a link to one a attack that is recent why do you think the dog attacked the woman as I am don't understand why he attacked her. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... mouth.html

what do you think as I do get worried my self when I see a staffie/ Rottweiler/ pit bull/ akita etc.
JudyN

Re: why do dog attack humans

Post by JudyN »

I don't think it's possible to comment on that individual case. Dogs don't attack without reason, but without knowing all the details of the event and of the dog's previous life, we could only speculate.

What does worry me is that the owner was considered responsible because the dog had bitten before. All dogs can bite in certain circumstances, and a dog who has bitten can be managed to be perfectly safe in the future. But hey, it's the Daily Mail, so I wouldn't expect any better.

The vast majority of staffies, rottweilers, etc. are perfectly lovely safe dogs - bear in mind that staffies are sometimes called 'nanny dogs' as they are so good with children. But sadly some people want them to be aggressive 'status' dogs and will breed and train for this. Apparently, though, statistically, dashsunds are the most likely dogs to bite :wink:

So unless you know that there are a large number of 'status' dogs in your area, I would treat these breeds as you would any other (bearing in mind that even the labrador who bounces up to you might bite).
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
Nettle

Re: why do dog attack humans

Post by Nettle »

I agree.

Any dog can attack a human if the dog perceives this to be the best course of action. Dogs never attack for no reason, but the reason may not be obvious to the everyday human (as opposed to the dog-aware human).

When you think how many dogs there are in UK which are living in very close proximity to humans, it's a compliment to dogs that there are not more incidents.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS